Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Want A Bachelor's Degree Which Path Is The Fastest For Me??
I have an Associates Degree in Administration of Justice from my local community college in California. The college is called Bakersfield College and it is regionally accredited.

I had my Associates Degree evaluated by WGU and it showed that all my gen eds would be fulfilled. I ended up doing their cybersecurity program for a bit. Passed CompTIA A+, an intro to programming course, two courses having to do with databases and some other courses like intro to information security or something like that. This was a while back ago though so don't remember everything but the point I am trying to make is I did do some courses at WGU before I decided to withdraw. 

Now I am financially stable and want to earn a Bachelors Degree preferably something related to technology in order to give me more employment opportunities.

I work for FedEx Ground part time and apparently they offer tuition reimbursement but if need be I will just pay out of pocket or take out federal student loans. 

I want to get this done as fast as possible though. 

So if you were in my shoes what would you do?

So far this is my plan
- complete as many transfer courses as possible at study.com for the WGU computer science program.
- enroll at WGU for computer science and transfer in all your credits.
- If my math is right I should only have about 10 courses left to do at WGU.
- I think 10 courses in two terms is doable for me. But I may be underestimating the difficulty of the courses.

Does my math look right on the plan I outlined above? 

Also the reason I want to do the computer science program is because after passing the CompTIA A+ I realized I hate those type of exams lol so I want to avoid CompTIA if at all possible.

Additionally if you have a good argument to just ditch tech and finish any degree program I am open to that idea. With that being said I have done the research and tech really seems like it would open up more opportunities for me than getting a bachelor's in criminal justice.

Also I just logged in to WGU and it says "Continue your education and apply as a Readmit" then it shows a big button and on the button of that text it says "Reapply Now" Would re-applying be the same as re-enrolling? or is that different?

Is there a school where I can finish faster than if I went with WGU?

Thank you for any help it is greatly appreciated.
My understanding is that the final courses at WGU are extremely difficult; possibly even more difficult than the CompTIA. A lot of students aren't able to complete a WGU degree in one (or even two) 6-month term, even with maximum transfer.

Depending on what you already have, a Comp Sci degree TESU might be both easier and faster than WGU to complete.

Fill out both the template and the addendum from here for better assistance: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • origamishuttle
To add to what rachel83az mentioned; since you're already planning on the cost of two terms at WGU, the TESU BACS would likely be cheaper.

If you list all your existing courses/credit we can help know where you stand (see this thread for format on listing what you have https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid335173)

Also, you should find out more how the FedEx tuition reimbursement works. Some companies require you stay with them 'X' amount of time after and some don't. If they don't require any time after then it could be a great way to get some free money to pay for at least part of your degree without the pressure of staying with them. And almost all companies pay for CS and Business based degrees, as both apply to the company as a whole.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • origamishuttle
rachel83az Wrote:Fill out both the template and the addendum from here for better assistance: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

allvia Wrote:To add to what rachel83az mentioned; since you're already planning on the cost of two terms at WGU, the TESU BACS would likely be cheaper.

If you list all your existing courses/credit we can help know where you stand (see this thread for format on listing what you have https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid335173)

Also, you should find out more how the FedEx tuition reimbursement works.

@jrose963, Welcome to the board... As mentioned above in 'quotes', you should do the addendum and template to provide us greater details on what you bring to the table in regards to credits, find out how your tuition assistance works (amount for reimbursement, etc), and decide what degree/institution you want to finish with.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • origamishuttle
I think you need to reassess your degree plans, just because I think you can't base the degree on the A+ cert, which is one of the harder ones to do - it the longest with 2 exams, and just a lot of material is covered. My husband who has 20+ years of IT experience, and has completed MANY certs over the years, would not get his degree at WGU simply because he does not want to study for that stupid exam - the rest he thinks he could easily do, but he dreads the A+ cert.

That being said, since you already passed it, if it's still current, you don't have to retake it; so you should be open to getting whichever degree you want there, rather than only doing the CS degree. Now, if it's expired, and you'd have to retake it, you have to figure out if it's worth doing (I don't know how long it's been so can't advise you on that).

If you simply want a CS degree, then you can compare TESU to WGU, and look at which courses you have left to take at WGU, and list those, so we can tell you the best way to get them, and how difficult it might be. So you'll have a better feel of whether you can complete it in 2 terms there, or if TESU would be a better option.

Also, getting an unofficial (or official) transcript from WGU so you can list the courses you completed there will help as well (because they will transfer to TESU).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • origamishuttle
(08-17-2023, 04:44 AM)jrose963 Wrote: Now I am financially stable and want to earn a Bachelors Degree preferably something related to technology in order to give me more employment opportunities.
Additionally if you have a good argument to just ditch tech and finish any degree program I am open to that idea. With that being said I have done the research and tech really seems like it would open up more opportunities for me than getting a bachelor's in criminal justice.

I agree that a tech degree may open more doors, but it's also a lot of work to do without an end goal in mind. Have you considered what career path you'll follow? Careers in tech are mostly based on ability and experience, so getting an easier/faster business degree, at least to start, can allow you to begin building that experience sooner.

