Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am BACK!
Graduated from Excelsior in 2009. Been playing around with the idea of going back to school for a while to obtain my Masters in Public Health. Applied to Southern New Hamsphire , my alma mater which is Excelsior, The Chicago School of Psychology, APU. Chicago School and SNHU have B&M campuses but that isn't my pull at all. It's their reputation for online learning. I know SNHU has a relatively well known online presence. I know little about the Chicago School. My sports psychologist went their and had a great experience but she didn't do the online program and I know a great B&M doesn't necessarily translate into a great online learning experience. I had a bad online experience with a B&M early in my studies towards my bachelors, so there is always that fear. Can any students of APU or SNHU and Excelsior chime in on their experience with pursuing masters degrees at these institutions?
When I am not studying - https://youtu.be/C-kk8xa0BLQ

MS in Public Health at SNHU in progress. Expected Grad Date - August 2017

Hardstyle Kettlebell Certified -2014, Ice Chamber Kettlebell Sport Certified - 2015

NCSF Personal Trainer -2010

Done! BS in LIBERAL STUDIES From Excelsior. Conferral Date - Dec 18, 2009!

Licensed Practical Nurse - 1996

Completed!
Military - 58 credits
Traditional - 12 credits
Clep - 21 credits
Excelsior Exams - Organizational Behavior(B), World Population (A), Ethics (A), Cultural Diversity (B),Psychology of A&A (A), Gerontology (B)
DSST -Drugs & Alcohol (A), Civil War (A), Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union (A), Social Psychology (A)
Penn Foster- Info Lit (passed)
Just wanted to say hi! It is nice to see so many forum members are graduating and pursuing graduate school, too!
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
I can't answer your question, but I wanted to thank you for asking it. Going on for Public/Community Health is what I am leaning toward also.
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
SNHU is a major online school. Growing at an unbelievable rate actually. It's mixed on reviews of the online and campus parts of the school. As always depends who your instructor is. It also depends on the program you are in and how it is run. Your exact program I can not comment on but I know tons of people that have gone there and it is mixed. Some love it and some run in the other direction. Also check going forward how the classes you need your offered. I know a few that had a hard time graduating because of timing.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
I just graduated from Thomas Edison in December and also have been looking into MPH programs (and Excelsior's program, which is not an MPH but is similar). I'm also curious to hear about anyone getting an MPH online. It seems like it's looked down on, since there is an internship component to getting the degree, to go to a school not in the area you live and work.

I've also been warned by a friend who has her MPH to be wary of any program that is not CEPH accredited, but that's because I am not exactly in a field yet where an MPH would be useful (I work in healthcare, but as a technical writer). She thinks if you're just looking to get ahead in a job path you're already on, it's not as important; you just need the piece of paper.

I suppose it also matters who is paying. My company does not have a great tuition reimbursement program, so if I were to go now I'd be paying my own way, and I'm not shelling out $30k or more for an MPH, especially since I would probably take a drastic pay cut getting into what I want to do in public health.
I can't speak directly on the online experience of SNHU, but I did seek to enroll there. Once I put in my application, I received countless emails and phone calls to enroll, the experience reminded me of a for-profit, which caused me not to enroll there. I then found out how much the alumni of the school have been criticizing the current direction and marketing of the school.
Grad cert., Applied Behavior Analysis, Ball State University
M.S., in Applied Psychology, Lynn Univeristy
B.S., in Psychology, Excelsior College
A.A., Florida State College at Jacksonville
Thanks for answering! Yes, none of the programs I am applying to are CEPH accredited save for Elmhurst College(they are a B&M with an online program for Public Health.) The Chicago School of Psychology also has an internship component yet it isn't CEPH accredited. Part of me is leaning towards Excelsior. It's a more a general Master of Science degree with a Public health specialization instead of a major. That could limit me in some ways, but hoping it could free me to pursue different avenues as well. And yes, I do need that piece of paper! I already have a position as a CRC waiting for me at the University I work at, if I get my Masters. But in case this doesn't quite work out, it behooves me to look at more places that are CEPH accredited.

Hardstyle Kettlebell Certified -2014, Ice Chamber Kettlebell Sport Certified - 2015

Completed!
Military - 58 credits
Traditional - 12 credits
Clep - 21 credits
Excelsior Exams - Organizational Behavior(B), World Population (A), Ethics (A), Cultural Diversity (B),Psychology of A&A (A), Gerontology (B)
DSST -Drugs & Alcohol (A), Civil War (A), Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union (A), Social Psychology (A)
Hi April, nice to see you again!
Welcome back. I don't know about the out of state cost, but take a look at the online MPH at University of West Florida Graduate | University of West Florida

Ceph accredited and there are grad certs you can earn on your way to the MPH.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Not at MPH but...I'd love to have Northwestern on my degree. I just applied today. http://sps.northwestern.edu/program-area.../index.php

I am not looking for the fastest or cheapest route to a Masters. I just want to get my Masters for the sake of learning and it doesn't hurt I have a job waiting for me at the end of it. The only thing is, I missed the cutoff for spring quarter so I have to wait until summer quarter. I don't find out if i am admitted until 4 weeks prior to the start date. I am itchy to start and I wonder if I should have patience and wait when I could start elsewhere as early as February.

Completed!
Military - 58 credits
Traditional - 12 credits
Clep - 21 credits

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Walden Tempo - MBA program is back! bjcheung77 21 4,503 04-10-2021, 09:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77