Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting courses not listed on partners.wgu approved/appealed--any success stories?
Asked this over on Reddit without any responses, so maybe someone here has done something like this...

So I'm currently in the process of collecting credits before enrolling in the BSCSIA program. I think I might like to take Study.com's Introduction to Python course for credit toward C173 (instead of the Java or C++ courses listed on partners.wgu). The Python course is described on the ACE site as an "Introduction to Programming" course, just as the others are, so it seems logical that WGU should take it, although it's not listed.

Anyone had any luck with anything like this?
Current: WGU BS, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance (082/122 credits)
Done: Pierpont AAS, Board of Governors: Information Systems emphasis (awarded Dec 2022)
study.com's python transfers in as
Introduction to Programming in Python
C859

so they probably aren't going to accept it for anything else
(06-06-2022, 11:18 PM)raekwon Wrote: So I'm currently in the process of collecting credits before enrolling in the BSCSIA program. I think I might like to take Study.com's Introduction to Python course for credit toward C173 (instead of the Java or C++ courses listed on partners.wgu).

First, C173 is very easy. If you have any knowledge of coding and SDLC, then you should be able to take the OA (final exam) and pass the course on Day 1. You can access the course here:
https://www.edx.org/microbachelors/wgux-...technology

Second, if you're going for BSCSIA, you should sign up for the unofficial WGU discord: https://discord.com/invite/unwgu There is a degree plan spreadsheet pinned to the channel for cyber, along with an active community to help you with questions.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like origamishuttle's post:
  • MNomadic, Vle045
(06-07-2022, 07:20 AM)origamishuttle Wrote:
(06-06-2022, 11:18 PM)raekwon Wrote: So I'm currently in the process of collecting credits before enrolling in the BSCSIA program. I think I might like to take Study.com's Introduction to Python course for credit toward C173 (instead of the Java or C++ courses listed on partners.wgu).

First, C173 is very easy. If you have any knowledge of coding and SDLC, then you should be able to take the OA (final exam) and pass the course on Day 1. You can access the course here:
https://www.edx.org/microbachelors/wgux-...technology

Second, if you're going for BSCSIA, you should sign up for the unofficial WGU discord: https://discord.com/invite/unwgu There is a degree plan spreadsheet pinned to the channel for cyber, along with an active community to help you with questions.

Okay, cool. It's not for the sake of ease that I was asking about this. It's just the fact that I'm interested in taking a Python course (which is not required for BSCSIA), so I thought that maybe I could kill two birds with one stone. If it's thought that the Python course won't work, though, I probably won't mess with the Study.com courses and instead I'll just take C173 through WGU.

(I actually did try to access the course through edX, but I should've done so when I had more time to actually go through it. My access is expired now. But... if I recall correctly, I was only able to access a very small portion of the actual material.)

re: Discord--I'll check it out. I've got a degree plan spreadsheet that I threw together for myself that I'm constantly updating, but it'd be interesting to see what's in the Discord and what other people are doing. Thanks!
Current: WGU BS, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance (082/122 credits)
Done: Pierpont AAS, Board of Governors: Information Systems emphasis (awarded Dec 2022)
(06-07-2022, 10:21 AM)raekwon Wrote: Okay, cool. It's not for the sake of ease that I was asking about this. It's just the fact that I'm interested in taking a Python course (which is not required for BSCSIA), so I thought that maybe I could kill two birds with one stone. If it's thought that the Python course won't work, though, I probably won't mess with the Study.com courses and instead I'll just take C173 through WGU.

(I actually did try to access the course through edX, but I should've done so when I had more time to actually go through it. My access is expired now. But... if I recall correctly, I was only able to access a very small portion of the actual material.)

CS113 on Study.com is ok, but doesn't provide much hands-on time. Its main purpose is to avoid C859 at WGU (for degrees that include it), which is a beast.
To actually learn Python, WGU students are using CodeAcademy:
https://www.codecademy.com/learn/learn-python-3
You can pick up a lot during the one-week free trial.

Once you start at WGU, there is access to Udemy Business, which has lots of resources: https://wgu.udemy.com/

For edX, you should be able to sign up with another email using incognito browser to avoid any cookies. You should have full access to the WGU courses for 30 days if you choose the free option.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like origamishuttle's post:
  • MNomadic, raekwon
if you want to learn python this course started last week
https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-...position=1

MIT's Introduction to Computer Science and Programming Using Python
it is not an easy course

a much easier course, but still not a beginners course is
Harvard's CS50's Introduction to Programming with Python
https://www.edx.org/course/cs50s-introdu...position=1

the harvard course can be done for free
[-] The following 1 user Likes bluebooger's post:
  • MNomadic

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question regarding transfer credit courses jobojoe285 6 133 Yesterday, 12:35 AM
Last Post: jobojoe285
  Tips for success at WGU (to finish in a single term) Merlin 2 5,209 01-19-2024, 02:00 AM
Last Post: nykorn
  Where can you take courses from study.com that are not longer accepted for CS major? whiverem 11 1,286 06-13-2023, 09:40 PM
Last Post: whiverem
  WGU Remaining Courses Indy73 6 1,302 11-13-2022, 11:14 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  WGU Partners with McDonald’s and Amazon jsd 4 1,950 03-03-2022, 04:13 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Are WGU courses easier/faster than SL/SDC? AW84 11 6,995 02-27-2022, 01:33 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Information List of Courses That Transfer from Sophia.org to WGU BitWiseGuy 20 19,975 11-26-2021, 10:55 AM
Last Post: origamishuttle
Information National Society for Leadership and Success MNomadic 8 3,495 10-30-2021, 12:25 AM
Last Post: Toastmaster
  WGU partners with NIC Alpha 0 872 01-18-2021, 03:48 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Taking courses at WGU not part of my degree program? And credit by examination sciencemathematics1 19 7,341 08-26-2020, 06:59 AM
Last Post: sciencemathematics1