Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLEP Humanities
2 part question - first, do y'all know what practice tests are most similar to the real test?  I took the Free CLEP Prep cold to get an idea of where I was at - scored 61%.  I also was able to pinpoint 3 main areas to work on which was great.  I went through the Modern States course - unfortunately, they copied all the questions from the Clep Guide so I can't use that sample to get an idea of where I am anymore.  I do feel like I'm fairly comfortable with their questions though.  I bought the Peterson's tests and took the first one and got a 45%.  It was terrible.  I hadn't even heard of about half of the material.  But it also seemed far more detailed than the previous two and was majorly focused on the 19-20th centuries.  Which ones would be more in line with the actual test/subject material?  Is there any other test I can take to measure how close I am to being able to take the real test?

Are there other good, comprehensive study materials out there?  Is Instantcert good for this test?
I've found Modern States tests are pretty lame. Peterson's will be closer to the actual test from my experience. I found a bunch of cheap REA CLEP books available on ebay. might go that route
I agree, definitely try out the REA book as it has 2 practice tests, I believe. Peterson's tests are really good; usually they are harder than the real test, so if you do well on those you're good to go. I sometimes use Quizlet, they have free flashcards that people have created; just search for CLEP Humanities. 

Good luck!
My advice for Humanities: Study as best you can, I did use Instantcert, and just take the CLEP. Give yourself a time limit on how many total days/weeks you're actually going to study and then go do your best.

The reason for this is that Humanities is very broad. Even though I scored well, I hated it because I am not into the arts at all, and I felt like there was so much material to learn. You could study for months and not get it all. I used Instacert cards and especially the accompanying feedback forum. Just don't waste more than a few weeks.. just use Straighterline or other options if you can't test out of it within 2 weeks.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
Out of the 19 CLEPs/DSSTs I've taken, Humanities was the worst... so I feel for you. It's a mile wide, and a mile deep, which is why you'll notice awful practice test scores when preparing for this one. There's a seemingly infinite pool of content for the test-makers to pull from.

That said, don't let those practice scores discourage you. Just make sure you go back and Google the correct answers so you get it right next time. This test is all about absorbing as much as info as possible, and then using what you know to weed out incorrect answers and narrow your pool of options.

Check with your library or school to see if they'll give you access to PrepStep practice exams through the Learning Express Hub website. Aside from the College Board practice exam, I found them most like the real thing.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Pursuing BA in Communications at SNHU (Started July 2017)
☆CLEP☆ A&I Literature 68 | College Composition w Essay 73 | American Government 68 | US History I 72 | Social Science & History 61 | Information Systems 76 | Principles of Marketing 69 | Principles of Management 67 | Psychology 61 | Sociology 61 | Humanities 57 | Educational Psychology 70 | Biology 60 | Natural Science 72 | ☆DSST☆ Environmental Science 457 | Human Cultural Geography 466 | Principles of Supervision 435 | Introduction to Business 457 | Principles of Public Speaking 450/PASS
(04-05-2018, 04:52 PM)greencouch Wrote: Out of the 19 CLEPs/DSSTs I've taken, Humanities was the worst... so I feel for you. It's a mile wide, and a mile deep, which is why you'll notice awful practice test scores when preparing for this one. There's a seemingly infinite pool of content for the test-makers to pull from.

That said, don't let those practice scores discourage you. Just make sure you go back and Google the correct answers so you get it right next time. This test is all about absorbing as much as info as possible, and then using what you know to weed out incorrect answers and narrow your pool of options.

I agree. 

I would also like to add something reassuring: if you're good at lit analysis / reading comprehension, then at least you get those questions right. For me, those make a big difference, since I don't like to memorize names, book titles, years, names of schools, places, etc.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why Majoring in the Humanities Can Be a Great Career Move allvia 1 314 10-08-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 475 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,804 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 831 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,265 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Humanities Degrees and Stem Degrees Deserve Equal Respect LevelUP 12 2,007 03-10-2022, 07:54 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,622 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Big Grin CLEP US HISTORY II Advice basol007 2 1,253 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: basol007
  Humanities Works Alpha 17 2,376 02-07-2021, 09:52 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  need to find credits by testing like Clep - but Clep is not available where I live - esh 3 1,208 01-31-2021, 07:49 PM
Last Post: rachel83az