Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lot's of experience - which degree?
I started with Park Univeristy for a MIS degree, but am now having second thoughts. My goal is to teach Adult education. I'm trying to figure out the fastest/cheapest way.

I have worked in the computer industry for over 14 years. I have many hardware certifications from IBM,AST, Apple.

I had many classes from EDS - Project management being the one that stands out.

I am an MCSE - NT (I never upgraded)

I have credits from a Community College in Industrial Drafting courses. I also have a few credits in Information Mgmt.

I am a Certified Farrier (horseshoer) and have credits from that Commmunity college program.

Park transferred in 57 credits from the Community Colleges. I am taking an 'intro to computers' class now (how entertaining)

I have my real estate license in New Mexico.

I've passed Freshman Comp (no essay), principles of supervision, principles of management, Organizational Behavior CLEP/DSSTs.

What are your opinions on how I should pursue this? What degree do you think this will all (most) transfer into?

I applied to Excelsior - but it's been 2 months, and they can't seem to find my transcripts. I'm not thrilled about spending the money to have them resent. The colleges assure me they sent them.
CLEP Hound
Retired IT Manager, Working again...
It's my dime, so testing all I can.
Pursuing Park University MIS degree
CLEP - Principles of Mgmt Smile ; Freshman Comp (68)
DSST - Organizational Behavior (61); Principles of Supervision (66); Principles of Finance (71); Statistics (IP)
bzptc0 Wrote:I started with Park Univeristy for a MIS degree, but am now having second thoughts. My goal is to teach Adult education. I'm trying to figure out the fastest/cheapest way.

I have worked in the computer industry for over 14 years. I have many hardware certifications from IBM,AST, Apple.

I had many classes from EDS - Project management being the one that stands out.

I am an MCSE - NT (I never upgraded)

I have credits from a Community College in Industrial Drafting courses. I also have a few credits in Information Mgmt.

I am a Certified Farrier (horseshoer) and have credits from that Commmunity college program.

Park transferred in 57 credits from the Community Colleges. I am taking an 'intro to computers' class now (how entertaining)

I have my real estate license in New Mexico.

I've passed Freshman Comp (no essay), principles of supervision, principles of management, Organizational Behavior CLEP/DSSTs.

What are your opinions on how I should pursue this? What degree do you think this will all (most) transfer into?

I applied to Excelsior - but it's been 2 months, and they can't seem to find my transcripts. I'm not thrilled about spending the money to have them resent. The colleges assure me they sent them.
>>

Can you elaborate about what kind of adult education you intend to teach? Do you mean in industry as a trainer or at a college? I ask because you may already be qualified if you are thinking of a college/park and rec. I teach non-credit adult ed for 2 community colleges and one city park and rec department. I started doing this around 15 years ago and am always on the schedule. The qualification needed is a pulse. (yes, really) The adult ed area is DESPERATE for teachers as long as people will sign up. They can't get teachers because it's a pain in the rear, hardly pays anything, and requires people signing up in order for your class to run. I'd be happy to give you some tips if that is the type of teaching you were thinking about getting into. It's the kind of teaching that you do either to 1) promote yourself/business or 2) because you love to teach 3) saving for a trip to Disney Smile

It's worth pointing out that I couldn't make a living teaching adult ed. It's an "extra money" kind of job. I would estimate I net about $1000- $3000 per year that way, and I am a "very active" adult ed teacher here who always has class offerings in each catalog.
If you are thinking business/industry/corporate training, there are some very good Masters in Adult Ed programs. I looked hard at the Penn State program when I first started thinking about a masters. It's a bit $$ but great name-great school- totally online.
My husband is retiring and we are moving to Mission, TX. We can survive on his retirment income, but I am several years younger, so need to work.

I'd like to teach at the colleges (UTPA and STC). I've tried to email the colleges, but got no reply. We won't be moving until this house sells. I work full time now, and am miles away from any colleges.

I was thinking adult ed would let me make a little money, but still allow us to travel. My husband is a dive instructor and we would like to be flexible enough for him to work the different resorts. (I ,of course, would like to be able to go part of the time)

I also thought a degree would get me more $ per class (it does at UNM). So that is why I am trying to get a degree.

I think you have to have a masters to teach regular college classes, so am not looking at that. My sister has a Doctorate, and teaches college, but has never made a fraction of what all the schooling cost.

Classes I would like to teach - CPR ( I'm an instructor now), Computers - MS programs, email, photoshop, internet, beginning web page development, project management, personal finances and the computer, beginning digital photography, travel planning (some people don't know how to plan trips, what to pack, how to get around, etc). I've taught lots of people over the years.... so can teach just about anything.
CLEP Hound
DSST - Organizational Behavior (61); Principles of Supervision (66); Principles of Finance (71); Statistics (IP)
bzptc0 Wrote:My husband is retiring and we are moving to Mission, TX. We can survive on his retirment income, but I am several years younger, so need to work.

