Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Instant Cert Question
Good evening all,
Apart from math courses, for those people that have used InstantCert to prep for CLEPS/DSST exams, would you say the InstantCert cards are sufficient on their own to pass? Or will you have to supplement the InstantCert with other resources (Assuming you have little to no prior knowledge going into the exam)?

Thanks in advance
InstantCert is not sufficient by itself, especially if you're learning the subject from scratch. I always used a textbook in addition.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(01-30-2019, 08:35 PM)acamp Wrote: Good evening all,
Apart from math courses, for those people that have used InstantCert to prep for CLEPS/DSST exams, would you say the InstantCert cards are sufficient on their own to pass?  Or will you have to supplement the InstantCert with other resources (Assuming you have little to no prior knowledge going into the exam)?

Thanks in advance

Right now, I use this combination-
First I use Modern States (for CLEP) - I read the lecture transcript and do the homework questions
Then I use Study.com's CLEP prep - I have a parent/teacher account that is around $50 a month. I don't read the lecture then take the quiz, I take the quiz first and then if it's all unfamiliar I read the lecture. They have a lot of quizzes, for instance, the CLEP prep for business law has 178 quizzes with 5 questions per quiz. Taking the quiz first and skipping the lecture if it was common sense lets me skip about half the lectures. 
Then I do the InstantCert cards until I have gotten them all correct once

The only course I needed more than that for was macroeconomics which I also used ACDC review and Khan Academy for a few specific concepts that I was having trouble getting.
Enrolled in WGU MAcc - Start Date 12/01/2019
B&M State College (90 credits 3.57 GPA)
Modern States CLEP  (27 credits) Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (64)  Introduction to Sociology (65) Information Systems (71) Principles of Management (68) Principles of Marketing (73) Principles of Macroeconomics (70) Principles of Microeconomics (53), Introduction to Business Law (60)
Sophia(2 credits)
Straighterline (9)American Government, Western Civilizations I, Introduction to Religion
WGU (71): Organizational Behavior, Spreadsheets, Global Business, Principles of Accounting, Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Principles of Finance, Business Strategy.. graduated Oct/2019
WGU MAcc (30) Graduated Apr 2020
121 credits earned Dec 23, 2018-Feb 24, 2020 Smile 
I've taken 12 CLEP/DSST exams and would say that InstantCert alone is enough to pass in most cases. BUT, you better know the flashcards well and don't expect a high score.
TESU BSBA Accounting 2019 (In progress)
[-] The following 1 user Likes AMRH94's post:
  • alexf.1990
Using the recommended textbook is probably the best, in combination with the IC flashcards. Failing that, the REA guide is a decent replacement for the textbook.

If I were taking a CLEP today, I'd use IC + REA + Modern States together to study, and then use the REA and Peterson's practice exams to determine when I'd be ready to sit for the exam.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(01-30-2019, 08:35 PM)acamp Wrote: Good evening all,
Apart from math courses, for those people that have used InstantCert to prep for CLEPS/DSST exams, would you say the InstantCert cards are sufficient on their own to pass? Or will you have to supplement the InstantCert with other resources (Assuming you have little to no prior knowledge going into the exam)?

Thanks in advance

There is a wonderful huge thread you might want to check out - it's people scoring over 60 using only IC.
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ht=only+IC
Thank u everyone for all the posts!
It varies based on subject. There are some subjects like American Literature or British Literature that are simply too vast to only use the flashcards for. Chemistry is another one that comes to mind. For most others, you could pass using only the flashcards.
There aren't IC flashcards for chemistry, but I wish there had been. I failed the test after reading an entire book. I passed biology, though, with only the flashcards. I only used IC for many of the CLEPs and DSSTs I took, but that doesn't mean that everyone else can do that. Some people are just good test takers, and some people already have a lot of exposure to certain subjects. I took a few psychology exams after I took a few college courses in psychology. Biology comes easy to me because I took pre-AP biology in high school, health science electives in high school, and I watched a lot of biology programs on the Discovery channel growing up.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I felt like I needed to add some qualification-

I'm clearly over studying for my CLEP tests. You can see my scores in my signature. There was no point in scoring that high, a 50 is a pass for most schools and it's not like you get a letter grade for these things most of the time.

I have been studying until I get over a 70 on a Peterson practice test. It seems like for most of these tests, the Peterson is harder than the actual test. I'm taking two more tests tomorrow, microeconomics and business law. These ones I have studied a lot less for. I just studied until I was getting over a 60 on Peterson tests. I'm trying to start my GMAT review, just didn't have time to do it all. I have done some study.com, but, most of my review has been instantcert for these ones. If I get to test tomorrow, I'll post my scores from mostly just instantcert.
Enrolled in WGU MAcc - Start Date 12/01/2019
B&M State College (90 credits 3.57 GPA)
Modern States CLEP  (27 credits) Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (64)  Introduction to Sociology (65) Information Systems (71) Principles of Management (68) Principles of Marketing (73) Principles of Macroeconomics (70) Principles of Microeconomics (53), Introduction to Business Law (60)
Sophia(2 credits)
Straighterline (9)American Government, Western Civilizations I, Introduction to Religion
WGU (71): Organizational Behavior, Spreadsheets, Global Business, Principles of Accounting, Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Principles of Finance, Business Strategy.. graduated Oct/2019
WGU MAcc (30) Graduated Apr 2020
121 credits earned Dec 23, 2018-Feb 24, 2020 Smile 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RBA degree question Jennr2z 19 3,144 12-14-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Question about BYU Independent Study Amberlinjeanne 4 1,317 09-05-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  EdX MicroBachelors letter grade question cardiacclep 3 609 12-28-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Transferology question - how to find ACE and NCCRS? katsiki 4 539 10-09-2022, 01:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Question about Transferring Credits Nelson Lin 3 725 09-17-2022, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 2 1,194 08-24-2022, 03:41 PM
Last Post: sparkling
  Grad Cert Health Informatics Alpha 0 441 08-01-2022, 04:32 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  ACTFL signup question(s) Insert Name 9 945 06-29-2022, 09:39 PM
Last Post: Insert Name
  ACTFL question Jennr2z 5 813 06-04-2022, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Jennr2z
  XAMK question k-k-k-katy 62 7,381 04-23-2022, 02:32 AM
Last Post: MrPanda