Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this a new policy at TESU? Educational Provder review. Potentially major problem.
(05-08-2019, 02:12 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Just a quick note: TESU does not always provide pre-approval or pre-plan for courses, so no guarantees you're going to get anywhere with this.  I still wouldn't panic.  I would make sure that I was enrolled, stayed enrolled, and send in courses at least a couple of times a year to make sure things go where you want.  The good news with TESU is that once a course is on your eval, they won't remove it even if they change policies.

Thanks! My intentions were to just start sending them in and see what would happen. I took a meeting with an advisor to discuss anyways. I sent her a sheet with my planned courses from SL, SDC, Aleks, & Sophia. 

SL got back to me and says that their courses are still guaranteed to transfer over, so I'm not really sweating it as of yet. If TESU does play games, there are still other schools to attend. 

I'm already knee deep in classes, so I'd like this to go as smooth as possible.
(05-06-2019, 08:06 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-06-2019, 07:55 PM)Supermind Wrote: So, I called up and spoke to someone at TESU reg this. Her interpretation was that ‘Provisionally approved’ means the credits from those providers will be accepted, but it is upto TESU’s discretion whether those credits would fit into a particular degree or not. It kind of made sense, because CSM Learn’s course is a sure fit for all degrees, but the same cannot be said about Saylor, SL or Study.com courses. Beyond this, she could not offer any clarity, as she was not an academic advisor, and it was past the 11 am - 1 pm slot, when advisors are available to take calls.

The advisors don't know where things fit into degrees either!

You probably need to speak to someone higher up than advisors or the help line.  Like much higher than that, to see what this all means to non-trad students planning on taking alternative credits for 114cr towards their degrees.

I just think TESU is going the wrong way, they think they can force people to take more courses through them, but don't understand how the free market works.  If they make it too difficult, we'll just use COSC, EC, WGU, or other competency-based models. Or a school that will take 90cr of alternative credits but costs a LOT less than TESU per credit.  We're not stupid, we can find plenty of other options TESU!
Yes, but COCS EC WGU doesn’t  have the reputation that TESU has.
(05-13-2019, 01:52 PM)indigoshuffle Wrote:
(05-06-2019, 08:06 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-06-2019, 07:55 PM)Supermind Wrote: So, I called up and spoke to someone at TESU reg this. Her interpretation was that ‘Provisionally approved’ means the credits from those providers will be accepted, but it is upto TESU’s discretion whether those credits would fit into a particular degree or not. It kind of made sense, because CSM Learn’s course is a sure fit for all degrees, but the same cannot be said about Saylor, SL or Study.com courses. Beyond this, she could not offer any clarity, as she was not an academic advisor, and it was past the 11 am - 1 pm slot, when advisors are available to take calls.

The advisors don't know where things fit into degrees either!

You probably need to speak to someone higher up than advisors or the help line.  Like much higher than that, to see what this all means to non-trad students planning on taking alternative credits for 114cr towards their degrees.

I just think TESU is going the wrong way, they think they can force people to take more courses through them, but don't understand how the free market works.  If they make it too difficult, we'll just use COSC, EC, WGU, or other competency-based models. Or a school that will take 90cr of alternative credits but costs a LOT less than TESU per credit.  We're not stupid, we can find plenty of other options TESU!

What reputation is that? Outside of New Jersey TESU is a relatively unknown school. None of those schools are well known outside of their local area (or areas they advertise, in the case of WGU). TESU is popular on this forum, but that is mainly because they used to be the least expensive and the easiest to plan degrees for. It has nothing to do with their academic reputation.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • akr680, natshar
Got a confirmation email from TESU today. The Aleks and study.com credits I had recently transferred have been added to my academic evaluation. So, all is good for now.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
[-] The following 4 users Like Supermind's post:
  • akr680, cookderosa, jsd, saraholson
(05-13-2019, 01:52 PM)indigoshuffle Wrote:
(05-06-2019, 08:06 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I just think TESU is going the wrong way, they think they can force people to take more courses through them, but don't understand how the free market works.  If they make it too difficult, we'll just use COSC, EC, WGU, or other competency-based models. Or a school that will take 90cr of alternative credits but costs a LOT less than TESU per credit.  We're not stupid, we can find plenty of other options TESU!

TESU doesn't have a reputation; nor do COSC or EC.  Outside of the people that live in the state of each school, no one has ever heard of any of them; which is perfectly fine.

The only reason YOU have probably heard about any of these is because of this forum, which is a very small group of people.

Many people may have seen a commercial for WGU, so it may be better known than the rest of these schools.  But it doesn't have much of a reputation.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
this thread is worrying me. i had thought of doing a catalog extension so i could finish my study.com courses while still being locked into the same catalog at tesu. but now i am wondering if i should just take a tecep and stay enrolled
(05-14-2019, 12:50 PM)saraholson Wrote: this thread is worrying me. i had thought of doing a catalog extension so i could finish my study.com courses while still being locked into the same catalog at tesu. but now i am wondering if i should just take a tecep and stay enrolled

Get specific courses approved for your degree plan.

(05-14-2019, 12:50 PM)saraholson Wrote: this thread is worrying me. i had thought of doing a catalog extension so i could finish my study.com courses while still being locked into the same catalog at tesu. but now i am wondering if i should just take a tecep and stay enrolled

Every new year brings potential changes. EC and COSC don't seem to be undergoing as many changes as TESU. I think that's a valid concern.
(05-06-2019, 08:27 PM)sanantone Wrote: Email Marc Singer. He is the director of the department that oversees non-traditional learning. He still comes to this forum occasionally even if he doesn't post. I saw his name on the active users list a few weeks ago.

P.S. That means that TESU is spying on you.

Sanantone—I do lurk on this list occasionally, but I am no longer at TESU. I think they changed a couple of their policies after I left. I am now at Golden Gate University in San Francisco, where I am working to get our policies aligned with the goals of the people on this forum. 

I should probably get a new User ID.

Best,
Marc

Marc Singer, Dean
School of Undergraduate Studies
Golden Gate University
San Francisco, CA
Msinger@ggu.edu
[-] The following 9 users Like MSinger Tesc's post:
  • akr680, allvia, davewill, ECH90, jsd, Muldoon, sanantone, shadowgem, topdog98
(10-25-2019, 03:10 PM)MSinger Tesc Wrote:
(05-06-2019, 08:27 PM)sanantone Wrote: Email Marc Singer. He is the director of the department that oversees non-traditional learning. He still comes to this forum occasionally even if he doesn't post. I saw his name on the active users list a few weeks ago.

P.S. That means that TESU is spying on you.

Sanantone—I do lurk on this list occasionally, but I am no longer at TESU. I think they changed a couple of their policies after I left. I am now at Golden Gate University in San Francisco, where I am working to get our policies aligned with the goals of the people on this forum. 

I should probably get a new User ID.

Best,
Marc

Marc Singer, Dean
School of Undergraduate Studies
Golden Gate University
San Francisco, CA
Msinger@ggu.edu

Well, this should be interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 3 users Like sanantone's post:
  • Clepper43, MSinger Tesc, Nodaclu

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 697 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 261 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,158 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 568 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch