Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Important information! READ BEFORE APPLYING
It is absolutely possible to complete more than 1 major through the YourPace program.  I completed a major in accounting and a major in business administration (management and leadership concentration).  A minor is also a possibility. I was enrolled for a while in the educational studies minor, but didn’t want to take the extra time to complete it, so I had that removed from my degree plan. You need to talk to Jessica and apply a little common sense—I probably could not have added an accounting minor since I had an accounting major or a management minor since I was doing the BABA. But there are also combinations that are possible which are not listed on the website.

One thing to be aware of: on a couple of occasions when I was talking to Jessica about classes/majors/concentrations/minors she asked whether I was receive student aid, such as a Pell grant. From what she said, it seems like there are more restrictions on aid recipients than there are on people who are self-funding. Pushback regarding adding extras to different people’s course of study may reflect both changes in UMPI YourPace policy as well as the individual student’s situation.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
[-] The following 3 users Like freeloader's post:
  • Holmes, Pikachu, ss20ts
Question regarding not expecting to graduate within 1 or 2 terms. Does this apply even if you bring in the max amount of credits? I am considering UMPI in order to save money versus WGU so wondering which one is best for me.
Currently:
UCA (University of Central Arkansas) Ph.D. Change Leadership for Equity and Inclusion 

Completed:
WGU MSML
TAMUC BAAS Org Leadership
PMP, CSM, CSPO, Google Project Management Certificate
Sophia 19 Classes | Study.com 12 Classes
(02-27-2022, 07:51 PM)mohelena02 Wrote: Question regarding not expecting to graduate within 1 or 2 terms. Does this apply even if you bring in the max amount of credits? I am considering UMPI in order to save money versus WGU so wondering which one is best for me.

What do you mean "regarding not expecting to graduate within 1 or 2 term"? The max you can transfer in is 90 credits. You have to complete a minimum of 30 credits at UMPI. Most people complete more than 30 credits at UMPI due to the various degree requirements and the GEC requirements. Many of us completed our degrees in 2 terms. 1 term is really difficult because every class isn't offered every session and some classes have prereq courses.
(02-27-2022, 07:51 PM)mohelena02 Wrote: Question regarding not expecting to graduate within 1 or 2 terms. Does this apply even if you bring in the max amount of credits? I am considering UMPI in order to save money versus WGU so wondering which one is best for me.

One session at UMPI is only 2 months to WGU's 6 months. Most people here seem to be able to graduate in two sessions. Some need three. It depends on how fast you can work, what's available during a particular session, what degree you want, and what courses you've transferred in.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(02-27-2022, 07:55 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

What do you mean "regarding not expecting to graduate within 1 or 2 term"? The max you can transfer in is 90 credits. You have to complete a minimum of 30 credits at UMPI. Most people complete more than 30 credits at UMPI due to the various degree requirements and the GEC requirements. Many of us completed our degrees in 2 terms. 1 term is really difficult because every class isn't offered every session and some classes have prereq courses.

I was referring to what I read in the first post on this thread which mentioned not expecting to graduate within 1 term. My question is if 2 terms is reasonable or if someone should expect 3-4. In my case anything more than 2 terms would not be worth it for me and I should stick with WGU cost wise. Thanks!
Currently:
UCA (University of Central Arkansas) Ph.D. Change Leadership for Equity and Inclusion 

Completed:
WGU MSML
(02-27-2022, 08:03 PM)mohelena02 Wrote: I was referring to what I read in the first post on this thread which mentioned not expecting to graduate within 1 term. My question is if 2 terms is reasonable or if someone should expect 3-4. In my case anything more than 2 terms would not be worth it for me and I should stick with WGU cost wise. Thanks!

The answer is it depends. It depends on how many classes you have left to complete. It depends on class availability. It depends on how much time you have to put into the classes. Most finish their degree in 2 terms. I would have been done in 2 terms but I added 2 extra minors so it took 3 terms. WGU and UMPI don't have the same degrees either. WGU has proctored exams that have a lot issues for many people. UMPI doesn't have proctored exams. There are few exams and it's mostly papers and a few projects.

