Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's 2017 Income Tax Time and I have a question
sarg123 Wrote:I was wondering the same thing myself - has anyone had any experience of being able to deduct the $2000 residency waiver fee? That would be really nice if I could do that.

<DISCLAIMER> I am not a tax expert, lawyer or accountant. I am just someone spouting off on the Internet. Do not depend on me for expert tax advice.</DISCLAIMER>

The IRS Instructions for Form 8863 says "Generally, qualified education expenses are amounts paid in 2016 for tuition and fees required for the student's enrollment or attendance at an eligible educational institution."

My guess is that the Residency Waiver is therefore not deductible, as it isn't required for attendance -- you could take the classes instead. However, the Graduation Fee is unavoidable, so you might be able to deduct that. On the other hand, the Admission Fee is also unavoidable, and that wasn't included on the Form 1098-T that TESU sent me -- which I assumed meant it wasn't deductible.
The graduation fee showed up on my 1098T so I used it. I don't know how the residency waiver is handled, but I don't find your logic about "required" persuasive and would expect it to count.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
bghill Wrote:<DISCLAIMER> I am not a tax expert, lawyer or accountant. I am just someone spouting off on the Internet. Do not depend on me for expert tax advice.</DISCLAIMER>

The IRS Instructions for Form 8863 says "Generally, qualified education expenses are amounts paid in 2016 for tuition and fees required for the student's enrollment or attendance at an eligible educational institution."

My guess is that the Residency Waiver is therefore not deductible, as it isn't required for attendance -- you could take the classes instead. However, the Graduation Fee is unavoidable, so you might be able to deduct that. On the other hand, the Admission Fee is also unavoidable, and that wasn't included on the Form 1098-T that TESU sent me -- which I assumed meant it wasn't deductible.

I would say the exact opposite (except the disclaimer, which I should have on here as well). Some sort of residency (either the waiver or extra course costs) must be paid to graduate from the school.

Your best bet is to ask a CPA (and it may be fairly cheap to use someone, it's actually saved me thousands, and worth the $125 it cost me to get them done this year by my CPA).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
alzee Wrote:Gotcha. There are a ton of tax programs, but there are few to none that will directly reimburse for things like StraighterLine. All the costs at TESU should count though, including the residency waiver; I got my 1098-T from them weeks ago and it's for almost $3000; I took one 1cr class through them and 1 TECEP, the rest was the residency waiver, graduation fee, etc.

Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread - info is here!hilarious
Goal: BSBA in Accounting through TESU, 150 credits, Credits so far: 137/150
Received: A.S. in Business Administration, Aug. 2016

Tests taken so far:
Cleps: Psychology (73), College Composition Modular (65), Social Science and History (67), Humanities (59), Marketing (72), Analyzing and Interpreting  Literature (77)
TECEP: Strategic Management Capstone (72)
Aleks: Statistics (71!)
Davar: International Management (82), Intro to Computing (80), American Government (79), Managerial Communications (70)
Study.com: Personal Finance (92), Human Growth and Development (84), Social Psychology (88) Human Resources Management (86)
The Institutes: (76)
Online Accounting Classes: Columbia College: Advanced Accounting, Tax II, TESU: Audit

Up ahead:
Study.com:  Costing, ?
Saylor: Intro to political Science?, Management Info. Systems?
TEEX
So was there ever a definitive answer here? Any way to get a break for all those ace courses and the residency waiver?
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

If I don't make graduation this year, could I apply in December anyways and then it would apply towards my 2017 taxes?
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

icampy Wrote:If I don't make graduation this year, could I apply in December anyways and then it would apply towards my 2017 taxes?

You should be able the school is going to issue the tax form this year if it's paid by December 31st
Awesome, thank you. I will plan to do it either way . Then enjoy a few months of NO SCHOOLWORK.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,725 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  RBA degree question Jennr2z 19 3,035 12-14-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Question about BYU Independent Study Amberlinjeanne 4 1,228 09-05-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Average time to complete a Mechanical Engineering Degree soliloquy 8 6,386 08-14-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: soliloquy
  Why It's Time for Legacy College Admissions to Go LevelUP 0 359 05-09-2023, 09:15 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  7 Time-Management Tips for Online College Students LevelUP 0 457 02-08-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  EdX MicroBachelors letter grade question cardiacclep 3 593 12-28-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Transferology question - how to find ACE and NCCRS? katsiki 4 526 10-09-2022, 01:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Question about Transferring Credits Nelson Lin 3 714 09-17-2022, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 2 1,144 08-24-2022, 03:41 PM
Last Post: sparkling