Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Map to a Psy degree from Excelsior
I will have around 80 credits going in and need help making sure I have the right test and the easiest ones.

statistics- DSST
Social Psy - ECE
Research Methods - ECE
Abnormal psy - ECE
Educational psy - CLEP
Fundamentals of Coun. - DSST
Substance abuse - DSST

What am I missing and is there an altertive to the Abnormal Psy from ECE because its 300 dollars. Thanks.
The TECEP test for Abnormal Psych is only $100.

CoachP1985 Wrote:I will have around 80 credits going in and need help making sure I have the right test and the easiest ones.

statistics- DSST
Social Psy - ECE
Research Methods - ECE
Abnormal psy - ECE
Educational psy - CLEP
Fundamentals of Coun. - DSST
Substance abuse - DSST

What am I missing and is there an altertive to the Abnormal Psy from ECE because its 300 dollars. Thanks.
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

Thanks for the reply
Error: need cookies

According to the pasted link at Exclesior, Abnormal Psych is $305. I would pay the extra in order to have it show on your transcript as an Excelsior course credit. Their ECE's look like courses on their transcripts, which was very useful to me in applying to grad school. The more ECE's you take, the better your transcript looks due to the way the ECE's and Excelsior coursework are grouped together. In addition, the resources for test prep at Excelsior are time savers.

You will have to take a Bio-Psychology course and a History of Psych course along with the Capstone to complete the Psych degree. Please go to the Excelsior website through the link posted above and find the Liberal Arts Catalog which lists the degree requirements for each liberal arts degree. Psychology has 5 content areas you will need to fulfill, if my memory serves me. You will also need a development through the lifespan course that may or may not be covered by the Human Growth and Development CLEP. There is a Lifespan Psych ECE which costs $305. The other ECE you might consider is Psych of Adulthood and Aging, which is $95.

Please read the Excelsior Liberal Arts Catalog very carefully as you plan your degree. It is time well spent. Make sure you have each content area clearly covered or planned before you register. You will also need 1 Information Literacy credit if you don't have one already.

Lack of thorough planning caused me to shift my BA in Psychology degree to a BS in Liberal Studies with Psychology and History focus areas at Excelsior due to not wanting to pay for the Bio-Psychology course.

Best of luck with your degree plan. ECE's are a great option and you can knock them out at a pace of one per week or two if you have the time.
I took a development psy class from the CC I graduated from, will that count.
Was it Lifespan? If it was childhood and adolescence you could combine with a Psychology of Adulthood and Aging.
yes it was, is the biopsych class hard or you just didn't want to pay for it and is there any way around the other two classes
There is not credit by exam for the bio-psych or history of psych requirements and I was not willing to pay $390 per credit to take them at Excelsior. If there was a way around them, I didn't find it. As I said, I changed my degree to BSLS due to the cost factor. You might consider the BSLS as it is one of the least restrictive of degrees at Excelsior, requiring only the Capstone to be taken through the college proper.
I don't know how much cheaper it would be, but one can completely test out of a psychology degree at TESC with the exception of the capstone. You would pay around $3700 in tuition and fees and the rest of the costs would come from CBEs. COSC has a concentration (equivalent to major) in psychology that looks like it might be easier to test out of than the Excelsior degree with the exception of the capstone and cornerstone. I would consider all options before switching to liberal studies/arts.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I really dont want to switch to a BALS but TESC enrollment fee is much higher to start.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,226 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,872 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,360 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,681 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,894 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,784 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,030 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,971 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,337 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,695 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero