Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Liberal Arts Capstone
Quote:Riley,

Congrats on completing the capstone. I am enrolled in for May 1st, and was wondering if I need to buy any books for the course or is it e-Book?

Do not worry about buying the books, the reading assignments (which I do not remember being asked to turn in anything over them) are attached in blackboard.

Quote:Thanks for the suggestion. I just want to get over with this class. Whats the 25 pages research paper is it for final project?

The entire class is the research paper or creative project. Basically you slowly write the paper, and follow a set format. I finished my paper before the date (actually in December) and received my grade yesterday (100%)

Quote:Riley2012 (or anyone else that has done the Capstone),

What kinds of topics did you and others pick for your 25 page paper?

You can literally pick anything!

Ok now my honest and blunt opinion...since I have received my grade now Smile

aka my rant:
This class is a joke. The mentor is totally unattached and his responses to your assignment I believe are copy/paste. The only time you will not receive a 100 is if do not turn in an assignment when it is due or format it correctly. Easy A. Just remember to turn in your assignments on time and proof read. The content does not matter. If I had to pay for this class I would be POed. banghead

Ok I am done Smile
39 B&M Credits To Start With
Goal: 18 Test + 1 Capstone + 15 Fema = BALS TESC :hurray:
Plan: Started 09/10/12
Degree by June 2013
Test taken:
DSST: Human Cultural Geography - 3Cr (9/14/12)
DSST: Intro to Computing - 3Cr (9/14/12)
CLEP: A & I Literature - 6Cr (9/21/12)
DSST: World Religions - 3Cr (9/28/12)
DSST: Law Enforcement - 3Cr (9/28/12)
DSST: Substance Abuse - 3Cr (10/05/12)
CLEP: Sociology - 3Cr (10/25/12)
CLEP: American Lit - 6Cr (11/02/12)
DSST: Organizational Behavior - 3Cr (11/16/12)
CLEP: Psych - 3Cr (11/28/12)
DSST: Fund of Counseling - 3Cr (11/30/12)
DSST: Techl Writing - 3Cr (11/30/12)
DSST: Lifespan Dev Psych - 3Cr (12/04/12)
CLEP: Social Science - 6Cr (12/07/12)
DSST: Prin of Supervision - 3Cr (2/01/13)
DSST: Env & Hum - 3Cr (2/5/13)
DSST: Astronomy (2/27/13)
DSST: Vietnam (3/4/13)
TESC LA Capstone (3/22/13)
120/120 Credits Achieved

I have a few additional questions that maybe someone who has already completed the capstone could answer:

1. The 25 page paper seems daunting to me, I have previously only had to do papers that were 10 pages long. How much of a struggle was it to come up with that amount of research to write about?

2. Could you technically take a topic you previously done in another class and expand on that?

3. Does the 25 page paper include the cover sheet, reference page, and perhaps some "filler" material, you know like informative charts and graphs?

4. While taking this 12 week class, where you still able to make time to take a few Dsst/Cleps tests or does the research paper take up all your free time?

I appreciate all the info provided in this thread, it has been very helpful. I wish the 25 page paper could be about taking a time machine back to last year and giving TESC their enrollment fee then to bypass the capstone course Smile
Clep's Passed: Humanites 70, Sociology 60, Psy 74, HG&D 61, EP 64
DSST's Passed: World Religions 480, Vietnam War 67, Environment & Humanity 67, M&B 64, MIS 449, Org Beh. 64, CJ 437, SA 450, USSR 64, CW 66,
Penn Foster: Fin. Man.
Did all the aleks stuff
TESC: Lib. Cap, BA in Social Science December 2013
bluespecial Wrote:I have a few additional questions that maybe someone who has already completed the capstone could answer:

1. The 25 page paper seems daunting to me, I have previously only had to do papers that were 10 pages long. How much of a struggle was it to come up with that amount of research to write about?

You will be writing the 25-page paper over a span of 10 weeks (five modules). That equates to about five pages every two weeks. To be honest, I, too, was overwhelmed by the 25-page minimum, but it has turned out that my paper is currently about 33 pages long and counting. It's really not that bad once you get started, especially if it's a topic you are enthusiastic about.

2. Could you technically take a topic you previously done in another class and expand on that?

I guess you could, but I decided not to. Keep in mind, you will need to include lots of sources, be it books, online sites, interviews, statistics, etc.

3. Does the 25 page paper include the cover sheet, reference page, and perhaps some "filler" material, you know like informative charts and graphs?

I don't think it includes "filler" material (i.e. the appendix), but I think it does include the cover sheet.

4. While taking this 12 week class, where you still able to make time to take a few Dsst/Cleps tests or does the research paper take up all your free time?

I was taking three other online TESC courses while I was working on this one, and I'm planning on beginning an LSU course and a TECEP now that the TESC courses are over. The workload for this course is not very heavy - a discussion post and a paper every two weeks.

I appreciate all the info provided in this thread, it has been very helpful. I wish the 25 page paper could be about taking a time machine back to last year and giving TESC their enrollment fee then to bypass the capstone course Smile

My answers are in blue above. Smile
CLEPs:
Biology: 64 | College Algebra: 60 | A&IL: 74 | Natural Sciences: 62 | College Comp: 62 | Intro Psychology: 73 | Intro Sociology: 67 | History of the U.S. I: 73 | History of the U.S. II: 65 | Principles of Marketing: 66 | Social Sciences & History: 68 | Humanities: 58

DSSTs:
Environment & Humanity: 59 | Technical Writing: 66 | Public Speaking: 67/Pass | Astronomy: 72

Other Courses:
Intro to Stats ALEKS: 70 | 24 FEMAs (including PDS) | Intro to News Reporting TECEP: Pass | Interpersonal Communication ECE: A | News Writing @ TESC: A | TESC Leadership Communication: A | TESC Mass Communication I: A | TESC Capstone: A | Marketing Communications TECEP: Pass | Argumentation & Debate @ LSU: A | Public Relations Thought & Practice TECEP: Pass

120/120 - DONE!!!
B.A. Communications through CollegePlus/TESC
My degree plan/test feedback
Alternatives to research paper Capstones include project or performance Captstones which according to the TESC description culminate in a smaller paper (15 pages) and some kind of presentation (filmed Power Point, class lecture, sales pitch, articistic performance, etc.?). Has anyone done one of these kind of Capstones?

I'm matriculated at TESC for a BA Music and will enroll for my Capstone in June. It would appropriate to do either a research (musicology or history) or a performance (compose/arrange/perform music) Captstone for my major. Quite frankly, the paper might be easier and more sure of completion on time, but a performanc production would probably be more educational and fulfilling as a true "capstone" of my major (courses are concentrated in muical theater performance). I am considering composing a school song or anthem for Tom Ed. Any thoughts out there?
Hello Lady Grace,

I just returned here from your "degree plan" thread and let please allow me to give you some hearty applause for the great reporting!

I'm matriculated at TESC for a BA Music having originally started out as a Musical Theater Major. Since you are a dancer and doing your capstone in a dance subject and obviously a very erudite individual to boot, I was wondering why you did not pursue any PLA credits at TESC for some of your free electives. I have to do a few PLAs in order to get the upper level credits I need in music to finish by the end of this summer. In fact I have already just started one, "Music Theater" and am not sure what I'm doing here except that I know this subject extremely well after four summers with the Waterside Theater in The Lost Colony" So do you know some hidden danger in this PLA proecess that I have'nt found out?

As an aside, what are your plans after graduation? I once played and danced Judd in Oklahoma! It was great to work with the ballerina and put some of my ballet education to work. Best regards and good luck!
JohnnyHeck Wrote:Hello Lady Grace,

I just returned here from your "degree plan" thread and let please allow me to give you some hearty applause for the great reporting!

Thank you! Smile

JohnnyHeck Wrote:I'm matriculated at TESC for a BA Music having originally started out as a Musical Theater Major. Since you are a dancer and doing your capstone in a dance subject and obviously a very erudite individual to boot, I was wondering why you did not pursue any PLA credits at TESC for some of your free electives. I have to do a few PLAs in order to get the upper level credits I need in music to finish by the end of this summer. In fact I have already just started one, "Music Theater" and am not sure what I'm doing here except that I know this subject extremely well after four summers with the Waterside Theater in The Lost Colony" So do you know some hidden danger in this PLA proecess that I have'nt found out?

I hardly know anything about PLAs, but I have nothing against them, really. I just wanted to fill up my "Free Electives" section as quickly and for as little money as possible. My goal is to complete my degree in a year or less, and I didn't feel like I had time to spend on courses such as PLAs. I loved the quick, easy format of the FEMAs, and since they were free, too, I took almost as many as I could (I wanted to take the Marketing CLEP, so I put that in there, too). I simply found that FEMAs were a better fit for me. Smile

JohnnyHeck Wrote:As an aside, what are your plans after graduation? I once played and danced Judd in Oklahoma! It was great to work with the ballerina and put some of my ballet education to work. Best regards and good luck!

After I graduate, I am going to keep working towards my goal of being a professional ballet dancer with a company. Right now, I am training with an amazing European teacher, whose career was absolutely brilliant. She is such an inspiration! I am also planning on working with a public relations firm or a news station.

