Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to change/add AOS at TESU
Yes, maybe. I'll see how it goes. Does make me think that if I'm not able to know even how to change my program, if I'm really cut out for this whole degree thing.

It looks like I'll have to wait until May to ask for the change, as I've finished the cornerstone course, but it still lists it as "in progress". So I guess I have to wait until the course officially finishes in May (it started March 4th) to be marked complete.

And then once it's marked as complete, I can ask if I can add the BSBA and have the cornerstone count for that one too.

There has been so much "hurry up and wait"!
(03-11-2019, 04:15 PM)Kartvelian Wrote: Yes, maybe. I'll see how it goes. Does make me think that if I'm not able to know even how to change my program, if I'm really cut out for this whole degree thing.

It looks like I'll have to wait until May to ask for the change, as I've finished the cornerstone course, but it still lists it as "in progress". So I guess I have to wait until the course officially finishes in May (it started March 4th) to be marked complete.

And then once it's marked as complete, I can ask if I can add the BSBA and have the cornerstone count for that one too.

There has been so much "hurry up and wait"!

No reason to wait. The cornerstone will count for both and it won't matter if you add the BSBA now or later.

P.S. Giving in when things get a little confusing is the number one reason that folks end up either spending way too much time or money on their education...or worse dropping out. I promise you that you can "get" this if you will just keep trying.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • suzycupcake
Don't ask them to change it (which removes the old) - ask them to Add the new one.  You can only graduate with two bachelor degrees from TESU, but as an enrolled student (which you are) you can have as many official degree evaluations as you wish (at least officially - I assume if you asked them to add 'all degrees they offer' there would be resistance).  I had 4 bachelor degrees listed in my evaluation at one point.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(03-11-2019, 11:38 AM)Kartvelian Wrote: It seems obvious once I know I guess. ha.

I think i will be better off going to a "normal" university because this stuff seems beyond me. I dont know how you guys know all of this.

Sorry to bother everyone.

It seems a bit obfuscated since we're taking a nontraditional approach to earning our degrees, even for a nontraditional school like TESU. Most folks will just take courses directly from their college and end up taking longer and paying a lot more to get their degree. We're more about finding ways to leverage our existing life experiences, skills, and professional knowledge to move through the system faster and pay far less than the traditional approach. So we need to jump through more hoops and learn more about the system in order to find the loopholes. It takes time, but you can learn a lot in a pretty short time by reading the forum; the wiki, sticky posts, and older post archives are particularly valuable to people who are trying to figure things out.

We were all where you are now. It feels overwhelming at first but you'll gain confidence as you learn more.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
You are all very supportive. I won't give up yet. I feel quite okay when I am taking courses and studying for tests. It is just as soon as I have to navigate at TESU that I suddenly find myself wondering if this is all just very beyond me.

I will go ahead and ask them to add in the extra two degrees/concentrations (thanks Davewill and allvia for the suggestion!), and maybe they will let me have the cornerstone count for both my degrees.

I am having a lot of fun with the gen eds (just got started on Art History yesterday!), so I don't want to throw in the towel quite yet.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kartvelian's post:
  • Merlin
Updating to say that this morning I got an email from the person assigned as my advisor, introducing herself. Woohoo!

In case any other new TESU students are confused by making changes to their enrollment, and put off by the slightly condescending responses from some on this forum that make you feel like an incompetent moron - don't stress! You need to wait for that first contact from your TESU adviser (in my case, it was over 3 months after I was first accepted). The email will be titled something like 'TESU INFO: Welcome from your academic advisor'.
Just remember that it's easy for those who have been through the whole process to look back and say 'no, it's super obvious and you should know this stuff already, because I do', and don't get disheartened! If someone says 'in every email correspondence with TESU, they tell you to email advising' and you have no idea what they're talking about - there's not something wrong with you. Stick with it, and have faith that there isn't anything wrong with you, and don't ever think you're not capable of going to university! Don't let the know-it-alls get you down!

I was so tempted to cancel my TESU enrollment after first posting here and seeing some of the responses, and I am so glad I didn't. :-)
(03-17-2019, 12:47 PM)Kartvelian Wrote: Updating to say that this morning I got an email from the person assigned as my advisor, introducing herself. Woohoo!

In case any other new TESU students are confused by making changes to their enrollment, and put off by the slightly condescending responses from some on this forum that make you feel like an incompetent moron - don't stress! You need to wait for that first contact from your TESU adviser (in my case, it was over 3 months after I was first accepted). The email will be titled something like 'TESU INFO: Welcome from your academic advisor'.
Just remember that it's easy for those who have been through the whole process to look back and say 'no, it's super obvious and you should know this stuff already,  because I do', and don't get disheartened! If someone says 'in every email correspondence with TESU, they tell you to email advising' and you have no idea what they're talking about - there's not something wrong with you. Stick with it, and have faith that there isn't anything wrong with you, and don't ever think you're not capable of going to university! Don't let the know-it-alls get you down!

I was so tempted to cancel my TESU enrollment after first posting here and seeing some of the responses, and I am so glad I didn't. :-)

I'm not really certain what you're talking about in regards to condescending responses in this respect.  But I will tell you that no other school waits 3 months to contact you, and you'll probably never hear from your "advisor" ever again.  The turnover at TESU is high, and students aren't assigned a single advisor to get you through the process.

If you were to apply at WGU or COSC, you will hear from your advisor (someone you'll actually be working with on a regular basis) probably 2-3 days after you apply.  TESU's customer service is deplorable.

BTW - that is a knock on TESU, not on you.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 258 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,156 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 568 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch