Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I hate you ALEKS!!!
plutoon Wrote:I am so wanting to give up on this College Algebra!! I am at 64% and I am dying. Aleks is a killer! I will keep plugging along.. I am happy to see so many people finish! There is hope for Aleks and I yet!
I feel your pain! I had the same issue last month when I was going though the algebra stuff on ALEKS. It just takes perseverance... you will eventually get it.

There are also some great online tools to supplement the ALEKS college algebra materials help you get the concepts down too. The first two have videos, which made things much easier for me, since I'm an audio/video learner. The rest are just helpful online resources. You can also use Mathway (Mathway: Math Problem Solver) but I found that without the subscription it isn't all that helpful, other than to check your work. I ended up getting a trial subscription though and found that to be very helpful, though the way it solves some of the problems is a bit odd.

Keep it up and you'll be fine! Once I knock out a few more exams I'll be back on ALEKS to for statistics, and maybe pre-calc as well if I'm feeling frisky. Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Merlin Wrote:I feel your pain! I had the same issue last month when I was going though the algebra stuff on ALEKS. It just takes perseverance... you will eventually get it.

There are also some great online tools to supplement the ALEKS college algebra materials help you get the concepts down too. The first two have videos, which made things much easier for me, since I'm an audio/video learner. The rest are just helpful online resources. You can also use Mathway (Mathway: Math Problem Solver) but I found that without the subscription it isn't all that helpful, other than to check your work. I ended up getting a trial subscription though and found that to be very helpful, though the way it solves some of the problems is a bit odd.

Keep it up and you'll be fine! Once I knock out a few more exams I'll be back on ALEKS to for statistics, and maybe pre-calc as well if I'm feeling frisky. Smile
I thought Aleks College Algebra was tough. I agree the way it answers some of the questions are insane! But, this evening I passed with 70% on my 8th assessment! :-) I am so happy! Don't know if I need Statistics. I may try and see what I assess at but if it's very low I may just skip it. Thanks for all the advice. I used most of those resources just to understand the questions.
Hoping is good but doing is better!
plutoon Wrote:I thought Aleks College Algebra was tough. I agree the way it answers some of the questions are insane! But, this evening I passed with 70% on my 8th assessment! :-) I am so happy!
Congrats! Took me a while to burn through that one as well.

plutoon Wrote:Don't know if I need Statistics. I may try and see what I assess at but if it's very low I may just skip it. Thanks for all the advice. I used most of those resources just to understand the questions.
No problem. Keep that list around, if you do decide to do more with ALEKS they may come in handy. If you want to try other ALEKS courses, I'd suggest you consider moving on to Trig or Pre-Calc (which is basically just College Algebra+Trig anyway) now that you're done with College Algebra. Pre-Calc us often required as a minimum for degrees and it will probably come in handy in other areas. It should be relatively easy to pick up where you left off with College Algebra in either course.

I am looking at Stats mainly because it will be helpful with a potential future MBA application, that and I actually use some basic stats in my job and it will be nice to get a handle on the more advanced aspects. Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
I'm going to chime in with a rant on ALEKS College Algebra since this is the best place. x(x+

What the @#$! is up with ALEKS making you to factor out integers in one problem, then in another problem saying you are WRONG for doing it?

I just had a problem that came out like this:

Code:
2x^2 + 2x + 2
---------------
     x(x+2)
Which I swear should simplify to this:

Code:
2(x^2 + x + 1)
---------------
     x(x+2)
But of course its wrong...

/rantover

EDIT: Just happened again. Did several problems in one "question" ("Simplifying a ratio of polynomials: Problem type 1", as above) and it said the above factoring was wrong. Now I move on to the next one ("... Problem type 2") and it says the following numerator MUST be factored the same way I tried to do the one above:

Code:
3 - 3x^2                            
----------------
  x^2 - 4x + 3

Becomes:

Code:
3(1-x^2)
-------------
  (x-1)(x-3)

Oh WTF#!DKHN!RF!!F NLlkjpwjfe2q banghead

(other than this, so far I love it)
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Does anyone else hate waiting for the next term to start? fromthedepths 9 753 06-26-2023, 02:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Need Statsitics, but hate all the Math? The Statisistics TECEP may be your answer. Prloko 9 4,175 05-23-2023, 02:39 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Aleks Math for Liberal Arts Degree ragkrish 5 1,364 02-08-2020, 01:49 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ALEKS Course; ACE Knowledge Check Inquiry abs_co 7 2,608 11-27-2019, 11:06 AM
Last Post: dharmastudios
  ALEKS and CSMlearn Kjblue 3 1,369 10-29-2019, 02:58 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
  Anyone frustrated with ALEKS? MeOldChina 8 2,460 05-17-2019, 07:05 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  How to register for ALEKS akr680 2 1,141 04-28-2019, 10:39 AM
Last Post: akr680
  Aleks courses Supermind 14 3,556 04-01-2019, 02:05 AM