On another note, Oklahoma! is one of my favorite musicals. My favorite song of the muscial was most likely "Oh, What a Beautiful Mornin'." It must have been a fun opportunity to have such a great role in that! Smile Good luck on your performing career!
CLEPs:
Biology: 64 | College Algebra: 60 | A&IL: 74 | Natural Sciences: 62 | College Comp: 62 | Intro Psychology: 73 | Intro Sociology: 67 | History of the U.S. I: 73 | History of the U.S. II: 65 | Principles of Marketing: 66 | Social Sciences & History: 68 | Humanities: 58

DSSTs:
Environment & Humanity: 59 | Technical Writing: 66 | Public Speaking: 67/Pass | Astronomy: 72

Other Courses:
Intro to Stats ALEKS: 70 | 24 FEMAs (including PDS) | Intro to News Reporting TECEP: Pass | Interpersonal Communication ECE: A | News Writing @ TESC: A | TESC Leadership Communication: A | TESC Mass Communication I: A | TESC Capstone: A | Marketing Communications TECEP: Pass | Argumentation & Debate @ LSU: A | Public Relations Thought & Practice TECEP: Pass

120/120 - DONE!!!
Riley2012 Wrote:Along with your 25 page paper you will turn in 5 chapters over basically writing a paper at the end. Those chapters are what the written assignments are. Our mentor calls it a paper about your paper. Boy can they get lengthy.

First off, thanks to everyone for their feedback, on this! It is really helpful, for those of us getting ready to take the Capstone.

Secondly, I have a quick question...which might be obvious, but I'm a tad confused. Smile Are the written assignments (chapters) THE Capstone or are the chapters and Capstone paper two separate things? Sorry, if that is stated elsewhere...I'm just wondering about the "paper about your paper."

Thanks! Smile
TayTay Wrote:Secondly, I have a quick question...which might be obvious, but I'm a tad confused. Smile Are the written assignments (chapters) THE Capstone or are the chapters and Capstone paper two separate things? Sorry, if that is stated elsewhere...I'm just wondering about the "paper about your paper."

Thanks! Smile

The Capstone (which you will submit at the end of the class) is simply all the chapters you wrote throughout the class mushed together into one big paper. It's kind of like you are writing a miniature book; the all the chapters put together make up the entire story. Hope that helps - I know the whole thing was really confusing to me, too. Wink
CLEPs:

DSSTs:

Other Courses:

120/120 - DONE!!!
Lady Grace of Pemberley Wrote:The Capstone (which you will submit at the end of the class) is simply all the chapters you wrote throughout the class mushed together into one big paper. It's kind of like you are writing a miniature book; the all the chapters put together make up the entire story. Hope that helps - I know the whole thing was really confusing to me, too. Wink

Thanks, Lady Grace! You are always so helpful! Smile
TayTay, if you plan on taking the Capstone starting July 1st I would sign up pretty soon if you haven't already. The Liberal Arts Capstone classes look to be filling up fast. I paid TESC my enrollment fee yesterday and plan to sign up for the capstone today--after I take a Clep. I am kind of dreading the 25 page paper but I figured it's now or never, and I think in order to have the Bachelor's degree "in hand" this calendar year one must start the Capstone class no later than July 1st.
Clep's Passed: Humanites 70, Sociology 60, Psy 74, HG&D 61, EP 64
DSST's Passed: World Religions 480, Vietnam War 67, Environment & Humanity 67, M&B 64, MIS 449, Org Beh. 64, CJ 437, SA 450, USSR 64, CW 66,
Penn Foster: Fin. Man.
Did all the aleks stuff
TESC: Lib. Cap, BA in Social Science December 2013

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,127 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Capstone Anxiety Iamtehking 9 4,329 09-18-2018, 06:22 AM
Last Post: rlw74
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,605 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  BUS-421 - Capstone - Final Project Submitted! Gloddy 16 4,750 08-05-2018, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Gloddy
  Liberal Studies General Coursework won't be filled by BUS or CIS courses? posabsolute 5 1,739 08-01-2018, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Lewis.Yim
  TESU LIberal Studies, what qualifies jeffreymb 9 2,262 07-26-2018, 01:35 PM
Last Post: rlw74
  TESU LIB-495 Capstone Ideas JanuarySunshine 1 1,674 07-21-2018, 11:42 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Enrolled in the Business Capstone course for the July Term. Anybody else? camjenks 25 4,989 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: keokat
  Capstone TESU d.cononge 16 4,825 06-27-2018, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JayUsher
  Two More UL Courses and Capstone MrBossmanJr 17 3,551 06-27-2018, 08:13 AM
Last Post: MrBossmanJr