Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MLA vs APA format for Capstone
I haven't seen this specifically addressed but I'm considering a topic for my capstone that really only fits in an MLA format. It almost borders on a project - or could possibly be considered a project if I tweak it a little. I know the syllabus indicates you can use an MLA format.

Here is my concern: I'm taking the online course and I'm understanding that a lot of the online discussion, the textbook and the professor's instructions are geared more toward an APA style paper. Is this correct? Do the mentors prefer one style over another? Do they give guidance to papers or projects that don't fit the norm (I'm assuming most of the students will be following an APA format). I just don't want to find myself going against the grain for three whole months or being lost on how to organize this paper.

I have one really developed idea that I'm interested in and can see myself staying engaged for the next 12 weeks. I could scrap it. I could try to rework it into an APA style (but I think the main question and supporting questions will be pretty weak). Or I have two or three other APA style topics that I am not really interested in at all but will try to make work. And lastly, I could come up with some new topic ideas over the next week. I'm just wondering if anyone has advice.

I'm 10 days from the start of the class and I guess my nerves are getting the best of me.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
if i remember correctly, MLA can only be used if it's a project. so if you want to tweak it into a project you could go that route... otherwise stick to APA.

unless i remember the syllabus wrong. it's been a while.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
In the syllabus it says:
*Apply all elements of scholarly assignment to a written document, utilizing Standard Academic English and APA or MLA format.

Then in Dr. Haydel's paper which is attached to the syllabus it says "All business, science and social science disciplines must use APA format and style for all paper writing elements, whereas creative, literary and theater arts must use MLA format and style for all paper writing elements."

I have a couple of history papers that were sample capstone papers and they used MLA format even though TESU puts history into the category of social science. My paper falls into a literary category and as of right now my major is officially Liberal Studies without the concentration because I'm waiting for study.com and ACE to approve the last exam I took. Once I get that, I can send over my transcript and wait for TESU to review it, schedule an appointment with an advisor and make the change. I'm guessing that will be mid-way through the semester. So technically, I think I can write on any topic right now.

I am considering getting Topic #1 approved as a project or revising it to fit in an APA format (probably the easiest thing to do)

Going with Topic 2 or 3. I am going to spend some time this week doing research to see how workable those are. Ironically enough, at about midnight I was doing some reading and came up with a topic that is a spin off of Topic 1.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
You can write about any subject even if they officially switch your major. Your mentor is not cross-checking your topic with your area of study.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I'm just wrapping up my Capstone with Dr. Andrew Tomko. My topic was related to King James I and it was MLA. As you pointed out the topic that you choose will play a major role in determining the format of your paper.

I would also strongly suggest looking up professors at Rate My Professors - Review Teachers and Professors, School Reviews, College Campus Ratings in order to determine the professor that will match your goals best. I used the feedback from there in addition to feedback on various professors in this forum to choose Dr. Tomko and I'm very glad that I did!

You may also find it helpful to do some preliminary researching for background information for your topic and to grab copies of sample papers from others who have taken the professor you select. I found that this was also very helpful in narrowing my topics and helping me to accidentally discover new ones! Hope that helps.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,022 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Capstone Anxiety Iamtehking 9 4,206 09-18-2018, 06:22 AM
Last Post: rlw74
  BUS-421 - Capstone - Final Project Submitted! Gloddy 16 4,679 08-05-2018, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Gloddy
  TESU LIB-495 Capstone Ideas JanuarySunshine 1 1,655 07-21-2018, 11:42 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Enrolled in the Business Capstone course for the July Term. Anybody else? camjenks 25 4,902 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: keokat
  Capstone TESU d.cononge 16 4,772 06-27-2018, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JayUsher
  Two More UL Courses and Capstone MrBossmanJr 17 3,494 06-27-2018, 08:13 AM
Last Post: MrBossmanJr
  URGENT HELP NEEDED! Survey on Online Digital Learning due by 23 June for Capstone! Nightmoves5 6 1,779 06-21-2018, 06:49 PM
Last Post: fork
  TESU Liberal Arts Capstone omuneek 8 2,597 06-20-2018, 10:41 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Just finished my Lib Arts Capstone at TESU jsh1138 32 6,120 06-13-2018, 08:36 AM
Last Post: jsh1138