Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Humanities Works
I know that I might be in the minority on this board but my primary interest is in the Humanities and so I thought I'd post this page in order to address some of the issues that are frequently raised in discussions about these degrees.
http://humanitiesworks.org/
(01-26-2021, 12:04 PM)Alpha Wrote: I know that I might be in the minority on this board but my primary interest is in the Humanities and so I thought I'd post this page in order to address some of the issues that are frequently raised in discussions about these degrees.

Let me preface by saying I have no problem with the humanities or people who major in the humanities. 

I noticed that the site you linked to compared humanities majors to biology and psychology majors. Bio and psyche majors are unfortunately notorious for their undergrads being underemployed compared to some other STEM majors(CS, engineering, etc.), without any further grad work. The site also contained some comparisons to criminal justice majors and business majors, two other degree fields that have poor supply vs demand. While the data may be factual, it is cherry picked and appears to contain heavy bias. Just remember to critically analyze this information before forming an opinion.

Most importantly: pursue your passions but have a plan. Smile
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • rachel83az
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." (Mark Twain)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha's post:
  • Virginia_wr
(01-26-2021, 12:04 PM)Alpha Wrote: I know that I might be in the minority on this board but my primary interest is in the Humanities and so I thought I'd post this page in order to address some of the issues that are frequently raised in discussions about these degrees.

Humanitiesworks.org Wrote:Graduates with humanities majors earn comparable median salaries ($53,000 for English majors, for example) to those majoring in biology ($56,000), environmental science ($57,000), and psychology ($49,000).

So now we have a list of all that majors that suck, Humanities, English, Biology, Environmental Science, and Psychology thanks!!! 

[Image: giphy.gif]
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(01-26-2021, 02:28 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
Quote:Graduates with humanities majors earn comparable median salaries ($53,000 for English majors, for example) to those majoring in biology ($56,000), environmental science ($57,000), and psychology ($49,000).

So now we have a list of all that majors that suck, Humanities, English, Biology, Environmental Science, and Psychology thanks!!! 

I wouldn't say they suck, I'd just say that they are fairly generic, and some (like Psych) require a higher degree to get paid more.  These incomes aren't terrible, they're probably around the national average.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-26-2021, 02:28 PM)LevelUP Wrote:

Humanitiesworks.org Wrote:Graduates with humanities majors earn comparable median salaries ($53,000 for English majors, for example) to those majoring in biology ($56,000), environmental science ($57,000), and psychology ($49,000).

I suppose that I could have gotten a degree in Accounting, but then I'd have to actually be an Accountant (substitute Computer geek, insert clip from Office Space) Big Grin
"The story that English majors end up working at Starbucks is just the latest version of a myth that’s been going around for decades."

This is true!

A friend of mine earned a degree in English from one of the top 100 universities. (over $150k tuition total)
He ended up working at a department store for a year.
Later, he got another bachelor in Business Administration to change his career. Now he's working as a real estate guy.

Some talented people can make millions of dollars by working as a content writer. In that case, English major will help.
But if you're not truly talented in writing, don't bother with English major.

or maybe you can try to teach English in third world countries??
[-] The following 1 user Likes nomaduser's post:
  • rachel83az
There are good reasons to get an English degree. But you should have a career picked out ahead of time so you know that there are jobs waiting. Otherwise, even if you do well at writing, you're probably going to struggle.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Virginia_wr
English degrees are underrated. There is actually a shortage of English majors. More and more businesses are hiring English majors over generic business degrees. They teach soft skills and critical thinking. English is far from an easy degree. FWIW I think mark cuban actually touched on this during an interview.
(02-05-2021, 10:24 AM)Pats20 Wrote: English degrees are underrated. There is actually a shortage of English majors. More and more businesses are hiring English majors over generic business degrees. They teach soft skills and critical thinking. English is far from an easy degree. FWIW I think mark cuban actually touched on this during an interview.

On that basis, I would think that a History degree could be just as valuable. You learn critical thinking and analysis skills that might not be covered in a simple English degree PLUS you have to be able to interpret and convey your findings to other people.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why Majoring in the Humanities Can Be a Great Career Move allvia 1 328 10-08-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Sometimes timing works in your favor Insert Name 3 622 07-14-2022, 06:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Humanities Degrees and Stem Degrees Deserve Equal Respect LevelUP 12 2,057 03-10-2022, 07:54 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Clarification on how Pell Grant works? OP88 2 695 05-31-2021, 03:51 PM
Last Post: OP88
  Upper Level Humanities and/or Ethics radconjohn 4 1,836 06-21-2018, 07:39 AM
Last Post: quigongene
  CLEP Humanities TexasTink 5 2,189 06-09-2018, 02:19 AM
Last Post: Ideas
  Humanities CLEP Questions jkovie 9 4,449 12-01-2017, 12:59 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  which humanities test idahorocks 1 1,222 11-17-2017, 06:08 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Humanities Modern States chasey11442 2 1,688 09-06-2017, 08:09 PM