Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I just apply to both TESC and Excelsior?
Hi all Smile

I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do, so why not ask the experts right?? hilarious

I have some random credit/learning experiences that I'm hoping might atleast get me SOME credits, but since I can't tell for sure, should I just apply to both TESC and Excelsior and see which school awards more credit?

I am a certified EMT, completed the EMT course in 2001. I got my certification.
After that I completed the EMT-Paramedic course in 2003. Never got certified as a Paramedic.

I have 51 credits at a Court Reporting school here in Pittsburgh. Some are GenEd, like English 1 and 2, Literature, Legal Term, Intro to Computers, and then the rest are Court Reporting class hours. It's called the Academy of Court Reporting, I know it's accredited but not sure if the type of accreditation is accepted.

Hehe and I also have 20 FEMA credits. If I do go with TESC I won't have transfer them from raw form to get the credit for them (right?) but if I go with Excelsior I would have to have them transcribed by FCC first for $1200. The money isn't a huge deal, I just want to go with the school that will award me more credit.

Who do you think would give me more credit? Do I basically have to apply to both places in order to find out for sure? Nothing would make me happier than actually receiving credit for my 2 years in Court Reporting school. I never did become a court reporter, I couldn't stand it!!!

Oh, and what about Charter Oak? Never even thought of that......

thanks all!!!!
kk
I applied to both and found a big difference in the number of credits awarded. I recommend applying to both and seeing how they award credit.

Smile
killerkitty Wrote:Hi all Smile

I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do, so why not ask the experts right?? hilarious

I have some random credit/learning experiences that I'm hoping might atleast get me SOME credits, but since I can't tell for sure, should I just apply to both TESC and Excelsior and see which school awards more credit?

I am a certified EMT, completed the EMT course in 2001. I got my certification.
After that I completed the EMT-Paramedic course in 2003. Never got certified as a Paramedic.

I have 51 credits at a Court Reporting school here in Pittsburgh. Some are GenEd, like English 1 and 2, Literature, Legal Term, Intro to Computers, and then the rest are Court Reporting class hours. It's called the Academy of Court Reporting, I know it's accredited but not sure if the type of accreditation is accepted.

Hehe and I also have 20 FEMA credits. If I do go with TESC I won't have transfer them from raw form to get the credit for them (right?) but if I go with Excelsior I would have to have them transcribed by FCC first for $1200. The money isn't a huge deal, I just want to go with the school that will award me more credit.

Who do you think would give me more credit? Do I basically have to apply to both places in order to find out for sure? Nothing would make me happier than actually receiving credit for my 2 years in Court Reporting school. I never did become a court reporter, I couldn't stand it!!!

Oh, and what about Charter Oak? Never even thought of that......

thanks all!!!!
kk
ImustStudy
----------------------------------------
A.S. Liberal Arts- Excelsior College 2007
B.S. Criminal Justice- Excelsior College 2008
M.B.A.- California Coast University 2012
EdS- Liberty University 2014
EdD- Liberty University 2016

Miscellaneous graduate coursework from University of The Rockies and California InterContinental University (that did me absolutely NO GOOD whatsoever)
Excellent thanks!
ImustStudy Wrote:I applied to both and found a big difference in the number of credits awarded. I recommend applying to both and seeing how they award credit.

Smile
>>

I second that. I applied to both, it really helped me decide. One last thing, sometimes, the amount they give you shouldn't be your only deciding factor- but rather HOW you'll get your remaining credits is a factor too. For example, at TESC, I could use anything 200 level or higher for my "major" but not EC-- those needed to be 300/400 level. At TESC, there are many CLEPs and DSSTs that count at 200 level, so this was really great for me since I wanted to use CLEPs as much as possible (to save $). I also used CLEP English Comp. Also, will the school have classes in the major you seek? Don't assume that they do- for example- if you wanted to enroll in Hotel Restaurant Management at TESC, you would have to take these classes elsewhere- even though they offer the major. There is a lot to consider- but either one will do the job- good luck in finding the perfect fit!
Shoot, never thought about seing if Excelsior would give me credit for my NREMT training. Good idea.
Pursuing B.S. in Liberal Studies through Excelsior
A.A.S. in Allied Health, Community College of the Air Force
A.A.S. in Criminal Justice, Community College of the Air Force

Abnormal Psychology (B)
ECE Gerontology (B)
Drug & Alcohol Abuse (57 - A)
Here's to Your Health (58 - A)
Intro Sociology (71)

Awaiting scores:
ECE Ethics
[/SIZE]
jason Wrote:Shoot, never thought about seing if Excelsior would give me credit for my NREMT training. Good idea.

If you can get a transcript for it, I recommend submitting it to Excelsior and seeing what they say. They will likely want the transcript from an accredited college of some sort. I checked to see if NREMT is ACE approved, but could not find any approval. American Council on Education is the standard by which most colleges decide whether they will accept a course and if so how much credit they will award for it.

Check with an advisor at EC and see what they have to say. Its worth a shot.

Big Grin
ImustStudy
----------------------------------------
A.S. Liberal Arts- Excelsior College 2007
B.S. Criminal Justice- Excelsior College 2008
M.B.A.- California Coast University 2012
EdS- Liberty University 2014
EdD- Liberty University 2016

Miscellaneous graduate coursework from University of The Rockies and California InterContinental University (that did me absolutely NO GOOD whatsoever)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU - apply as non-matriculating student, or TECEP only? Kelly Green 0 1,175 08-13-2018, 05:11 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,801 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,135 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,858 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,265 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 944 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,589 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Excelsior annual fees homeschoolmom1 1 1,241 07-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Photo Shmoop Excelsior Evaluations In ReyMysterioso 0 1,749 06-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,202 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning