Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Initial Saylor exam test experiment
I decided on GEOG101: World Regional Geography because I have some familiarity and wanted to only take tests and review questions for my initial introduction to Saylor.

I have just recently begun preparing for Saylor tests. Here is what I have been doing to see if I can take the test for credit.

1. I took the initial 50 credits test Received a 88% on 10/24 1hr
2. I then was able to take 3 other tests that were laid out by chapters. 10/25 about 1.5 hrs
   Test one: 70%
   Test two: 95%
   Test three 75%
3. Now take the $5 test and see what I get. Considering 10/26

What do all of you think of those scores, and being ready to pass for a 70% or higher?
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
A lot of people report the final is harder than the practice exam.

I would study the concepts of stuff you missed on the practice exam. If there is a study guide for the course, use that to study for the final.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
For $5, I wouldn't spend 5 seconds studying - I'd just take the exam and see how you do. Best case, you pass and are done. Worst case, you're out $5, and you have to wait a couple of weeks to retake. You'll also know what the test is like, and whether you need to study.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • origamishuttle, StoicJ
By taking the average of the 4 scores, you have 70, 75, 88, 95, it'll be 82. Yup, I would say you're pretty much ready for it, take the $5 exam and see how you fair. The practice exam may be harder, but it'll be a few % off, review what you have trouble with and take it right after, so you'll have everything fresh in the back of your mind... Edit to add: Oh, and it's just $5, I wouldn't rush it, take your time during the test and good luck!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-25-2022, 06:33 PM)LevelUP Wrote: A lot of people report the final is harder than the practice exam.

I would study the concepts of stuff you missed on the practice exam. If there is a study guide for the course, use that to study for the final.

I can confirm.
In progress:  TESU BACS [110/122]
  Completed: ASU Certificate in Applied Business Data Analytics
    Credits: ASU [72] | ALEKS [6] | CSMLearn [3] | InstantCert [3] | Sophia [57] | The Institutes [3] | SDC [30]
(10-25-2022, 09:19 PM)dfrecore Wrote: For $5, I wouldn't spend 5 seconds studying - I'd just take the exam and see how you do.  Best case, you pass and are done.  Worst case, you're out $5, and you have to wait a couple of weeks to retake.  You'll also know what the test is like, and whether you need to study.

I'm planning on taking this test ASAP, and then moving onto two others. One test will be done at Saylor and the other at TESU as a TCEP.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
Okay so here is what I found out about taking a test very quickly today. $5 allows you to know what's on the test. You might pass it or in my case, I failed by 2%. What I found out on this particular test was that none of the three practice tests had relevance to the test for credit. The reason people say the test for credit is harder is that the material being tested on may be very different.

1. The automated proctor took about 30 minutes to get working but seemed to work very well once running.
2. Paying $5 to better understand what is even on the test is major in my opinion, and you might even pass.
3. I think taking the pre-tests helps a little but not enough to pass. Information you already know and studying areas within the test after you take the for-credit test will give you the best chance.
4. This also solves issues with me being overseas often. I can get these using the automated proctor.
5. You get your score right away.

In short taking, the main for credit test is the only way to know what is on it. The guides are broad, and you will not remember all information. So Take the test for $5 and then study. The most you will spend is $15 and that is much cheaper than most other sites or tests. I also think this is a  much faster way to gather some credits in areas you might already know much about such as CS or business.
[-] The following 2 users Like vetvso's post:
  • LevelUP, origamishuttle
(10-26-2022, 04:55 PM)vetvso Wrote: Okay so here is what I found out about taking a test very quickly today. $5 allows you to know what's on the test. You might pass it or in my case, I failed by 2%. What I found out on this particular test was that none of the three practice tests had relevance to the test for credit. The reason people say the test for credit is harder is that the material being tested on may be very different.

1. The automated proctor took about 30 minutes to get working but seemed to work very well once running.
2. Paying $5 to better understand what is even on the test is major in my opinion, and you might even pass.
3. I think taking the pre-tests helps a little but not enough to pass. Information you already know and studying areas within the test after you take the for-credit test will give you the best chance.
4. This also solves issues with me being overseas often. I can get these using the automated proctor.

In short taking, the main for credit test is the only way to know what is on it. The guides are broad, and you will not remember all information. So Take the test for $5 and then study. The most you will spend is $15 and that is much cheaper than most other sites or tests. I also think this is a  much faster way to gather some credits in areas you might already know much about such as CS or business.

This is why the running joke is to buy an extra computer monitor before taking the Saylor final exam.  Because after you fail the test, you will be chucking the computer monitor out the window! Lol.

Did you carefully review the study guide like I suggested? And did the final closely reflect the study guide?
https://learn.saylor.org/mod/book/view.php?id=35085

Saylor started adding those study guides after many people failed the final to help. Those guides were not there originally just a few years ago.

I'm going to attempt to pass the Intro to Political Science Saylor exam. I scored 70's on the practice exam, so we'll see if a couple of hours of studying is enough to pass the final. 

CLEPs are far easier since you can pass by knowing around 50% of the information. However, international students can't do CLEPs. 

I studied for 10 hours to pass the CLEP Sociology, knowing zero information about Sociology at the start of the course. A lot of those CLEPs you can pass with around 20 hours of studying, which is 5x faster than doing a butt-in-seat college course.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • origamishuttle
(10-26-2022, 05:15 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(10-26-2022, 04:55 PM)vetvso Wrote: Okay so here is what I found out about taking a test very quickly today. $5 allows you to know what's on the test. You might pass it or in my case, I failed by 2%. What I found out on this particular test was that none of the three practice tests had relevance to the test for credit. The reason people say the test for credit is harder is that the material being tested on may be very different.

This is why the running joke is to buy an extra computer monitor before taking the Saylor final exam.  Because after you fail the test, you will be chucking the computer monitor out the window! Lol.

Did you carefully review the study guide like I suggested? And did the final closely reflect the study guide?
https://learn.saylor.org/mod/book/view.php?id=35085

Saylor started adding those study guides after many people failed the final to help. Those guides were not there originally just a few years ago.

I'm going to attempt to pass the Intro to Political Science Saylor exam. I scored 70's on the practice exam, so we'll see if a couple of hours of studying is enough to pass the final. 

CLEPs are far easier since you can pass by knowing around 50% of the information. However, international students can't do CLEPs. 

I studied for 10 hours to pass the CLEP Sociology, knowing zero information about Sociology at the start of the course. A lot of those CLEPs you can pass with around 20 hours of studying, which is 5x faster than doing a butt-in-seat college course.
So the study guide was very broad, and the final credit test was very different from the pre-tests. I now know what to focus on within the study guide, and expect to pass it the next time.

I do prefer DSST and CLEP myself as well but they don't have what I need or are not as accessible yet. CLEP is moving to online testing but I didn't see it available yet. I honestly don't need CLEP but would take a few more just to certify learned knowledge.

DSST has a few history courses I slowly knock out once I get close enough to a test center.

I do think Saylor is a good avenue because of the tests that fill in a few areas for a very low cost. Sophia and Study are much more expensive. However one can knock out credits quickly there sometimes. So all in all this was a good test and I will fine-tune how I prepare for future tests.
[-] The following 1 user Likes vetvso's post:
  • LevelUP
I took the practice exam for project management with zero studying, and got a score in the 60's. It seemed pretty easy in that many of the concepts were similar to previous classes I took.

So being this was the only project management course PUG would accept, I recommended the course on the WIKI.

A student took the project management course and failed 3 times. This is the same student that graduated with a perfect 4.0 GPA at PUG, finishing in only 2 terms.

That being said, there is one student from South America that loves Saylor and passed many exams. 

In the alt credit world, Saylor has the highest DFW rate.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Saylor business classes jb111 4 306 03-14-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Chimera
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 264 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 274 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Send Saylor credit to credly vetvso 4 1,519 09-09-2023, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Saylor BIO101 Notes Request axelblaze77 5 532 08-24-2023, 12:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Did my first ever final exam on Study.com. Realized Google Chrome was still minimized Tyranova 2 768 08-13-2023, 07:32 PM
Last Post: Tyranova
  Degrees available with Saylor Academy and OnlineDegree cvalor 21 3,263 07-03-2023, 02:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Saylor Vent Lima845 4 842 06-21-2023, 10:56 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Saylor Academy is very slow Leo Wu 2 1,150 06-11-2023, 08:10 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  study.com Final Exam Review Leo Wu 4 700 05-30-2023, 04:43 PM
Last Post: origamishuttle