Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just finding out about exit exam during last semester of master's program
A few weeks ago my class was informed that in addition to our final thesis topic, we must also take an exam in order to graduate. The exam would cover all core classes we have taken from the beginning. Generally, I would have no problem with that but it irritates me that we are just now finding out about it.

We will be the first class responsible for taking the exit exam. Had I known about the exam previously I would not have rented some of the textbooks I've had in my core classes and I would not have traded in others. No study guide has been provided and no additional information has been given other than the fact that this is simply a combination of all the classes we have taken.

It has taken me only 18 months to finish this master's degree but I know other students who have been in this program for four years and they are now being asked to recall information from 4 years ago. I suppose if they do not remember some of this information they will have to repurchase textbooks in order to study for the exam.

Is this something that typically happens? I always thought that when you joined the program the requirement stayed the same throughout the program for the catalog year in which you were admitted.
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
I did not expect it either, but our requirements are shifting around, too. That is a huge change, especially since you have not known to keep reviewing your previous material for this.

We need to pass an exam at the midway point, in order to continue the degree program. Based on the practice tests, it appears that there will be one final-level multi-part problem for each class. We'll have about an hour for each one.

Try to find out how many questions, question types, and the length of time you will have. Also, ask if you will be allowed to have a calculator and any notes. Is it pass/fail? Will you be allowed more than one attempt? If so, how often is it given?

You've made it this far; I know that you won't let this new hurdle stop you from successfully completing your degree!
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
NAP Wrote:I did not expect it either, but our requirements are shifting around, too. That is a huge change, especially since you have not known to keep reviewing your previous material for this.

We need to pass an exam at the midway point, in order to continue the degree program. Based on the practice tests, it appears that there will be one final-level multi-part problem for each class. We'll have about an hour for each one.

Try to find out how many questions, question types, and the length of time you will have. Also, ask if you will be allowed to have a calculator and any notes. Is it pass/fail? Will you be allowed more than one attempt? If so, how often is it given?

You've made it this far; I know that you won't let this new hurdle stop you from successfully completing your degree!

I have a 4.0. I'll be fine. I wasn't posting to get sympathy or test taking advice. I am very capable. I just wanted to know how common it is for them to change requirements mid stream.

So far, there have been 2 major changes. One was to make some of the required classes into electives. The other was to change the requirements of the final project. I was surprised that this was fluid and not locked-in.

I don't doubt your abilities, but I think they should at least give you a rough outline of the test experience.

I'm not sure why they would add this at the last minute, but I wonder if it could have something to do with accreditation for your program.

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

NAP Wrote:So far, there have been 2 major changes. One was to make some of the required classes into electives. The other was to change the requirements of the final project. I was surprised that this was fluid and not locked-in.

I don't doubt your abilities, but I think they should at least give you a rough outline of the test experience.

I'm not sure why they would add this at the last minute, but I wonder if it could have something to do with accreditation for your program.

She said they've been giving exit exams since 2010 (even though no one I've talked to has ever heard of one) but that they never used to count for a grade. Apparently, people weren't taking them seriously enough so they decided to make them count for a grade. She said she has volunteered to work on a study guide but that won't help for our particular class. They won't give any additional information regarding the exam except that it is 2 hours. Nothing regarding the number of questions, format, or anything like that. We just need to review all our past homework, notes, texts, etc. from our core classes - that's what I was told.

I'm taking it in 2 hours.

A little late to the game here -- hope you passed that exam!

I'll just chime in that my current university only uses exit exams in lieu of a Master's thesis. I don't know of any programs at my university that require both, nor do I understand why both would be required.

dmjacobsen http://donaldjacobsen.com
Author, nurse, and all-around awesome guy
MSN Executive Leadership - The University of Memphis - 2016
MBA Healthcare Management - Western Governors University - 2015
What is it with colleges and universities? Not to demean their product, but education IS a product. We're the consumers. What other business could get by with treating their consumers in this manner? Some institutions of higher learning act as if education has some special status that elevates it above other consumer products or services. It isn't right.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
In my case, I wonder if it is a specialized degree and a work-in-progress, as they figure out which requirements work well and which ones do not. Hopefully, they are making real improvements to the program without making it impossible to finish the degree.

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

soliloquy Wrote:A few weeks ago my class was informed that in addition to our final thesis topic, we must also take an exam in order to graduate. The exam would cover all core classes we have taken from the beginning. Generally, I would have no problem with that but it irritates me that we are just now finding out about it.

