Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lowest Cost Online Masters
Hi Everyone!
As I am nearing the end of my BAAS journey at TAMUC I have been researching Masters degrees. As per my requirements for my undergraduate I need the degree to be as low cost as possible from an accredited school. I am paying for everything out of pocket. My whole goal this entire time was to have a Masters degree as that is what I need to advance in my career.

I am asking here because my undergraduate path changed a few times due to information I found on this forum (for the better).

Right now my path I am thinking is:
MSML at WGU - because my BAAS is in organizational leadership I think I can finish this degree in 1 term. I connected with someone on Reddit who completed my TAMUC degree and went straight to this one and they agreed the content is similar.

Then go for an MBA at UT Perman Basin - this is the lowest cost AACSB accredited MBA I can find and also in my home state.

What I am asking is if anyone knows of any other low cost (under 10k or 15k) Masters I should consider? Any free options?  Big Grin hahah worth a try

I am looking for anything management, business related.

Thank you!!
Currently:
UCA (University of Central Arkansas) Ph.D. Change Leadership for Equity and Inclusion 

Completed:
WGU MSML
TAMUC BAAS Org Leadership
PMP, CSM, CSPO, Google Project Management Certificate
Sophia 19 Classes | Study.com 12 Classes
Wouldn’t an MSML and an MBA have a ton of overlap? Why not just go straight to the MBA? What is the benefit of having both?
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vle045's post:
  • FastTrackDegree
(05-30-2022, 09:44 AM)Vle045 Wrote: Wouldn’t an MSML and an MBA have a ton of overlap?  Why not just go straight to the MBA?   What is the benefit of having both?

Good question!

My reasoning here is that I can for sure get (I imagine) the MSML from WGU in 1 term making if cost effective. And I need a Masters ASAP to advance at work.

For the MBA I am looking for it to be AACSB accredited, which WGU is not. I also want to take my time with the MBA and maybe do it at a school where I would want to be a part of the alumni system. 

Those are my reason.
Currently:
UCA (University of Central Arkansas) Ph.D. Change Leadership for Equity and Inclusion 

Completed:
WGU MSML
If you're going for lowest cost, I don't know why you'd get 2 degrees? I'd just get the MBA and be done with it. Once you have an MBA, the MSML is worthless. Don't plan in a degree that will get outranked by something else immediately (obviously you HAVE to get a bachelor's to get a master's so that has to be planned in).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • FastTrackDegree
(05-30-2022, 09:57 AM)dfrecore Wrote: If you're going for lowest cost, I don't know why you'd get 2 degrees?  I'd just get the MBA and be done with it.  Once you have an MBA, the MSML is worthless.  Don't plan in a degree that will get outranked by something else immediately (obviously you HAVE to get a bachelor's to get a master's so that has to be planned in).

This is a valid point, I need a Masters ASAP for work promotion that is why I was going for the MSML at WGU.
Currently:

Completed:
WGU MSML
(05-30-2022, 09:59 AM)mohelena02 Wrote:
(05-30-2022, 09:57 AM)dfrecore Wrote: If you're going for lowest cost, I don't know why you'd get 2 degrees?  I'd just get the MBA and be done with it.  Once you have an MBA, the MSML is worthless.  Don't plan in a degree that will get outranked by something else immediately (obviously you HAVE to get a bachelor's to get a master's so that has to be planned in).

This is a valid point, I need a Masters ASAP for work promotion that is why I was going for the MSML at WGU.

I still think it's a waste of time and money.  It sets you back from your actual want, an MBA, for at least 6 months - and that's if you finish in a single term.  If something happens and you don't get done in a single term, then you're kind of screwed.  I would seriously just get going on the MBA that you actually want.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
If you want to do WGU and then an AACSB MBA, I say go for it if the WGU degree will be beneficial in the short term. A couple of thoughts:

1. Since you are in Texas, you might look at some of the other campuses in the UT and A&M systems. For in-state students, there are a number that are within $1,500-$2,000 total tuition. Might be worth it, particularly if you aren’t in the Midland Odessa area. Good place to start: https://www.geteducated.com/online-colle...mba-aacsb/

2. If you decide you don’t want to do WGU, you could use the money from WGU to invest in a little bit better “name brand” MBA. North Texas certainly has more of a reputation outside of Texas than the public universities other than the flagship campuses of UT, A&M, and Houston. I would imagine the same thing is true in Texas as well.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
[-] The following 2 users Like freeloader's post:
  • mohelena02, ss20ts
(05-30-2022, 10:02 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-30-2022, 09:59 AM)mohelena02 Wrote:

I still think it's a waste of time and money.  It sets you back from your actual want, an MBA, for at least 6 months - and that's if you finish in a single term.  If something happens and you don't get done in a single term, then you're kind of screwed.  I would seriously just get going on the MBA that you actually want.

