Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I decided to pull my child out of public schools - need help picking an online curric
I decided to pull my child out of public schools and I need help finding an online curriculum. I am specifically looking for an online Christian curriculum. I know there's Liberty University and Alpha Omega. I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions. I would like it to be regionally accredited!

Thanks!
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
For high school? Abeka is an option. Traditional textbook education.

https://www.abekaacademy.org/
soliloquy Wrote:I decided to pull my child out of public schools and I need help finding an online curriculum. I am specifically looking for an online Christian curriculum. I know there's Liberty University and Alpha Omega. I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions. I would like it to be regionally accredited!

Thanks!

Big step! Wow, well, first stop is HSLDA. It is my strong opinion that you should join, however if you don't, you can still find all the resources you need on their website. You'll need to find out the details of your state law (this is very important since homeschooling is legal in all 50 states AS LONG AS you comply with the law to the letter) and of course there are links to state support groups (Christian and Secular) as well as curriculum resources.

Your membership fee pays to have an entire legal team on retainer- I wouldn't homeschool one day without them. I've been a member since 1994. Since your child was in the school system, you may encounter issues when they don't return- pulling out of school is very different than never having sent your kids. If you're contacted, or if you're required to file paperwork, HSLDA will hold your hand and even send letters if the school district misbehaves Wink.

HSLDA: Homeschooling Advocates since 1983

PS regarding curriculum, regional accreditors don't accredit homeschool curriculum or homeschools. It depends on how your state classifies you, but your diploma is valid in all 50 states (assuming you're compliant with your state's laws).
cookderosa Wrote:Big step! Wow, well, first stop is HSLDA. It is my strong opinion that you should join, however if you don't, you can still find all the resources you need on their website. You'll need to find out the details of your state law (this is very important since homeschooling is legal in all 50 states AS LONG AS you comply with the law to the letter) and of course there are links to state support groups (Christian and Secular) as well as curriculum resources.

Your membership fee pays to have an entire legal team on retainer- I wouldn't homeschool one day without them. I've been a member since 1994. Since your child was in the school system, you may encounter issues when they don't return- pulling out of school is very different than never having sent your kids. If you're contacted, or if you're required to file paperwork, HSLDA will hold your hand and even send letters if the school district misbehaves Wink.

HSLDA: Homeschooling Advocates since 1983

PS regarding curriculum, regional accreditors don't accredit homeschool curriculum or homeschools. It depends on how your state classifies you, but your diploma is valid in all 50 states (assuming you're compliant with your state's laws).

Thanks!

My question was asking for online accredited curriculum sites like Liberty or Alpha and Omega. I was seeing if anyone has experience with any of these sites and could make recommendations.

One of the lawyers at my law firm sits on several home schooling association boards and writes home schooling manuals. I don't need resources about where to go to figure out laws. I need suggestions for online curriculum. There are more kids doing online or homeschooling than there are in private schools in my state as I'm sure you know.

In One State, More Children Homeschool Than Attend Private Schools.

Any suggestions you could offer regarding curriculum sites for high school would be great. He's going into 8th grade but I think I have that covered. I just want to get a head start on thinking about high school. Thanks!

It's not a Christian based curriculum but I have been in Connections Academy and thoroughly enjoyed that.
K-12 Online Public School from Home | Connections Academy
soliloquy Wrote:Thanks!

My question was asking for online accredited curriculum sites like Liberty or Alpha and Omega. I was seeing if anyone has experience with any of these sites and could make recommendations.

One of the lawyers at my law firm sits on several home schooling association boards and writes home schooling manuals. I don't need resources about where to go to figure out laws. I need suggestions for online curriculum. There are more kids doing online or homeschooling than there are in private schools in my state as I'm sure you know.

In One State, More Children Homeschool Than Attend Private Schools.

Any suggestions you could offer regarding curriculum sites for high school would be great. He's going into 8th grade but I think I have that covered. I just want to get a head start on thinking about high school. Thanks!

I apologize if you didn't think my comments were relevant. Understanding (non)issues like accreditation and huge issues like legal requirements of your state are foundational- curriculum brand is just flavor. They're all fine. Either way, I do wish you a wonderful school year.
cookderosa Wrote:I apologize if you didn't think my comments were relevant. Understanding (non)issues like accreditation and huge issues like legal requirements of your state are foundational- curriculum brand is just flavor. They're all fine. Either way, I do wish you a wonderful school year.

Your responses are very relevant. It's just that I already have counsel. There's no way you could have known that. I do appreciate your input.

Sorry, I've been homeschooling my kids for 9 years now, and have never used an online curriculum for all of our courses. We are big on video-based teaching (VideoText Algebra, Institute for Excellence in Writing) or online courses for a single course (Memoria Press' First Form Latin). I have never done a "single source" curriculum, but rather picked and chose based on the best available products I found each year. I think one of the things I was trying to get away from all these years is a one-size-fits-all mentality of public schools, so I've tried specifically NOT to choose in this way! I just can't imagine thinking that a single company will be good at teaching all of the things my kid needs. But maybe I'm just a rebel!

If a homeschool conference is coming your way this summer, I highly recommend going to one. I've gone almost every year for the last 9 years, and always come away with something new. I've been to regional ones for my state, but I've also been to the Great Homeschool Conventions one here in Southern CA. It's pretty big, but it's certainly not as big as the one they have each year in Cincinnati, where 10,000+ people show up every year. I think they have one in the south each year as well, although I don't think it's in the summer. Anyway, search out homeschool conferences in your area and go to at least one.

My 9th grade daughter is going to a charter high school this coming fall, as she wants to play sports. So my son is going to do 7th grade (mostly) through Freedom Project Education this year. All online courses, we are doing Apologia General Science, History, English & Logic. I like that they are christian, classical, and non common-core. I will continue the math that we are currently doing, since he's doing well. He will also add German (because it sounds angry is his reason for taking it!), also online, through Middlebury Interactive.

As for accreditation, I didn't even know that was an issue or option. Like I've said, I've been doing it for 9 years, and have been to at least 10 homeschool conferences, and that never even came up. I've never heard a question asked about that. But maybe because I don't really care? Not sure.

Good luck.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:Sorry, I've been homeschooling my kids for 9 years now, and have never used an online curriculum for all of our courses. We are big on video-based teaching (VideoText Algebra, Institute for Excellence in Writing) or online courses for a single course (Memoria Press' First Form Latin). I have never done a "single source" curriculum, but rather picked and chose based on the best available products I found each year. I think one of the things I was trying to get away from all these years is a one-size-fits-all mentality of public schools, so I've tried specifically NOT to choose in this way! I just can't imagine thinking that a single company will be good at teaching all of the things my kid needs. But maybe I'm just a rebel!

If a homeschool conference is coming your way this summer, I highly recommend going to one. I've gone almost every year for the last 9 years, and always come away with something new. I've been to regional ones for my state, but I've also been to the Great Homeschool Conventions one here in Southern CA. It's pretty big, but it's certainly not as big as the one they have each year in Cincinnati, where 10,000+ people show up every year. I think they have one in the south each year as well, although I don't think it's in the summer. Anyway, search out homeschool conferences in your area and go to at least one.

My 9th grade daughter is going to a charter high school this coming fall, as she wants to play sports. So my son is going to do 7th grade (mostly) through Freedom Project Education this year. All online courses, we are doing Apologia General Science, History, English & Logic. I like that they are christian, classical, and non common-core. I will continue the math that we are currently doing, since he's doing well. He will also add German (because it sounds angry is his reason for taking it!), also online, through Middlebury Interactive.

As for accreditation, I didn't even know that was an issue or option. Like I've said, I've been doing it for 9 years, and have been to at least 10 homeschool conferences, and that never even came up. I've never heard a question asked about that. But maybe because I don't really care? Not sure.

Good luck.

I don't recall saying this was my only source. I've also joined a classical literature group, my church's Homeschool Group which has a plethora of resources, and of course there is still ixl.com, study.com, easy peasy homeschool, rainbow resource, Keystone School, Ambleside online, time for learning, etcetera etcetera.

I may be new to this but I do my research and I have a lot of homeschool friends and colleagues who have been homeschooling for decades. I am simply looking for opinions about anyone who has used any of the online platforms. I'm not looking for judgment. Why did you put "single source" in quotation marks. That certainly wasn't a direct quote from me.

Tone does not convey well over the internet but I must say the introduction to that very long paragraph seems like it was full of judgmental and inaccurate assumptions.

The latter part of your message however, I appreciate.

There is a group on FB you might want to check out. It is called College Credit by Exam Homeschool. Cookderosa and I are moderators (with a few other folks). The information won't be new to you since you are already familiar with CBE, but it might be nice for you to connect with others who are working CBEs into the highschool curriculum.

Also, above I mentioned Abeka. That was not necessarily a recommendation, just another one for you to research. They meet the two criteria you mentioned - Christian and an online option. I have not personally used their online service.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Schools in America Now Becoming More Insane Than North Korea LevelUP 20 2,417 09-26-2023, 04:46 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  For Sale: Young Online University in California bjcheung77 19 2,463 09-26-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Employment Opportunities in Online Schools BSBRose21 4 522 09-26-2023, 06:19 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  The middlemen of online higher ed article cardiacclep 0 427 12-31-2022, 01:27 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  Modern Languages Launches Online Language Courses LevelUP 0 465 07-23-2022, 11:09 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Faced with a desperate skills shortage, tech leaders plead for CS reform in schools MNomadic 5 737 07-19-2022, 06:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  9yr Old Kid Has More Balls That Most Adults Speaks Out Against Mask Child Abuse LevelUP 15 1,811 09-29-2021, 03:00 PM
Last Post: mojave
  Southern China new hotspot for British schools bjcheung77 3 1,021 04-09-2021, 09:42 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Globeducate acquires three schools in Europe bjcheung77 1 816 03-30-2021, 05:51 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Almost $250 Billion Growth in Online Education bjcheung77 0 662 02-17-2021, 01:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77