Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's been confusing, but I think I finally have this degree plan for TESC figured out
Hi everybody! I'm fairly new to the forum, actually I've been snooping around for a while now doing research but this is my first post. I have to say that this forum is just outstanding with so much information and great people willing to offer such great advice!

As far as college goes, I already have an Associates of Science degree from a B&M community college, however I'm a complete newbie when it comes to this testing out of courses thing. I'm in the military and had always heard about it from the education center here on the base, but I guess I never believed you could really do it and have it count for anything. After finding this forum and reading the degree plans in the wiki area, it got me thinking that maybe I'm not as far away from finishing my degree as I thought I was. So please forgive me if I have this all wrong(it's my first attempt at making a degree plan...lol), but this is what I came up with after using some of the degree plans on here as a template.

CC= Community College courses already completed
CLEP, DSST, ESE= Courses I still have to test out of.
UL= Upper level (to fulfill the 18 credit requirement.

BA in Psychology (TESC)

Gen Ed. Requirements (60)
English Composition (6)
1. English Composition 1 (3) (CC)
2. Composition & Analysis (3) (CC)

Humanities (12) (Must have at least 2 subject areas)
1. Understanding Art (3) (CC)
2. Intro. to Philosophy (3) (CC)
3. Intro to Literature (3) (CC)
4. Fundamentals of Effective Speaking (3) (CC)

Social Sciences (12) (Must have at least 2 subject areas)
1. Cultural Anthropology (3) (CC)
2. Human Growth & Development (3) (CC)
3. Principles of Sociology (3) (CC)
4. U.S. History to 1877 (3) (CC)

Natural Science & Math (12) (Must have at least 2 subject areas)
1. College Algebra (3) (CC)
2. General Biology 1 (3) (CC)
3. General Chemistry 1(3) (CC)
4. Intro. to Computing (3) (DSST)

General Education Electives (18)
1. Environment & Humanity (3) (DSST)
2. Intro. to Astronomy (3) (CC)
3. American Government (3) (CLEP)
4. Intro. to World Religion (3) (DSST)(UL)
5. Here's to your Health (3) (DSST)
6. Ethics in America (3) (ESE) (UL)

Area of Study: Psychology (33)
Required Courses (9)
1. Intro. to Psychology (3) (CC)
2. Statistics (3) (DSST)
3. Experimental Psychology (3) (ESE- Research Methods in Psychology can be used here) (UL)

Psychology Electives (21)
1. Organizational Behavior (3) (DSST) (UL)
2. Fundamentals of Counseling (3) (DSST)
3. Social Psychology (3) (ESE) (UL)
4. Abnormal Psychology (3) (ESE) (UL)
5. Substance Abuse (3) (DSST) (UL)
6. Psychology of Adulthood & Aging (3) (ESE) (UL)
7. Intro. to Educational Psychology (3) (CLEP)

Required Liberal Arts Capstone (3) (UL) (I know that I can't test out of this and have to take the actual class.

Free Electives (27)
1. Liberal Arts Math (3) (CC)
2. Human Anatomy & Physiology (4) (CC)
3. General Zoology (3) (CC)
4. Intro to Medical Terminology (1) (CC)
5. Intro to Physical Geography (3) (CC)
6. Foundations of Education (3) (DSST)
7. World Population (3) (ESE)
8. The Civil War & Reconstruction (3) (DSST)
9. A History of the Vietnam War (3) (DSST)
10. Criminal Justice (3) (DSST)

So what do you think? Any advise or comments are welcome! Hopefully I didn't mess it up too bad. Thank you again for all the time and knowledge that all of you give to helping those of us just starting on this path.
It looks good. You can use ALEKS for statistics and it would be cheaper, but some people find it to be more tedious than studying for the DSST. I'm not sure if the Psychology of Adulthood and Aging ECE is UL. TESC doesn't follow other colleges and organizations' suggestions in this regard. Maybe someone else who has taken the test will know for sure or maybe you saw it in someone's wiki plan. Fundamentals of Counseling has been counted for many as an UL psychology course. Things can change, though. Remember that TESC also offers TECEPs for $99.

Here's to Your Health will more than likely not go in general education electives. It has been counted as a free elective for most. I didn't calculate how many CC credits you're transferring, but you're limited to 80. Also, you have to apply before July 1st in order to lock in the current general education requirements. I suggest enrolling before that date to lock them in, but a few people on this forum got it in writing that all they have to do is apply. The new general education requirements might change your degree plan a bit.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Sanantone,

Thanks so much for taking the time to look over my plan! As you pointed out, I might have a class or two here and there to tweek which is fine. I just wanted to make sure from people way more experienced at this than me, like yourself, that I was at least in the ball park with this plan. Yes, I am definitely going to apply before the July 1st deadline that I've heard so much about.

The number of credits I'll be transfering in is like 72 I believe, so I should be in good shape as far as coming in under the 80. You mentioned the ALEKS for Statistics was cheaper. One question I have about that and maybe you would know or have talked with someone in my situation, but I'm being told that because I'm military all CLEP and DSST test are free of charge. Thats the only reason I was gonna go the DSST route on Statistics. I might even be able to use my military Tuition Assistance to pay for the enrollment fee, so I could really keep my overall cost down significantly if thats true about the tests being free for military.

Thanks again for your help. I really do appreciate it!
As far as I know, the tests are free for military. In that case, I say take the test. If you happen to fail, there are other options.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
The DSST and CLEP are free to military for the first attempt, if you fail and have to take it again its on you. It used to be you could retake for no cost, so people would go in a take a bunch of tests just to see what they were like and retake the ones they thought were easier.
I would also recommend using the FEMA courses for the Free Electives since they are Free and fairly easy. But being military you will probably get a few Free Electives from your military transcript depending on what service you are in. I gained just about all of them through my military schools.
AMU: 39 Gen Ed credits
Military ACE credits: 24 Gen Ed/GMS/Bus/Free credits
Clep: College Mathmatics 67 , Prin of Management 65 , College Algebra 56 , Anal & Interpreting Lit 65
DSST: Intro to Computing 452 , Prin of Supervision 446 , Management Information Systems 437 , Human Resource Mgmt 68 , Organization Behavior 63
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra , Pre-Calculus
Straighterline: Accounting I , Accounting II , Finiancial Accounting , Business Ethics
TEEX: Cybersecurity for Everyone
PF: Financial Management , Strategic Management
Saylor: Marketing
TECEP: Advertising
TESC: APS-401 Current Trends & Applications
It looks like the OP's free electives are filled up with the CC courses he already took.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,196 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,854 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,339 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,671 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,854 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,772 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 4,996 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,959 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,321 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,676 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero