Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I know alot but have no degree
(12-16-2018, 01:57 PM)SweetSecret Wrote:
(12-16-2018, 12:41 PM)sanantone Wrote: That is if graphic design courses will count as liberal arts courses. If they do, wouldn't it make more sense to get an official concentration in humanities? There is also the learner-designed area of study at TESU and the individualized studies major at COSC.

TESU let me count all my graphic design courses into the liberal studies degree, and they wouldn't allow me to do a Learner Designed Area of Study. However, staff change so maybe the OP would have luck with it. Yes, humanities could be another potential. I think the biggest issue is that these days with all the software that checks resumes I would just want to find some way to put graphic design on the resume under education.

TESU also offers an art degree with a studio art focus. 

https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/art

And, a photography degree with a film production focus.

https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/photography
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Sapientes
(12-16-2018, 02:00 PM)sanantone Wrote: TESU also offers an art degree with a studio art focus. 

Yes, those would be possibilities too for someone with no credits. I think the reason I didn't do that was because I had credits all over the board including things like database management and emergency management that wouldn't fit into the art or photography electives. The liberal studies degree just offers a lot of flexibility on electives.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
(12-16-2018, 03:30 PM)SweetSecret Wrote:
(12-16-2018, 02:00 PM)sanantone Wrote: TESU also offers an art degree with a studio art focus. 

Yes, those would be possibilities too for someone with no credits. I think the reason I didn't do that was because I had credits all over the board including things like database management and emergency management that wouldn't fit into the art or photography electives. The liberal studies degree just offers a lot of flexibility on electives.

What did you pick for your capstone topic?
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
(12-16-2018, 03:32 PM)zzzz24 Wrote: What did you pick for your capstone topic?

Rehabilitation of people who have experienced sex trafficking & exploitation. I compared funding in religious vs secular, types of housing & location, wrap-around services, and different therapy models like EMDR.

I started off in college already having a multi-year certificate of study in graphic design. I originally wanted to make 3D educational video games. Life happened though & my interests widened through my experiences.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
(12-16-2018, 04:16 PM)SweetSecret Wrote:
(12-16-2018, 03:32 PM)zzzz24 Wrote: What did you pick for your capstone topic?

Rehabilitation of people who have experienced sex trafficking & exploitation. I compared funding in religious vs secular, types of housing & location, wrap-around services, and different therapy models like EMDR.

I started off in college already having a multi-year certificate of study in graphic design. I originally wanted to make 3D educational video games. Life happened though & my interests widened through my experiences.

Oh ok thanks. I thought maybe it was something related to graphics design or media. 
I plan to take the course in the new year and having a lot of difficulty deciding what to do it on.
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
Thanks all for your replies

I have another question. If a bachelors requires e.g A,B,C,D,X,Y,Z courses and another requires A,B,C,D,P,Q,R courses, will I have to do A,B,C,D again to get the second degree? Would I have to give the CLEP tests again?
(12-16-2018, 01:57 PM)SweetSecret Wrote: TESU let me count all my graphic design courses into the liberal studies degree, and they wouldn't allow me to do a Learner Designed Area of Study. However, staff change so maybe the OP would have luck with it. Yes, humanities could be another potential. I think the biggest issue is that these days with all the software that checks resumes I would just want to find some way to put graphic design on the resume under education.

I'm not sure, but I think they got rid of the LDAS. I wanted to do one, but they seemed to think my plans were poor.

(12-17-2018, 03:02 AM)Afreelancer Wrote: Thanks all for your replies

I have another question. If a bachelors requires e.g A,B,C,D,X,Y,Z courses and another requires A,B,C,D,P,Q,R courses, will I have to do A,B,C,D again to get the second degree? Would I have to give the CLEP tests again?

No once is fine.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
(12-17-2018, 03:02 AM)Afreelancer Wrote: Thanks all for your replies

You generally don't have to re-take a course in a second degree, but there may be other restrictions in pursuing a second degree. Particularly with a second degree that is close enough to the first degree to have overlap in the AOS, or significant overlap outside of General Education courses. In fact, many schools will outright refuse to allow you to take a closely aligned second bachelors degree. Even without any other restrictions, some schools (like TESU for example) will also require a certain amount of new credits in the second degree that were earned after the first degree was conferred.

If you're interested in multiple degrees, its generally recommended to get the second degree in a different area than the first anyway, otherwise you're diluting the value you gain from the second degree. A completely different area shows breadth. If you want to show a depth of focus, I suggest either switching to a more focused degree to begin with, or consider a certificate (or a masters after completing the first degree).
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
You could perhaps do the TESU BALS, get a graphic design certificate, then go to WGU for the masters.

That would be a fairly quick route with maximum testing allowed.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,455 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 482 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 771 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,179 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,701 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74
  Hypnotherapy + $30 course or $12,000 degree = Licensed "Medical" Profession nykorn 6 952 01-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: CenterSquarEd
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 617 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  These Rural Texans Opted Out of a Degree. This Community College Wants Them Back LevelUP 1 376 12-22-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Avidreader