(10-23-2021, 03:35 AM)rachel83az Wrote: UMPI is not like any of the Big 3 when it comes to credit transfers. Before you apply, there are some things that you need to keep in mind:

1. You are permitted to bring in up to 90 credits.
  2. Any or all of those credits can be ACE.
  3. Most students will likely transfer in 72-84 credits.
  4. Take English Composition classes at UMPI. They're faster and easier than any known alternate source.
  5. You will need a science with a lab. Currently, the easiest way to do that is with Study.com's Biology 101L course. 
  6. You will need at least 3 credits of a foreign language. InstantCert's Spanish is currently the fastest way to get foreign language credit. If you are going for a History degree, you will need 6 credits in foreign language. If this is the case, study Spanish with Study.com. For any degrees, if you already know a foreign language that is not Spanish, choose either a CLEP exam or an ACTFL exam for credits. 
  7. Do not expect to finish your degree in one session (2 months). Not all classes are offered every session. Expect 2-4 sessions to finish your degree.
  8. Once you apply and are accepted, you are automatically enrolled and you MUST obtain permission from your advisor to transfer in additional classes. This is usually not a problem, but it is still a good idea to wait to apply until you have completed all of the courses that you plan to transfer to UMPI.
  9. UMPI's Enrollment Counselors are PAID TO GET PEOPLE TO APPLY! They don't work for UMPI. They are contractors. Do NOT apply until you are ready. The enrollment counselors can be pushy and may say a lot of things to try to get you to apply immediately. Don't listen! If you have questions, start a new thread here. The current students and alumni here will be able to answer most questions you might have about the process at UMPI.

Chemistry 111L Chemistry 1 with Lab is also an option for the lab science requirement. I know bio is the most common, but if someone prefers chem this is available.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • mohelena02
(02-27-2022, 08:09 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(02-27-2022, 08:03 PM)mohelena02 Wrote: I was referring to what I read in the first post on this thread which mentioned not expecting to graduate within 1 term. My question is if 2 terms is reasonable or if someone should expect 3-4. In my case anything more than 2 terms would not be worth it for me and I should stick with WGU cost wise. Thanks!

The answer is it depends. It depends on how many classes you have left to complete. It depends on class availability. It depends on how much time you have to put into the classes. Most finish their degree in 2 terms. I would have been done in 2 terms but I added 2 extra minors so it took 3 terms. WGU and UMPI don't have the same degrees either. WGU has proctored exams that have a lot issues for many people. UMPI doesn't have proctored exams. There are few exams and it's mostly papers and a few projects.

Thank you for the details! I have completed 26 classes so far through Sophia and Study. I prefer non-proctored exams as I have taken a ton of proctored exams on Study and they are a pain. Thank you for the comparison. I am debating between a BA at WGU or a BA in project management at UMPI.

(10-23-2021, 03:35 AM)rachel83az Wrote: UMPI is not like any of the Big 3 when it comes to credit transfers. Before you apply, there are some things that you need to keep in mind:

3. Most students will likely transfer in 72-84 credits.
  4. Take English Composition classes at UMPI. They're faster and easier than any known alternate source.
  5. You will need a science with a lab. Currently, the easiest way to do that is with Study.com's Biology 101L course. 
  6. You will need at least 3 credits of a foreign language. InstantCert's Spanish is currently the fastest way to get foreign language credit. If you are going for a History degree, you will need 6 credits in foreign language. If this is the case, study Spanish with Study.com. For any degrees, if you already know a foreign language that is not Spanish, choose either a CLEP exam or an ACTFL exam for credits. 
  7. Do not expect to finish your degree in one session (2 months). Not all classes are offered every session. Expect 2-4 sessions to finish your degree.
  8. Once you apply and are accepted, you are automatically enrolled and you MUST obtain permission from your advisor to transfer in additional classes. This is usually not a problem, but it is still a good idea to wait to apply until you have completed all of the courses that you plan to transfer to UMPI.
  9. UMPI's Enrollment Counselors are PAID TO GET PEOPLE TO APPLY! They don't work for UMPI. They are contractors. Do NOT apply until you are ready. The enrollment counselors can be pushy and may say a lot of things to try to get you to apply immediately. Don't listen! If you have questions, start a new thread here. The current students and alumni here will be able to answer most questions you might have about the process at UMPI.