(08-17-2023, 04:44 AM)jrose963 Wrote: I work for FedEx Ground part time and apparently they offer tuition reimbursement but if need be I will just pay out of pocket or take out federal student loans. 

One thing you'll want to look into if you need more than one term is timing enrollment and reimbursement by calendar year. Often the amount of reimbursement per year is not enough to cover WGU tuition sustainably, but if you time it right with two terms, you can get one term reimbursed per year.

(08-17-2023, 04:44 AM)jrose963 Wrote: So far this is my plan
- complete as many transfer courses as possible at study.com for the WGU computer science program.
- I think 10 courses in two terms is doable for me. But I may be underestimating the difficulty of the courses.

The study.com courses will give you a better idea of how challenging the rest of the degree will be, although, as Rachel mentioned, the most challenging courses will need to be completed at WGU. You'll want to start researching those courses on reddit and the unofficial discord [https://discord.com/invite/unwgu] to get a clearer picture.

(08-17-2023, 04:44 AM)jrose963 Wrote: Also I just logged in to WGU and it says "Continue your education and apply as a Readmit" then it shows a big button and on the button of that text it says "Reapply Now" Would re-applying be the same as re-enrolling? or is that different?

No, you need to apply and be accepted again.

(08-17-2023, 04:44 AM)jrose963 Wrote: Is there a school where I can finish faster than if I went with WGU?

It depends. There are several schools where you can likely complete the degree requirements faster, but WGU is the absolute fastest with conferral. Most schools take a few months to confer your degree, whereas WGU takes about a week.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
I would delve a little further into what you want to do with your degree. Do you wish to become a software developer or an I.T. professional? Do you just intend to work for a tech company but not as an actual engineer or tech? Please fill out the whole template so we can brainstorm your options more thoroughly.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • origamishuttle
(08-17-2023, 11:02 AM)origamishuttle Wrote:
(08-17-2023, 04:44 AM)jrose963 Wrote: Now I am financially stable and want to earn a Bachelors Degree preferably something related to technology in order to give me more employment opportunities.

I agree that a tech degree may open more doors, but it's also a lot of work to do without an end goal in mind. Have you considered what career path you'll follow? Careers in tech are mostly based on ability and experience, so getting an easier/faster business degree, at least to start, can allow you to begin building that experience sooner.

(08-17-2023, 04:44 AM)jrose963 Wrote: I work for FedEx Ground part time and apparently they offer tuition reimbursement but if need be I will just pay out of pocket or take out federal student loans. 

One thing you'll want to look into if you need more than one term is timing enrollment and reimbursement by calendar year. Often the amount of reimbursement per year is not enough to cover WGU tuition sustainably, but if you time it right with two terms, you can get one term reimbursed per year.

(08-17-2023, 04:44 AM)jrose963 Wrote: So far this is my plan

The study.com courses will give you a better idea of how challenging the rest of the degree will be, although, as Rachel mentioned, the most challenging courses will need to be completed at WGU. You'll want to start researching those courses on reddit and the unofficial discord [https://discord.com/invite/unwgu] to get a clearer picture.

(08-17-2023, 04:44 AM)jrose963 Wrote: Also I just logged in to WGU and it says "Continue your education and apply as a Readmit" then it shows a big button and on the button of that text it says "Reapply Now" Would re-applying be the same as re-enrolling? or is that different?

No, you need to apply and be accepted again.

(08-17-2023, 04:44 AM)jrose963 Wrote: Is there a school where I can finish faster than if I went with WGU?

It depends. There are several schools where you can likely complete the degree requirements faster, but WGU is the absolute fastest with conferral. Most schools take a few months to confer your degree, whereas WGU takes about a week.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-17-2023, 07:26 AM)rachel83az Wrote: My understanding is that the final courses at WGU are extremely difficult; possibly even more difficult than the CompTIA. A lot of students aren't able to complete a WGU degree in one (or even two) 6-month term, even with maximum transfer.

Depending on what you already have, a Comp Sci degree TESU might be both easier and faster than WGU to complete.

Fill out both the template and the addendum from here for better assistance: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

Thank you for responding as well as everyone else in the thread. 

I am going to make a much more better post with all the information that has been asked of me. 

I do have a question though. How do I delete my post? Or can I not do that? 

I will have the updated information likely by tonight cause I am PST region. 

I plan to make a spreadsheet in Google Sheets and share the link in my new post.
I made a post on degree forum and it was not comprehensive enough for people to help me that much. I want to make a new post that has all the information that was requested. I want to delete my post that had insufficient information that way it doesn't clutter the forum so how do I do this? Thank you for any help.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  134 Credits But No Degree! Please Help Me Make Something Useful Out All These Credits CreativeLearner 5 86 1 hour ago
Last Post: allvia
  Finish Degree for CFP Marks Cfp417 7 187 04-24-2024, 10:04 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 2 166 04-23-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: mdn
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 48 4,859 04-22-2024, 01:02 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Information applying for OMSCS with indian online degree MJREM 5 223 04-21-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 37 2,616 04-21-2024, 03:12 AM
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 6 229 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 647 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 2,225 04-18-2024, 12:31 AM
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 263 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az