I'd like to teach at the colleges (UTPA and STC). I've tried to email the colleges, but got no reply. We won't be moving until this house sells. I work full time now, and am miles away from any colleges.

I was thinking adult ed would let me make a little money, but still allow us to travel. My husband is a dive instructor and we would like to be flexible enough for him to work the different resorts. (I ,of course, would like to be able to go part of the time)

I also thought a degree would get me more $ per class (it does at UNM). So that is why I am trying to get a degree.

I think you have to have a masters to teach regular college classes, so am not looking at that. My sister has a Doctorate, and teaches college, but has never made a fraction of what all the schooling cost.

Classes I would like to teach - CPR ( I'm an instructor now), Computers - MS programs, email, photoshop, internet, beginning web page development, project management, personal finances and the computer, beginning digital photography, travel planning (some people don't know how to plan trips, what to pack, how to get around, etc). I've taught lots of people over the years.... so can teach just about anything.
>>

Ok, since you are talking about non-credit adult ed, you don't need a degree. Your class ideas are right on target with what I KNOW WORKS here locally. I don't know about your college, but a degree probably isn't how they base the pay scale. All three of my jobs pay differently. That makes me think that there are probably dozens of other "methods," but none of mine would pay more if I had a degree. Here is how my three work:

College A) Submit my class idea aprox 6 months out. Pay is based on number of students enrolled. The college sets the class fee based on the coordinator's idea of tuition. My pay is a portion of each student's tuition. To give you an idea- I do a lot of 1 night cooking classes. These run about 3 hours, and they almost always write these up for $35. I almost always get $22-$25 per person. I have to pay 100% of my own printing, and bring my own food ($). If I spend $100 on food, then I need a minimum of 4 to earn nothing Smile They refuse to let you cancel a class- doing so gets you the ax, so I have run for them into the red more than once. This college has a kitchen facility which is nice.

College B) The only difference is that they pay me hourly regardless of how many sign up. I always get $30 per hour- but they pay me 2 hours prep time and give me an assistant for clean up. This is the least pay of all (I always get $150 and then have to deduct my supplies - $50-$100), but this happens to be the college I work for as a chef-instructor, which means this is a little bit of kissing butt for me, and I do it out of a feeling of deep guilt and obligation LOL. We use a high school home ec room for this college (even lecture based classes)- it's horrible and the home ec teacher is a terror. (I once left a spoon behind- you'd think I was a felon) I also hate that they require me to distribute "evaluations" at every class, and collect money if the person didn't pay ahead of time. This is a pain because I have to make a special trip the next day to go turn all this in.

Park and Rec) This is the most flexible. I get to set my own fee- but as you can imagine, if you are not reasonable with your fee, then no one signs up. I offer around 20 classes per year and end up only running about 10. Time, night of the week, subject matter, if I can get publicity - these are all factors. The only problem is that we have no kitchen, so I have to find one for each of my classes, and it has to be in the city of the park department. My contacts are not really in that city, so I have had a hard time with this. On an up side, they will literally let me teach 100 classes per year if I wanted. Any time, any fee, any subject. I teach adults and children through them (as opposed to adults only through the colleges) which mixes it up a bit.

OK- so here's what you do.
Find the phone number for the Park and Rec departments of the 3 closest cities to where you are moving. Someone is in charge of community ed/adult ed. Talk to them, introduce yourself and tell them your "elevator pitch" selling them your skills and saying a few ideas for classes. If you have ever taught before - tell them right away. You can ask about the subjects, but what I would do is request that they mail you a current catalog- see what is already covered, and come up with something new. If someone is teaching web page development, try something new- like a "Seniors Series" Sending and receiving photos, eBay 101, Getting Started with Email...
Catchy titles and exciting descriptions SELL your class- so this is what you have to do!
In every one of my jobs, it was expected that I would come up with the class and description- they simply say "yes or no."
You can do all this from home via email. They probably go to print 3+ months ahead, so if you wait until you move down there, you'll be sitting on your hands for the next season to come.

For the colleges, it's hard to say. You may have more luck doing that in person. I didn't have to apply for either of mine- but I can assure you that both of my colleges are equally desperate for teachers, and call me EVERY catalog. I never say no- I always do at least 1, it keeps the door open. If you line something up with a park and rec, you can use that information when visiting the adult ed coordinator.

One last thing, try not to work for competing institutions. One of my colleges is in Illinois, the other Iowa- so no competition. Park and rec hits a different crowd. But if you try and work for the competing institutions you may get resistance.
Thanks so much for the excellent advice! I called UTPA - the switchboard didn't even know what continuing education is.. so I guess they don't have a program. I did find a local college that does have a program. I'm waiting for a call back from them. Parks & Rec is good. I'm also going to contact some of the senior parks around ( it's a retirement area).

I really appreciate the advice. Wondering now if I should forget about my degree.
CLEP Hound

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,206 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,861 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,347 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,676 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,872 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,778 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,013 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,965 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,326 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,688 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero