Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Masters for Career Change
(12-30-2018, 12:54 PM)davewill Wrote: Have you talked with your current employers? Maybe you could be part of their exit strategy from the business and end up your own boss.

Unfortunately, despite being an international brand with surprising global influence....it's paradoxically also a small mom & pop situation, structurally. The owners are very....um.... "quirky" and, shall we say, they frequently make decisions that are more in the best interest of their immediate family, and not necessarily in the best interests of the company. 

I've tried to talk about their exit strategy, given their age and the main owner's increasing issues with short-term memory, and was met with a deer-in-the-headlights expression and an obvious made-up-on-the-spot word salad answer. (That's about the time I started working on my degree.)

Based on my conversations and ones I've overheard, I believe the only two things that would ever remove them from the company is death or bankruptcy.

(12-30-2018, 01:01 PM)allvia Wrote: Now that you're about to be a college graduate I'd recommend that you start looking for and applying for jobs that are of interest to you and see what happens.  You are now able to 'check the box' on opportunities that could have otherwise not been available to you. Being a new grad is a good time to try to transition from your 'paying the bills' day job into something that is of interest to you; plus when they ask you in an interview 'Why are you looking to change jobs/fields/careers now?", you'll have your answer in the I just graduated college and it is time.

At this time I don't think you've maximized your potential opportunities as a college graduate; no reason to jump into a master program just yet - plus, maybe your next employer will foot the bill for the one you do get.

Those are excellent points. The main reason I was considering jumping into a Master's is the flexibility with my workload/pacing at my current job to be able to do a lot of the college work at the office. And I'm already in a really good rhythm/momentum with academic work. I thought "Hey why not knock out a six-month or less master's while I'm still here?" But the possibility of a future employer footing the bill for a master's is a fantastic idea! It really hadn't occurred to me till you mentioned it. That's some excellent input. Thanks!
I'll tell you what's crazy. In the past 3 days, my boss has abruptly signed a deal with a third party broadcasting unit who have their own deal with ESPN 3 to broadcast this trade-related semi-sports competition event we host every year in two weeks. And I'm currently lined up to be the play-by-play TV commentator.  

So just a week ago, I was musing about transitioning into the sports world, and now all the sudden it looks like in short order, I'll have ESPN broadcasting credentials on my resume. Life works in mysterious ways.
[-] The following 2 users Like ReyMysterioso's post:
  • dfrecore, eriehiker
allvia Wrote:At this time I don't think you've maximized your potential opportunities as a college graduate; no reason to jump into a master program just yet - plus, maybe your next employer will foot the bill for the one you do get.

Yes, this is what I would recommend too if you can get your current or next employer to subsidize the cost of your Masters.
Some part time work at that second company may provide you tuition assistance worth $5,000+ a year of reimbursement.

elbebopkid Wrote:I'll tell you what's crazy. In the past 3 days, my boss has abruptly signed a deal with a third party broadcasting unit who have their own deal with ESPN 3 to broadcast this trade-related semi-sports competition event we host every year in two weeks. And I'm currently lined up to be the play-by-play TV commentator.  

So just a week ago, I was musing about transitioning into the sports world, and now all the sudden it looks like in short order, I'll have ESPN broadcasting credentials on my resume. Life works in mysterious ways.

Haha, that is pretty awesome I would say. Life does work in mysterious ways, sometimes opportunities are right around the corner without a need to search for it. I'm dreaming of a high paying p/t job that allows you to telecommute and provides tuition assistance, that's the ultimate goal for me... I think this year I'll search for it!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 701 Yesterday, 11:46 AM
Last Post: MichiganMax
  best MBA/Masters in Finance programs after UMPI? CFPhopeful 7 454 04-07-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Mjake260
  SMC name change to Signum Magnum College - Free MBA?! bjcheung77 6 653 04-03-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: cacoleman1983
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 650 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 365 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,226 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 3,118 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 16,077 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  ENEB MASTERS Accreditation, Questions Sara143 10 1,820 02-20-2024, 02:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 582 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas