Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marketing jobs??!!
I'm only sixteen years of age, but that doesn't mean I can start looking way ahead into my future. My plan for the future consists of getting my Bachelors' (BSBA in Marketing) by the time I turn 18. The I want to serve in the Air Force for 4 years and go into Grad school at the same time as other people my age.

My dream job is to become a graphic designer, making logos, magazine cover, and cool digital art posters. The only problem is that there is little need for them right now, as only huge companies (i.e. Apple, Nike, Windows) can afford someone to do jobs like that.

Seeing that it would be very hard to get to that level coming out of Grad school at the age of 26, would any body have any suggestions for on how to get to my dream job either in a large company or in a secure job that I could work for for the rest of my career. Please let me know.
alexclep Wrote:a secure job that I could work for for the rest of my career.
The good news: I think it's commendable that you're starting to work your plan early. Keep it up!

The bad news: The days of that kind of job security are pretty well over, or so people tell me. Years ago, many people did just that - worked for one company from graduation till retirement. That's gone in many - if not most - work areas. If it's security you want, maybe you should look at spending your career in the Air Force instead of four years. Only if you find you like it, of course! A well-paid retirement at a relatively young age could follow and you could do what you want - it wouldn't matter if you didn't get paid - or paid very much - for a while.

The only other professional occupations I can think of that offer a high chance of job-security are: actuary, physician, dentist. Possibly accounting, if you become well-qualified. Definitely not law, unless you have connections and graduate from an absolutely top school at the head of your class. Architecture - I really have no idea. Maybe it's worth exploring. Funeral directors seem to do well... not much chance of layoffs there.

I.T. is good if you get into the upper ranks - but there are a lot of people trying. It's a challenging environment - you pretty well re-learn your whole craft every couple of years, as things change. Wait a minute! Maybe you'd like that - you seem like a person who'd enjoy continuous learning! Smile I can't truthfully say much for security, though. A lot of movement, trend changes, some business failures, etc. "Be Apple/Google/Microsoft/Cisco or Die." Sad

In other fields - I don't think we'll ever have a real job-shortage in many trades. Plumbing, electrical, carpentry etc. They pay surprisingly well - partly because over the years, we've dissuaded too many young people from taking training for these jobs - thereby creating a shortage of skilled workers. I'm not saying these jobs are definitely for you, alexclep, -- but they do offer better-than-average pay and considerably better-than-average likelihood of continuing work.

A secure job where you can work for the rest of your career? That's what a lot of people are looking for. In my day (I'm 71) it was not that hard to find. Nowadays - not so easy, sadly. Unless you own the business...

Johann
Thanks for the advice and feedback. I still have a bit of time remaining before I need to make these crucial decisions. I will take what you gave me and see if it will help me in the near future hear. Thanks so much!

Alex
A lot of people do still hire graphic designers, your real problem will be that you will need a design related degree to get a job, and many graphic designers are seriously underpaid. Look into local tech school that have partnered with your high school though, or take some design classes with a local community college now for credits. If you graduate with a great portfolio even as a very young person, companies will be even more likely to hire you.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  IT worker keeps 2 jobs for income security indigoshuffle 1 481 02-10-2024, 08:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Best & Worst jobs - I wonder... bjcheung77 2 616 01-28-2022, 06:35 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Facebook Remote Jobs Dorothy44 0 686 06-13-2021, 05:24 PM
Last Post: Dorothy44
  650,000 jobs Alpha 20 2,319 03-21-2021, 10:18 AM
  Who's applying for jobs? Amazon's hiring! bjcheung77 8 1,656 12-28-2020, 08:38 PM
Last Post: StoicJ
  FREE Udemy - VIP Digital Marketing Master Course bjcheung77 2 1,624 12-18-2019, 05:47 PM
Last Post: alab21
  The Fastest Growing Jobs in America Don't Require a College Degree sanantone 0 1,127 09-08-2019, 08:38 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Overpaid Jobs natshar 21 4,090 01-06-2019, 01:24 AM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  Full-Time Work from home jobs? acamp 16 3,388 12-19-2018, 01:26 AM
  Need advice about jobs - HELP! burbuja0512 21 3,640 09-29-2018, 05:01 PM
Last Post: lmckown