Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is a psychology or history degree useless?
I read that and it makes me reconsider if I should do my degree in something else. What do you guys think?
(07-29-2019, 03:22 PM)missbootyfull Wrote: I read that and it makes me reconsider if I should do my degree in something else. What do you guys think?

You have to finish the sentence.
Is psychology a useless degree when I want to become a plumber? (yes)
Is psychology a useless degree when I want to go to graduate school to earn a doctorate and become a psychologist? (no)
Is history a useless degree for getting a pay raise at Starbucks? (yes)
Is history a useless degree if I want to become a history teacher? (depends on your state's teacher licensure requirements)

"something else" isn't any better than psychology or history until you've identified your target occupation.
You also didn't show what you read. Your own title?

Like Jennifer says, it really depends on what you want to do as a career that makes a degree worthwhile or not.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
A lot of people get a degree in anything or a general degree to "check the box". Any finished degree can help. However, yes the jobs can be more competitive for some degree-holders.

Seems that a lot of people study psychology (or social sciences) during undergrad without having a clear plan. Due to the number of psychology degree-holders, it can be trickier. Psychology is a little different than most areas because many of the decent paying jobs need a Masters.

I think it depends on your skills and interests, your situation, etc. Sometimes people go for the tech or business degree because of the money, but they hate it the whole time. Also, some people would rather get any degree faster instead of spending another 3-6 months for a different degree.

What is your gut feeling about doing a STEM degree or business/finance/accounting?

also depends on the cost

going to a private university to get a bachelors in History is ridiculous

NYU is $26k per SEMESTER
https://www.nyu.edu/students/student-inf...-2019.html

going to a public SUNY university in NY (if you're a resident) is only $7k per semester
https://www.suny.edu/smarttrack/tuition-and-fees/
Any degree can be useless, depending on the individual. There are too many factors at play and what you actually need the degree for as well. Generalizations will get you nowhere!

dfrecore (and many others) have sound advice for many years now regarding this - think of where you want to be and work backwards from there to determine what degree you need to start with...otherwise, you're going to be kicking the tire for years and have nothing to show.
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
(07-29-2019, 06:51 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(07-29-2019, 03:22 PM)missbootyfull Wrote: I read that and it makes me reconsider if I should do my degree in something else. What do you guys think?

You have to finish the sentence.  
Is psychology a useless degree when I want to become a plumber?  (yes)
Is psychology a useless degree when I want to go to graduate school to earn a doctorate and become a psychologist? (no)
Is history a useless degree for getting a pay raise at Starbucks?  (yes)
Is history a useless degree if I want to become a history teacher? (depends on your state's teacher licensure requirements)

"something else" isn't any better than psychology or history until you've identified your target occupation.

Yes. Once again you're on the money. I don't have a problem with any of those degrees per se. What I have a problem with is kids going into debt to get a degree that won't have a significant financial return. Nothing at all wrong with history or psychology if that's what someone wants to do, but do go into debt for it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes indigoshuffle's post:
  • cookderosa

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abide University Honorary Doctors Degree bjcheung77 0 534 07-07-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TEFL opportunities without a degree Personherebb9 3 479 06-11-2023, 03:09 AM
Video Famous Social Conformity Psychology Experiment LevelUP 0 398 07-31-2022, 09:11 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  for those who have a math degree - is your job math related ? bluebooger 0 525 03-22-2022, 11:42 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  How has getting a degree from the Big Three (and others) changed your career or life? schristian10 3 927 01-21-2022, 09:43 AM
Last Post: williammosher
  Dr. Amy Cuddy 8 years for 1 degree ashkir 3 944 07-11-2021, 01:56 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Degree Forgery Alpha 8 1,561 04-28-2021, 05:16 PM
  History of Degree "Hacking" collegehacked 8 2,653 07-13-2020, 09:48 AM
Last Post: collegehacked
  Excelsior Graduate earns Master's degree. Oh yeah, she's 14 MNomadic 7 1,629 06-17-2020, 02:51 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  For Sale: Southeastern US Bachelor Degree Granting College bjcheung77 6 1,943 06-04-2020, 10:03 AM
Last Post: lillingworth