Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is a psychology or history degree useless?
I read that and it makes me reconsider if I should do my degree in something else. What do you guys think?
(07-29-2019, 03:22 PM)missbootyfull Wrote: I read that and it makes me reconsider if I should do my degree in something else. What do you guys think?

You have to finish the sentence.
Is psychology a useless degree when I want to become a plumber? (yes)
Is psychology a useless degree when I want to go to graduate school to earn a doctorate and become a psychologist? (no)
Is history a useless degree for getting a pay raise at Starbucks? (yes)
Is history a useless degree if I want to become a history teacher? (depends on your state's teacher licensure requirements)

"something else" isn't any better than psychology or history until you've identified your target occupation.
Jennifer
10-year member

MS Applied Nutrition, 2014 Canisius College, NY
Premed/Prenursing Sciences, 2011 Ocean County College, NJ
BA Social Science, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, NJ
AA General Studies, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, NJ
AOS Culinary Arts,1990 Culinary Institute of America, NY

Homeschooling for College Credit
[-] The following 4 users Like cookderosa's post:
  • dewisant, Murdockb, quigongene, Sapientes
You also didn't show what you read. Your own title?

Like Jennifer says, it really depends on what you want to do as a career that makes a degree worthwhile or not.
TESU BSBA in HR, 2018
WVNCC BOG AAS,
GGU Cert in Management, 2000

EXAMS: TECEP Tech Writg, Engl Comp 2, LA Math, Public Rel, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int Alg, Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
B&M COURSESPalomar CollMission Coll, Golden Gate Univ, San Jose State Univ
A lot of people get a degree in anything or a general degree to "check the box". Any finished degree can help. However, yes the jobs can be more competitive for some degree-holders.

Seems that a lot of people study psychology (or social sciences) during undergrad without having a clear plan. Due to the number of psychology degree-holders, it can be trickier. Psychology is a little different than most areas because many of the decent paying jobs need a Masters.

I think it depends on your skills and interests, your situation, etc. Sometimes people go for the tech or business degree because of the money, but they hate it the whole time. Also, some people would rather get any degree faster instead of spending another 3-6 months for a different degree.

What is your gut feeling about doing a STEM degree or business/finance/accounting?
Working on second TESU degree. Graduate in June?
First Masters complete.
TESU BSBA (with ASNSM) in March 2018.
also depends on the cost

going to a private university to get a bachelors in History is ridiculous

NYU is $26k per SEMESTER
https://www.nyu.edu/students/student-inf...-2019.html

going to a public SUNY university in NY (if you're a resident) is only $7k per semester
https://www.suny.edu/smarttrack/tuition-and-fees/
Any degree can be useless, depending on the individual. There are too many factors at play and what you actually need the degree for as well. Generalizations will get you nowhere!

dfrecore (and many others) have sound advice for many years now regarding this - think of where you want to be and work backwards from there to determine what degree you need to start with...otherwise, you're going to be kicking the tire for years and have nothing to show.
TESU for BA in Psych or BS in DS/Analytics + ASNSM in CS
~--------------------~
Working on 5 courses now - 
Statistics.com: Network Analysis
Sophia.org: Intro to Stats, Psych, and Sociology + Envir Science
~86 credits done by end of Sept.
Next up - SOS-110, Study.com for Eng Comp II, then AOS courses
Grad goal - mid/late 2020
Completed - 
28 cr from B&M CC
The Institute: Ethics
CSMlearn 
Study.com: Psy 104, His 108, Edu 104, Edu 103, Pol Sci 102, Comm 120
Sophia.org: Conflict Res, Hum Biology, Visual Comm, US History I + II, Intro to IT, An.Gr.Philosopher
(07-29-2019, 06:51 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(07-29-2019, 03:22 PM)missbootyfull Wrote: I read that and it makes me reconsider if I should do my degree in something else. What do you guys think?

You have to finish the sentence.  
Is psychology a useless degree when I want to become a plumber?  (yes)
Is psychology a useless degree when I want to go to graduate school to earn a doctorate and become a psychologist? (no)
Is history a useless degree for getting a pay raise at Starbucks?  (yes)
Is history a useless degree if I want to become a history teacher? (depends on your state's teacher licensure requirements)

"something else" isn't any better than psychology or history until you've identified your target occupation.

Yes. Once again you're on the money. I don't have a problem with any of those degrees per se. What I have a problem with is kids going into debt to get a degree that won't have a significant financial return. Nothing at all wrong with history or psychology if that's what someone wants to do, but do go into debt for it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes indigoshuffle's post:
  • cookderosa

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Job Positions Offered/Obtained after getting a BA/BS Degree? acamp 7 400 01-15-2019, 08:52 AM
Last Post: quigongene
  15 companies that no longer require a college degree dfrecore 11 1,000 09-08-2018, 08:11 AM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  Another politician lies about her degree davewill 11 983 08-14-2018, 05:30 PM
Last Post: jsd
  How has your degree improved your life? kevinmane 17 2,405 07-05-2018, 08:42 AM
Last Post: Lindagerr
  9 Out of 10 New Jobs are Going to Those with a College Degree sanantone 15 979 06-14-2018, 06:58 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  TN makes CC free for all adults w/o a degree quigongene 12 1,006 05-26-2018, 07:06 PM
Last Post: High_Order1
  92-year-old hair salon owner just earned her fourth college degree jsd 7 671 05-13-2018, 09:34 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Man took 58 years to get his college degree Ideas 22 2,415 03-26-2018, 04:04 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Warning: MUST Have STEM or Business Degree burbuja0512 11 1,066 02-25-2018, 04:58 AM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  Finding a Degree of a Deceased Person? quigongene 13 735 02-22-2018, 09:48 PM
Last Post: quigongene