We will be the first class responsible for taking the exit exam. Had I known about the exam previously I would not have rented some of the textbooks I've had in my core classes and I would not have traded in others. No study guide has been provided and no additional information has been given other than the fact that this is simply a combination of all the classes we have taken.

It has taken me only 18 months to finish this master's degree but I know other students who have been in this program for four years and they are now being asked to recall information from 4 years ago. I suppose if they do not remember some of this information they will have to repurchase textbooks in order to study for the exam.

Is this something that typically happens? I always thought that when you joined the program the requirement stayed the same throughout the program for the catalog year in which you were admitted.

Not at all ok if I were in your shoes. Even if you get a perfect score, it's unreasonable for them to change the graduation criteria after you've started. I think you should escalate this. You might have to go high- but this is a big deal.
dmjacobsen Wrote:A little late to the game here -- hope you passed that exam!

I'll just chime in that my current university only uses exit exams in lieu of a Master's thesis. I don't know of any programs at my university that require both, nor do I understand why both would be required.

My professor says that it's more for educator assessment purposes than for student assessment and he promises that he won't let the exam affect my grade - then he asked me to drop it. LOL. I only sent two emails. I've learned since my initial post that a few students were required to take the test that haven't even taken the classes the test covers yet. One student in particular is taking two of the classes covered by the test over the summer before graduating. I realized while taking the test that it included questions covering a chapter in a class that I am currently taking. Additionally, the tests was missing letters as if the test didn't load properly. Students were reporting that the test as ooking somethin ike ths. I called the program facilitator to discuss it with her and she logged into the exam and said yep, for some reason it's loading incorrectly. She did fix it but the exam window was 10 days long and she only fixed it a day before the exam window closed so I'm not sure how much that helped. I did pass the exam but for me it's the principle. I didn't have the opportunity to do my best.

There were 60 questions covering:

TCM 701 Project Management
TCM 710 Project Leadership
TCM 645 Project Control Systems
TCM 651 Engineering Economic Analysis..
TCM 740 Mgt. of Innovation & Tech.
TCM 750 Advanced Project Mgt.

My biggest issue with the exam is that I no longer have the textbooks for TCM 651 and TCM 645 because I didn't know there'd be an exit exam. In my effort to save money, I traded them in for other textbooks I needed. Unfortunately, there were questions on the test that required calculations using formulas that I no longer recalled such as the arithmetic gradient factor formula. I couldn't solve three problems because I just plain couldn't recall the formula. The exit exam was open book. Playing devil's advocate, I could have repurchased the textbooks just for the exit exam but in the whiniest voice I can muster, I didn't want to and I didn't think I should have to spend another 400 on textbooks just to take this exam. Had I known about the exit exam, I would have recommitted the formula to memory. This is a program on project management ..just doesn't seem like they have their change management procedures down.

Whatever, I graduate in 28 days. I'll suck it up.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation WORST NIGHTMARE: Man Opens Airplane Exit Door During Flight! LevelUP 4 622 10-14-2023, 01:59 PM
Last Post: TechManRenewed
  Program to educate incarcerated people costs 40K per graduate?! studyingfortests 25 1,767 05-11-2022, 06:29 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Finding Pictures of Odd Things Thread Vle045 17 1,345 04-19-2022, 09:09 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Oregon Might Do Away w/the Bar Exam Altogether bluebooger 1 564 02-01-2022, 08:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Passed the PenTest+ beta exam! jamshid666 8 1,158 11-16-2021, 07:20 PM
Last Post: jamshid666
  MASTER |OF SCIENCE IN COMPUTER SCIENCE | Liverfool John Moores University akr680 0 799 08-18-2021, 05:37 PM
Last Post: akr680
  Help: Master of Science in Engineering Management DanielDaCosta87 3 1,070 08-15-2021, 03:06 PM
Last Post: DanielDaCosta87
Information Pell Grant recipients and others can apply for Emergency Broadband Benefit Program MNomadic 2 898 05-16-2021, 03:34 AM
Last Post: jch
  HP Instant Ink Program - May change next month bjcheung77 0 752 10-19-2020, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Excelsior Graduate earns Master's degree. Oh yeah, she's 14 MNomadic 7 1,670 06-17-2020, 02:51 PM
Last Post: bluebooger