Chemistry 111L Chemistry 1 with Lab is also an option for the lab science requirement. I know bio is the most common, but if someone prefers chem this is available.
Currently:

Completed:
WGU MSML
Thanks for all the information. I've been lurking on here for awhile and followed all the advice when I applied. My wife and I start in May.
DBA Organization Leadership - South - Expected April 2024
BA Political Science and History - UMPI - 2022
MS Cybersecurity & Information Assurance - WGU - 2021
BS Computer Science - Park U - 2018
MBA Public Administration - CSU - 2016
BS Management - Park U - 2010
AAS Communications Technology - CCAF - 2008

CEH/CHFI/SEC+/NET+/Proj+/CISSP
[-] The following 1 user Likes kidneysmasher's post:
  • Blkqueen8

Is their published PLA 30 credit limit [link] out of date then, or does a different limit apply to YourPace, or is the point above out of date now?

catalog.umpi.edu Wrote:[Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)] include, but are not limited to, the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP), Advanced Placement (AP), Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES), as well as any training, courses, and exams for which the American Council on Education (ACE) has recommended the granting of college credit.

.... Students in Associate degree programs may earn a maximum of 15 credits through PLA. Students in Bachelor’s degree programs may earn a maximum of 30 credits. In other words, the combination of all forms of PLA cannot exceed a total of 15 credits of an Associate’s degree and 30 credits of a Bachelor’s degree.
(03-17-2022, 12:18 AM)chevy Wrote:

Is their published PLA 30 credit limit [link] out of date then, or does a different limit apply to YourPace, or is the point above out of date now?

catalog.umpi.edu Wrote:[Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)] include, but are not limited to, the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP), Advanced Placement (AP), Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES), as well as any training, courses, and exams for which the American Council on Education (ACE) has recommended the granting of college credit.

.... Students in Associate degree programs may earn a maximum of 15 credits through PLA. Students in Bachelor’s degree programs may earn a maximum of 30 credits. In other words, the combination of all forms of PLA cannot exceed a total of 15 credits of an Associate’s degree and 30 credits of a Bachelor’s degree.

The rules are different for YourPace, yes. Students are continuing to transfer in 80-90 ACE credits, most of which usually come from Sophia.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BLS with a minor in Information Systems or BBA PM & IS ZO10 23 1,030 03-28-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  Can I transfer credits after applying? annanotherone 8 543 02-22-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BSBA Project Management & Information Systems GoBroncos95 5 596 01-26-2024, 12:58 PM
  UMPI Collecting credits before applying? adrianeraldo 28 3,121 09-29-2023, 10:06 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  UMPI BLS Information Systems mohelena02 5 1,485 11-30-2022, 12:38 PM
Last Post: mohelena02
  Quick question about applying acethroughcollege 10 1,222 11-15-2022, 03:19 PM
Last Post: KSoul
  Transfer Credit Evaluation w/o Applying to UMPI? b819 7 1,380 11-14-2022, 11:47 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  UPMI - Bachelor of Liberal Studies - Management Information Systems Minor (Plan?) allvia 4 2,174 05-21-2022, 11:36 PM
  BLS ( information technology minor) General education? Sara143 29 2,541 03-23-2022, 08:21 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Applying for Graduation CCCC 4 956 02-28-2022, 09:39 PM
Last Post: CCCC