Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Learning Management System
I just saw in the newsletter that my school is looking at possibly changing their learning management system.  They are currently on iCampus and considering Canvas among “others”.  So, out of curiosity…. What do you like?
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
There are a few, colleges/institutes and universities sometimes have their own or use a service that's available such as Blackboard, Canvas, Moodle, etc. And some use other services such as the MOOCs or partner with Coursera, Edx, FutureLearn, UpGrad and Udacity. I think there are too many available, each has their pros/cons, but the Big 3 so far is Blackboard, Canvas, Moodle.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Vle045
I'm most familiar with Moodle (undergraduate, graduate, and Saylor Academy).

I used Brightspace for a class at Oakton.

The ASU/Thunderbird 100 Million Learners coursework is on Canvas.
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
[-] The following 1 user Likes carrythenothing's post:
  • Vle045
I think Moodle is a little clunky. I used that on Saylor and UoPeople. I wasn't crazy about it, but it does do the trick.

I am using Canvas on the Thunderbird free classes. I kind of like it. Although from time to time, I get a little lost. That might be due to the way the free classes are set up, I am not sure. I can't seem to pick up where I left off. I have to click around and get to the list where I can see what appears to be completed.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)

Moodle is amateurish. There isn't much development behind it. It also looks outdated. 

Brightspace seems to be the popular choice. With a cloud solution, colleges don't have to worry as much about security risks.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(06-23-2022, 09:05 AM)LevelUP Wrote: Moodle is amateurish. There isn't much development behind it. It also looks outdated. 

Brightspace seems to be the popular choice. With a cloud solution, colleges don't have to worry as much about security risks.

Is Brightspace the same as or related to Canvas?  I feel like I have seen links with both when I am on ASU/Thunderbird

Oh wait. I think I am mistaken… that was “instructure” not Brightspace that I saw in the ASU links
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 

I've used Canvas, Blackboard, Moodle, and Strut. Moodle is by far my least favorite. Everything about it feels like I'm in 1995. Canvas is my favorite of these. I found Canvas to have a very clean look. Everything you need is easy to find. There is a good amount of whitespace so your eyes and brain aren't freaking out looking at the screen. They use really good fonts. I'm using Moodle right now and it's very inconsistent. The spacing between assignments from professors and in the discussions is random at best. It looks like a 10 year created it while they were sleeping.

ETA: Brightspace and Canvas aren't related. They're owned by different companies.
(06-23-2022, 09:05 AM)LevelUP Wrote: Moodle is amateurish. There isn't much development behind it. It also looks outdated. 

Have to disagree. Moodle isn't my favorite either, but in fairness there is a lot of development behind it. In fact they just released version 4.0.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
[-] The following 2 users Like SteveFoerster's post:
  • carrythenothing, Jonathan Whatley
(06-23-2022, 08:00 PM)SteveFoerster Wrote:

Have to disagree. Moodle isn't my favorite either, but in fairness there is a lot of development behind it. In fact they just released version 4.0.
I can see where something could look old but at the same time be robust.  By comparison, I’ve used ProgressBook’s DASL which is a student information program.  It looks like it’s DOS based.  But it is so much more useful in a lot of ways than it’s pretty competitor PowerSchool.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 

Moodle is open source, which lends itself to an institution changing the interface and features.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • Vle045

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,782 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Western Oregon University Adopts New Grading System LevelUP 13 916 02-01-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  U.S. News will rank distance learning programs in business, IT and other fields LevelUP 1 283 01-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Spanish - Learning website security breach bjcheung77 1 1,101 12-24-2023, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Johann
  Project Management Training: ENEB, Google or others? JPN 9 2,431 12-08-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  TEL Learning? faptaincrunch 9 1,348 11-09-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: suzume
  TECEP Operations Management colinsr 4 587 10-09-2023, 11:06 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Distance Learning Information and Conversation Discord Server ThatBankDude 5 825 06-28-2023, 08:35 PM
Last Post: xianbd
  Coursera, Udemy & LinkedIn Learning ss20ts 6 2,127 06-12-2023, 11:51 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  ProctorU moving to new 'Guardian Browser' system jch 4 2,207 05-17-2023, 04:04 PM
Last Post: jch