Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MNOMADIC WGU BSIT Thread
I transferred 57/121 and finished 3 classes last week. We have 9 classes in common, I'm definitely not following your speed but following this thread for shits and giggles. I'm currently working on C851
[-] The following 1 user Likes Izzydor21's post:
  • MNomadic
(02-08-2021, 01:57 PM)Izzydor21 Wrote: I transferred 57/121 and finished 3 classes last week. We have 9 classes in common, I'm definitely not following your speed but following this thread for shits and giggles. I'm currently working on C851

Awesome! Let me know how that course goes for you. I'll be starting it later this week.

DAYS 5-7
I took these days completely off for personal reasons plus decided to rest since I'm ahead. I think I'll still be able to complete my whole degree in 1 term even if I don't do an "all out sprint."

DAY 8
Just finished Critical Thinking and logic. I'm at 5 classes or 16 CUs in just over a week. I'm taking the next couple days off to focus on finishing some work projects and then plan to finish off Information Systems Management later this week and start the Linux course.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 2 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • AwardTour, quigongene
I am going to enroll for master from WGU. I want to know how you prepare for OA? You also complete couple courses in weeks. I am coming from the brick and mortar. I do not know how to prepare the OA exam.

Sent from my phone using DegreeForum.net mobile app
NEXT: Considering DBA, DIT or PhD
In Progress: MSU MBA

Completed: WGU MS-CIA & Ms University Isabel I, ENEB
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 (4), Cybersecurity 201 (3), Cybersecurity 301 (3)
Sophia: Accounting (3), Project Management (3) Principles of Finance (3) 
Coursera: Google IT Certification, and Google Project Management.

(02-10-2021, 10:52 PM)Imbanewbie Wrote: I am going to enroll for master from WGU. I want to know how you prepare for OA? You also complete couple courses in weeks. I am coming from the brick and mortar. I do not know how to prepare the OA exam.

How I've prepared so far; take the Preassessment, if I do well, go over preassment report to improve upon week areas(using course material or Google/youtube). I also pay attention to other people's posts about certain classes on reddit or other social media to get tips/tricks. If I don't do well on the Preassessment, then I'll still use the report to find where I'm lacking and also use the course material more(still following tips from other people). Before WGU, I did lots of prep for other tests(CLEPs, certification exams, other alt credits) so I kinda just follow a system of prep that works for me. Different classes will be different, though and require you to tweak your strategy.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • Imbanewbie
(02-11-2021, 12:46 AM)MNomadic Wrote:
(02-10-2021, 10:52 PM)Imbanewbie Wrote: I am going to enroll for master from WGU. I want to know how you prepare for OA? You also complete couple courses in weeks. I am coming from the brick and mortar. I do not know how to prepare the OA exam.

How I've prepared so far; take the Preassessment, if I do well, go over preassment report to improve upon week areas(using course material or Google/youtube). I also pay attention to other people's posts about certain classes on reddit or other social media to get tips/tricks. If I don't do well on the Preassessment, then I'll still use the report to find where I'm lacking and also use the course material more(still following tips from other people). Before WGU, I did lots of prep for other tests(CLEPs, certification exams, other alt credits) so I kinda just follow a system of prep that works for me. Different classes will be different, though and require you to tweak your strategy.

Thank you MNomadic, I appreciate providing me helpful tips. I am not good to search online. what key words you will put to look to study lacking area?

(02-11-2021, 03:07 PM)Imbanewbie Wrote: Thank you MNomadic, I appreciate providing me helpful tips. I am not good to search online. what key words you will put to look to study lacking area?

It's going to vary wildly. You can start by searching your course number, but I'm not going to be able to tell you what key words to search for what areas you need to study for classes I'm not even taking. Good luck.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
CSM(3cr)
  • Imbanewbie
Thank you, it is good tip by searching the course number.

For a graduate degree at WGU you would not have to deal with that many OAs.

My understanding is that most if not all Masters Degree programs at WGU now have 3 to 4 OAs max. I can't say for certain the exact amount for their MBA programs but the MS in Information Technology and the MS in Data Analytics both have 3 OAs. The MS in Data Analytics had like 6 or 7 OAs last year before the program changed.  

The majority of your time would be spent on projects/writing papers.

