Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I finally get to create this thread...!
I found a large envelope in the mail today from TESU.  I finally have my diploma in-hand, and it's time to celebrate!  A huge THANK YOU is in order to everyone on this forum; especially to everyone who has helped me in obtaining this degree.  Namely, bjcheung77, dfrecore, davewill, and jsd for really helping me plan my path by knowing course equivalencies and the workings of TESU; High_Order1 and KUJO for your help in my final courses; Life_Long_Learning for sharing and assisting me with the Emergency Management Certificate, and cookderosa, eriehiker, and swalke321 for your assistance with my questions.

I have already posted by back-story in another thread, but I will restate some of the talking points.   I didn't run off to college when I was 18.  I didn't think I could afford it, I didn't want to take on debt, and I honestly didn't think I was smart enough for college.   Still, I wanted a degree to make myself more competitive and to open up new job opportunities.  Basically, I just wanted to check the box.   Because of this, I did my fair share of research into affordable education.  On a blog and heard about Jay Cross and his method.  Upon researching him, I discovered College Out of the Box by Renee LoDolce which lead me to this forum.   Our method is fast, affordable, and flexible.  I lived in an area that went dormant for the winter, so I was able to devote a ton of time to studying during the snowy months.  That being said, I worked a bit, moved to another state, and vacationed.  I went from zero credits to a degree in 14 months.  My degree cost me exactly $6,484.  Additionally, during that time, I was able to add the Emergency Management Certificate and firefighter certification to my resume.

I suppose the best part of this journey is that I discovered that I truly enjoy learning!  To me, now it is more than just "checking the box".  I view the world differently.  I feel as if I can think more critically and abstractly, and I listen to social psychology, philosophy, and political discussions on YouTube for amusement.

Originally, I wanted a degree in the natural sciences (I still enjoy them).  I never thought that I would get a social science degree.  The reason I chose criminal justice is because I want a career in the outdoors, one that helps people (game warden, ranger, firefighter), and criminal justice was the only preferable discipline offered online.  Tying into the previous paragraph though, I'm happy with my discipline and I feel it has really helped me grow intellectually.   A degree in Criminal Justice is a hard one, though, because it is not completely test-out-able.  As I'm sure some of you know, fulfilling the required public policy course was quite an ordeal.  In fact, it was more stressful than the capstone (which I thoroughly enjoyed, looking back).

I am now graduating at 22, which is when most of my peers would end college if they started when they were 18, and I am debt free.  I feel blessed to have discovered this education method and you, this immensely helpful community.  

Thank you all,

Joseph
TESU BA in Criminal Justice, 2018
TRCC Emergency Management Certificate, 2018
[-] The following 13 users Like Joeman200's post:
  • ajs1976a, davewill, hsfamfun, Ideas, jsd, Life Long Learning, MrBossmanJr, mudball, Muldoon, mvk, pugmomx2, quigongene, rachel83az
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what I love about this place.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Joeman200
Congratulations!

Great achievement 22 & debt free.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvk's post:
  • Joeman200
Joeman2000,

Congratulations! Big Grin

Any RA BS degree for exactly $6,484 is outstanding.  

Keep in touch as we will find other great deals and college credentials in the future on this website!  I am working on three right now, but will not post until I graduate to have my facts together! Wink
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 2 users Like Life Long Learning's post:
  • hsfamfun, Joeman200
Congratulations, college grad!!

I'm very excited for you
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • Joeman200
Woot woot! Congrats, and we all take such pleasure when one of us crosses the finish line!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Joeman200, Life Long Learning, mudball
I knew you could do it!

Also, I'm humbled for the mention. I enjoyed our conversations, and wish you nothing but the best in your career hunt!
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

[-] The following 1 user Likes High_Order1's post:
  • Joeman200
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Doesn't it feel great!!???!!!
(03-17-2018, 04:05 AM)cookderosa Wrote: CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!  Doesn't it feel great!!???!!!

Yes it does!  Thank you, everyone, for your replies!

(03-16-2018, 09:41 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: Joeman2000,

Congratulations! Big Grin

Any RA BS degree for exactly $6,484 is outstanding.  

Keep in touch as we will find other great deals and college credentials in the future on this website!  I am working on three right now, but will not post until I graduate to have my facts together! Wink

Awesome, sounds good!  I've been waiting to do the recent Sophia course because I want that credit available if I pursue a second degree.  I'm more interested in a "real" job now, instead of a second degree/masters, but I'm most definitely open to the possibility.   My local CC offers a state-accredited EMT track, but it doesn't start until the fall semester.  That's something I'm really looking into though.
TESU BA in Criminal Justice, 2018
TRCC Emergency Management Certificate, 2018
Congratulations! I love that you graduated before your peers who took the "normal" path, yet graduated without debt and in your own way. Good for you!!!
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
[-] The following 2 users Like hsfamfun's post:
  • High_Order1, Joeman200

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation My very own "I'm Finished!!!" thread boalex207 13 2,525 06-27-2018, 07:55 AM
Last Post: topdog98
Question My Accountability Thread tobyisking 3 1,461 04-02-2018, 05:21 PM
Last Post: tobyisking
  Finally! Finishing TESU BA in Computer Science by May! Wittiest 5 1,391 02-24-2018, 01:27 AM
Last Post: rlw74
  Crouchie's Accountability Thread bjcheung77 2 1,077 01-13-2018, 12:28 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  finally done! CM1999 9 1,554 01-04-2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 10,351 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  My I'm Done Post... Finally!! Synicaal 10 3,029 08-23-2017, 10:41 AM
Last Post: RANSOMSOUL
  My I'm done thread!!! hed1979 9 2,446 08-09-2017, 11:20 AM
Last Post: jlearn25
  Another "need advice please" thread :) LifeWith6 4 1,506 05-25-2017, 10:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  I am finally done! BSBA CIS + GM yb1 13 2,061 05-19-2017, 12:32 PM
Last Post: bricabrac