Thanks for your input! gives me some food for thought
Currently:

Completed:
WGU MSML
Dfrecore has a point. What if you don’t finish in one term. Now you are up to a year. How long would the MBA take? Could that be done in a year or so? Is the promotion a short term opportunity? Would they consider promoting if you are still enrolled?

I think my impulse would be similar to yours, to be honest. And you definitely seemed to get that Bachelor’s quickly. You now have that Texas A&M brand and alumni network.

I am not sure if there is a cheaper option that can be done quickly. I think you should decide on one and stick with it. I think you want that MBA more.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vle045's post:
  • mohelena02
(05-30-2022, 12:09 PM)Vle045 Wrote: Dfrecore has a point.  What if you don’t finish in one term.  Now you are up to a year.  How long would the MBA take?  Could that be done in a year or so?  Is the promotion a short term opportunity?   Would they consider promoting if you are still enrolled?

I think my impulse would be similar to yours, to be honest.   And you definitely seemed to get that Bachelor’s quickly.   You now have that Texas A&M brand and alumni network.  

I am not sure if there is a cheaper option that can be done quickly.  I think you should decide on one and stick with it.  I think you want that MBA more.

Thanks for your input!!

It is a concern of mine not finishing the WGU MSML in one term, because that would kill my entire plan. However, I do have a good track record (finishing my BAAS in under 1 year starting with 0 credits) and I have researched that degree a lot which gives me confidence.

The Masters degree would automatically give me a raise and open doors for me at my current org. Also, if I needed to look for a job I could get higher paid work if I have a Masters (in my field). My company would not give me a raise for working on the MBA.

I do want the MBA more, but for me with the MBA its important to do at a school like UT or Texas A&M affiliate because the branding association here in Texas is strong. Also, due to the math portion of the MBA I would need to take my time and couldn't breeze through it like the MSML which is mostly papers.

(05-30-2022, 10:19 AM)freeloader Wrote: If you want to do WGU and then an AACSB MBA, I say go for it if the WGU degree will be beneficial in the short term.  A couple of thoughts:

1. Since you are in Texas, you might look at some of the other campuses in the UT and A&M systems. For in-state students, there are a number that are within $1,500-$2,000 total tuition. Might be worth it, particularly if you aren’t in the Midland Odessa area. Good place to start: https://www.geteducated.com/online-colle...mba-aacsb/

2.  If you decide you don’t want to do WGU, you could use the money from WGU to invest in a little bit better “name brand” MBA.  North Texas certainly has more of a reputation outside of Texas than the public universities other than the flagship campuses of UT, A&M, and Houston. I would imagine the same thing is true in Texas as well.

Thank you for the resource you sent! According to that list the two schools I am considering are the cheapest.

In Texas (as far as I know) the 'brand' names really are UT and A&M branch of schools, so I would stick with those. For me personally, it would not be worth it to do another school in Texas even if the ranking was higher.

The only other one I am slightly considering is the BU Online MBA for 24k but that is in 3rd place consideration right now.
Currently:

Completed:
WGU MSML
[-] The following 1 user Likes mohelena02's post:
  • origamishuttle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gardner-Webb University: 10-12 month online MBA? PaperAssistant 7 184 Yesterday, 10:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 702 Yesterday, 11:46 AM
Last Post: MichiganMax
  best MBA/Masters in Finance programs after UMPI? CFPhopeful 7 456 04-07-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Mjake260
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 27 17,630 04-07-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: David1477
  New Zealand Online Degrees doyouhowdo1 1 334 03-31-2024, 10:46 AM
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 602 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Czech 100% online MBA and DBA for 3k/5k David1477 7 495 03-25-2024, 08:34 PM
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 651 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 366 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,226 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda