Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MBA Update
Hi all,

I wanted to say hi to everyone and say that even though I have been almost totally absent on the forum, I do plan to come back soon. Here is an update on post-COSC life

1) Graduated from COSC May 2011
2) Entered MBA program August 2011
3) Got promoted from domestic job to international job April 2012
4) Too busy with new job to enjoy the MBA - have traveled 150k miles since then.. 60k+ this year alone and will hit 100k by summer (Europe, Asia, Africa, S.America!)
5) TOTALLY burned out and counting down the days until I graduate on August 25

Overall, I am SOOOOO glad that I finished up my BS and would recommend the CLEP/DSST route to anyone who has the interest, dedication, and self-discipline to do it. Regarding the MBA, I have mixed feelings. I love the fact that I have more of a "real" school experience and have learned a lot. Not to mention, I have leveraged my program to get the job of my dreams. However, I miss the freedom and fun of CLEP tests. My MBA is useful, but partially very important because it's not a traditional degree, but a specialized Global MBA and also because I have been working in my "spare" time to learn Portuguese, which was essential for my new job and have now also started French.. which I don't have time for, but desperately need.

What have I learned? CLEP/DSST is a GREAT way to go!!! The undergrad is essential, but some of the more important things, other than my work experience, that have helped my career have been post-grad and would have taken a lot longer if I hadn't fast-tracked the BS.

Also, education isn't everything - I have said it before and will say again: network, network, network!!! Be active on LinkedIn, get to know people within your company, find internships, take on extra projects at work that you aren't paid for, experience is essential and education is only part of it. You have to work on both or will never reach your potential. Experience without the degree will generally not get you to where you want to be - people will say "you have so much potential! Too bad you don't have the education you need!" Yet, education without experience will only gain entry-level jobs, so do what you can to have both.

I am looking forward to active participation again on the forums once I graduate in August!
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
Wow! Congrats on the success!

Where are you doing you MBA?
Texas A&M - Commerce - BAAS summer 2023
California Coast University - BSBA 2008

Wow! Sounds like you are really busy! Congratulations!

We have been missing you on the forum, it is nice to see a post from you again.

Good luck on your MBA and job!
[SIZE="1"]BSBA in Accounting at TESC - Done! :hurray:
Started June 2009 with zero credits, now have 133!

CLEP:
English Literature - 67, Chemistry - 60, Microeconomics - 69, Macroeconomics - 77, U.S. History I - 68, U.S. History II - 64, American Government - 64, Humanities - 68, College Algebra - 64, English Composition - 56, Financial Accounting - 80 Smile, Principles of Management - 74, Intro. Business Law - 73, Principles of Marketing - 79, Info. Systems & Computer Applications - 77

DSST:
Introduction to Business - 446, Human/Cultural Geography - 69, Personal Finance - 463, Principles of Supervision - 443, Organizational Behavior - 76, Human Resource Management - 77, Business Ethics and Society - 468, Principles of Finance - 471, Management Information Systems - 447, Money and Banking - 73

TECEP:
Financial Institutions and Markets, Federal Income Taxation, Strategic Management

Straighterline Course:
Business Communication
[/SIZE]
Oh...duh! It's in your signature.
Texas A&M - Commerce - BAAS summer 2023
California Coast University - BSBA 2008

So enjoy hearing from you! You are incredible! Thanks for the update!
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
S, I'm so glad you came back to give a bit of encouragement to everyone here!

First of all, she is being a bit modest about her accomplishments. I don't know if everyone realizes, but this lady is also a mom to many children, and OH BY THE WAY her MBA is taught in Spanish, which is NOT her first language!!! You are a rock star! Truly. I'm super excited about your pending graduation.
I haven't been around long, but I am planning to graduate with a Business concentration at COSC (God willing). Your past posts have been extremely helpful to me. Thanks so much for that and thanks for the update.

God bless!
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
COSC, MBA, family, full time job, and portuguese...a lot of sacrifices on time and livelihood, I'm sure. Are you bionic? Great job!
TESC AA
TESC BA June 2010
Amazing life you're leading. It sounds so exciting. Thank you for all of the information and encouragement you've provided to me and other posters in the past. Thank you also for the update. It's great to see the possibilities.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
cookderosa Wrote:S, I'm so glad you came back to give a bit of encouragement to everyone here!

First of all, she is being a bit modest about her accomplishments. I don't know if everyone realizes, but this lady is also a mom to many children, and OH BY THE WAY her MBA is taught in Spanish, which is NOT her first language!!! You are a rock star! Truly. I'm super excited about your pending graduation.

Awww you are too sweet!!! Thank you Smile I also don't know you do it with the homeschooling, studying, AND being an accomplished author!!!!!
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy Mother's Day! Life is Good! Vanity Update Charles Fout 4 691 10-14-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Covid Update Alpha 24 2,305 02-02-2022, 11:13 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Update! dewisant 3 1,126 01-07-2019, 03:21 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Just a quick update on the Rebel... rebel100 8 1,762 03-01-2018, 09:45 AM
Last Post: rebel100
  update forum software to vbulletin v4.2.1 BrandeX 0 1,608 05-09-2017, 09:02 PM
Last Post: BrandeX
  MBA Update burbuja0512 8 1,438 07-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Last Post: LaterBloomer
  Update on my MBA progress ryoder 13 2,066 10-18-2011, 06:46 PM
Last Post: ryoder
  Progress Update Lydia 8 1,660 08-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Last Post: Cameron16
  Quick update barbara2bba 2 1,287 05-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Last Post: OnMyWay