Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MS Psych vs. MS I/O Psych job prospects
I'm considering Walden's Tempo Learning in MS in Psych or MS in I/O Psych. My question is does a Master's degree in a more specialized area (I/O Psych) limit my potential job options? For example: Would a master's in Psych allow me to teach any CC college Psych class and a Master's in I/O Psych only allow me to teach I/O Psych?
What would be the other job opportunity differences for both degrees? I don't want to work in corporate jobs. I'd prefer teaching or local/county government jobs.
Myself: Pierpont BOG (May 2018), TESU BALS-SS (June 2019)
CC: 34cr 1979-95 SL: 9cr Shmoop: 6cr SC: 48cr Sophia: 5cr OD: 12cr TEEX: 3cr Ed4Credit: 6cr TESU: 7cr

My son: Currently pursuing Harvard Extension MLA Digital Media Design 28 Cr completed
TESU ASNSM in CS (June 2018), TESU BA Learner-Designed-Software Dev/Web Design Heart & Cert CIS (March 2019)
CSU Global: 9cr Hodges: 24cr SL: 15cr SC: 51cr TEEX: 4cr Sophia: 8cr CLEP: 3cr ED4Credit: 6cr TESU: 6cr Alex:3cr
Then you should get the Psych. Why specialize, especially in an area that you're not interested in?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I actually took a course in I/O Psych and found it extremely interesting. That's why I was asking about the differences in job opportunities between the two degrees. I'm older and not really going to be looking for full-time private corporate work again (I think), but I was wondering if the I/O degree would be limiting my options for CC teaching or other things.
Myself: Pierpont BOG (May 2018), TESU BALS-SS (June 2019)
CC: 34cr 1979-95 SL: 9cr Shmoop: 6cr SC: 48cr Sophia: 5cr OD: 12cr TEEX: 3cr Ed4Credit: 6cr TESU: 7cr

My son: Currently pursuing Harvard Extension MLA Digital Media Design 28 Cr completed
TESU ASNSM in CS (June 2018), TESU BA Learner-Designed-Software Dev/Web Design Heart & Cert CIS (March 2019)
CSU Global: 9cr Hodges: 24cr SL: 15cr SC: 51cr TEEX: 4cr Sophia: 8cr CLEP: 3cr ED4Credit: 6cr TESU: 6cr Alex:3cr
(02-07-2020, 08:48 PM)mudball Wrote: I actually took a course in I/O Psych and found it extremely interesting. That's why I was asking about the differences in job opportunities between the two degrees. I'm older and not really going to be looking for full-time private corporate work again (I think), but I was wondering if the I/O degree would be limiting my options for CC teaching or other things.

How are the classes at Walden are do they require a lot of writing or how much per credit.
The program is not per credit, it's per term for these competency based degree programs. Essentially, all you can take classes per term, the faster you finish, the cheaper. Depending on your program, you should view the Walden Tempo webpages for each term fee, it ranges and is roughly $2300-$2600 every 3 months, look for their 50% off special before you sign up and enroll...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
They will drag it out for more than one term. Believe me !!!!
(04-28-2020, 09:55 AM)xspect Wrote: They will drag it out for more than one term. Believe me !!!!

Does that mean you weren't able to do your degree in one term? 

Despite transferring in 15 credits, finishing other competency degrees in one term and writing papers at the speed of light. If you can't do it one term, then I highly doubt anyone else on this forum can do it one term.
(04-28-2020, 11:15 AM)natshar Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 09:55 AM)xspect Wrote: They will drag it out for more than one term. Believe me !!!!

Despite transferring in 15 credits, finishing other competency degrees in one term and writing papers at the speed of light. If you can't do it one term, then I highly doubt anyone else on this forum can do it one term.

The amount of work isn't the issue. Its the tempo system as a whole. Lots of dead links, lots of rush together lesson plans, if you have a maniac instructor that you don't click with, you can't just drop the class and pick up later with another instructor. I've already completed my capstone but one crazy instructor in one of the basic core classes is holding me, hostage. I write strictly to the rubric. He keeps adding extra stuff. I'm on my 8th revision of a 4-page opinion paper. WTF ??? That's all I have left to graduate.
(04-28-2020, 12:30 PM)xspect Wrote: The amount of work isn't the issue. Its the tempo system as a whole. Lots of dead links, lots of rush together lesson plans, if you have a maniac instructor that you don't click with, you can't just drop the class and pick up later with another instructor. I've already completed my capstone but one crazy instructor in one of the basic core classes is holding me, hostage. I write strictly to the rubric. He keeps adding extra stuff. I'm on my 8th revision of a 4-page opinion paper. WTF ??? That's all I have left to graduate.

That is a true test after all.

Thank you for sharing that experience, very important to know.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lacussucceed's post:
  • tifferbugz
(04-28-2020, 12:30 PM)xspect Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 11:15 AM)natshar Wrote:

The amount of work isn't the issue. Its the tempo system as a whole. Lots of dead links, lots of rush together lesson plans, if you have a maniac instructor that you don't click with, you can't just drop the class and pick up later with another instructor. I've already completed my capstone but one crazy instructor in one of the basic core classes is holding me, hostage. I write strictly to the rubric. He keeps adding extra stuff. I'm on my 8th revision of a 4-page opinion paper. WTF ??? That's all I have left to graduate.

Could you finish? how was everything?
Could you tell your experience with them? and if you recommend the tempo system.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Psych Masters from VIU, WES Canada eligible? Earind_00 6 1,331 01-31-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: muca3
  Psych Master Degree TINASAM 9 1,330 03-06-2023, 10:23 AM
Last Post: eLearner
  Cheapest Masters in Psych? jsd 7 1,260 01-04-2023, 09:43 PM
Last Post: jsd
  UoPhoenix Competency-Based Masters in Psych cokididwa 9 1,246 09-03-2022, 11:56 AM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Is there a path from the Walden Tempo General Psych masters to a licensable degree? studyingfortests 24 3,368 08-23-2021, 01:47 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Walden U - MS Psych Learning Tempo Journey warriortaupou 3 1,065 10-07-2020, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Unity
  Walden Tempo MS General Psych - how is it? suzycupcake 27 3,540 09-24-2020, 10:45 PM
Last Post: warriortaupou
  Degree/Cert/Diploma in helping/psych fields? Ideas 10 2,562 05-07-2017, 02:47 PM
Last Post: Ideas