(02-09-2021, 12:33 AM)MNomadic Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 01:57 PM)Izzydor21 Wrote: I transferred 57/121 and finished 3 classes last week. We have 9 classes in common, I'm definitely not following your speed but following this thread for shits and giggles. I'm currently working on C851

Awesome! Let me know how that course goes for you. I'll be starting it later this week.

DAYS 5-7
I took these days completely off for personal reasons plus decided to rest since I'm ahead. I think I'll still be able to complete my whole degree in 1 term even if I don't do an "all out sprint."

DAY 8
Just finished Critical Thinking and logic. I'm at 5 classes or 16 CUs in just over a week. I'm taking the next couple days off to focus on finishing some work projects and then plan to finish off Information Systems Management later this week and start the Linux course.

MNomadic, you are truly a WGU Accelerator. I was in the WGU Accelerators Facebook group. I maybe saw one or two other people on your level in-terms of speed, that is it.  I was no where near your level of speed. I was able to "accelerate" when doing Study.com courses. I was knocking them out fairly quickly. But, I found the WGU courses to be more difficult and decided to slow down. However, I did get Blue Bars/Exemplary on a number of courses at WGU. I would trade that for the speed!

If I could work as fast as you I think I could be confident enough to knock out a Masters Degree in a single term at WGU. I have no doubt you could do any graduate program at WGU in a single term.
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes AwardTour's post:
  • MNomadic

Quick background: I have only been working in a mid-level manager position (in a government agency) for about 4 years now. It's given me some experience, but I would by no means call myself an "expert."

I am just the capstone shy of completing the MSML and there were only 3 OAs.

How I prepared:

I took the pre-assessments as soon as I opened the courses. I know some people caution against that, but I liked to see what I could expect and where I stood. I passed all three. 

I skimmed the materials for one course's OA because I passed the PreA very easily. I studied using Quizlet. (Word of caution, sometimes people put the wrong answers/info in their Quizlet cards.) I only devoted 3 days to that course.

For another, I read/completed the modules over the course of about a week and also used Quizlet again. 

The last OA I took was the one I knew I needed to study the most for. I passed the PreA, but just barely. I completed all the modules, studied a lot of terms on Quizlet, and made myself some handwritten flashcards that I studied for 5 days before taking the test, spending about 12 days total on that course.

I did pass all three OAs on the first try.
DAYS 9-13

I really could have done the information systems management course during this time but I was under the weather after getting a vaccine and I let myself get psyched out by some staff and student reviews claiming this class was super hard and not aligned with the Pre-assessment that I'd already passed on the first try. It was recommended that I go through the quizzes and unit tests in the material which I did poorly on. However, the quizzes/tests in the material were very low quality, often times being factually wrong or intentionally tricky. I found multiple questions worded like: "True or False, the chicken came before the egg?" 

DAY 14

Anyway I went ahead and took it and passed just fine. Every single topic in this course was touched on by my other IT, Networking, Security, Ethics, Database, Management/PM and other courses, so having the experience made it easy. Honestly, this course is meant to be a survey course for the business school yet they added it in as a filler course for my IT degree which is somewhat disappointing. I would have preferred that they added a more advanced programming course or something of the like. With all that said, I feel bad for the business majors or anyone else who takes this course without preexisting knowledge since the subjects they cover is VAST and somewhat technical yet the material is just not good. 

DAY 15

This is where I slow down because I just started another program with SANS/GIAC to get some cyber security certifications. I know the timing is bad but it's a highly competitive program paid for by a scholarship worth more than my entire degree at WGU. I actually didn't know I was admitted until a few days before I started at WGU and it was too late to delay anything anyway. Haha wish me luck because I'm about to hate my life for the next 6 months of accelerating through 2 programs.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
CSM(3cr)
  • ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WGU Master's in Elementary Education - Progress Thread nykorn 1 362 03-22-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  BSIT TO MSITM Program - Should I take required Certs before enrolling in degree? Brandon.Thomas.Downer 2 434 11-16-2023, 03:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Which certs do you need to complete the BSIT? IceSparkle 11 1,650 04-14-2023, 03:59 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Documenting My Journey: WGU BSIT-Security Thorne 79 21,963 01-24-2018, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Thorne
  WGU BSIT Clep centurionpizza 1 1,120 06-08-2014, 12:03 AM
Last Post: sanantone