Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Master of Professional Studies
What's the current thinking/trends on the value/prestige/credibility of an MPS? As compared to MBA/MPA/MS/MA?

My present prospect is the MPS from Missouri State University - it can be had for less than $ 10K, and comes from a RA, B & M state school.
BA, Liberal Studies - Charter Oak State College, 2018
AAS, Police Administration - Nashville State Community College, 2016
AAS, Board of Governors, West Virginia University at Parkersburg, 2015

(09-15-2019, 09:32 PM)boalex207 Wrote: What's the current thinking/trends on the value/prestige/credibility of an MPS? As compared to MBA/MPA/MS/MA?

My present prospect is the MPS from Missouri State University - it can be had for less than $ 10K, and comes from a RA, B & M state school.

IMO, if you have to explain what the degree is, you're behind the 8 ball.
(09-16-2019, 06:08 AM)cookderosa Wrote:
(09-15-2019, 09:32 PM)boalex207 Wrote: What's the current thinking/trends on the value/prestige/credibility of an MPS? As compared to MBA/MPA/MS/MA?

I agree. It would help to know, though, if the MPS has a concentration that will be marketable. Regardless, one can find an MBA or MS for less than $10k. I know that the MBA is a generalist program that is losing value, but MPS and Master of Liberal Studies programs are even less focused.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(09-16-2019, 07:18 AM)sanantone Wrote:

I agree. It would help to know, though, if the MPS has a concentration that will be marketable. Regardless, one can find an MBA or MS for less than $10k. I know that the MBA is a generalist program that is losing value, but MPS and Master of Liberal Studies programs are even less focused.
The MBA losing value is a subjective discussion. Just getting an MBA does not automatically mean success just like not getting one does not automatically mean failure. Work ethic, drive and ability to network all play a role in ones success. Personally, the MBA did wonders for my career as it took me to Assistant Vice President in a bank before I even completed the degree.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
(09-16-2019, 08:11 AM)ThatBankDude Wrote:
(09-16-2019, 07:18 AM)sanantone Wrote:

The MBA losing value is a subjective discussion. Just getting an MBA does not automatically mean success just like not getting one does not automatically mean failure. Work ethic, drive and ability to network all play a role in ones success. Personally, the MBA did wonders for my career as it took me to Assistant Vice President in a bank before I even completed the degree.

That can be said about any degree, but the truth is that some degrees have more utility than others, and supply and demand affects how much competition one will face.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Depends a bit on the MBA concentration.

Of course everything is subjective to a point.

The MPS, in my opinion, would be a good master's if you work in a career-tech field that doesn't really have master's degrees but you need one. That assumes, that the MPS would add some kind of educational value, not just resume bling, but it's getting harder and harder to differentiate from the crowd- If I were guessing, I don't think it's a career-maker- but it could remove a wall that is standing in your way.
What are you trying to do with the degree? I think if you're getting it to try and increase your marketablility and job prospects, you should probably look at getting a degree in that specific subject. If you're going to use it as personal growth or just to check the box to get a raise at work, go for it. 

I took a quick look at the school's website. Look like their concentrations are all areas that are relatively common and you can find many other similarly priced online masters in those fields that are MAs, MSs, and MBAs. They're 33 credits and only 12 of those credits are in the specialization. Getting a MPS degree in Sports Management for example probably won't look as well as an MS in Sports Management. Main reason for me is that the MPS only has 4 classes that cover Sports Management while the MS will probably have around 10. This is true for all the subjects.

This is why I shied away from a Master of Legal Studies, which was my original program of interest.
The degree name didn't appeal to me.
I also thought I'd get a lot of "So, you're a lawyer?" and/or "Why didn't you just go to law school?"
BA, Liberal Studies - Charter Oak State College, 2018
AAS, Police Administration - Nashville State Community College, 2016
AAS, Board of Governors, West Virginia University at Parkersburg, 2015

Do you have a job? Do you sometimes have to learn new skills or do some research to accomplish some goal at your job? Congratulations! You are ALREADY a master of professional studies!
Joking aside, the MPS probably has its uses. Primarily probably as a box-check degree to get a raise or promotion at a company that requires an advanced degree as a glass ceiling. If you're looking at job markets or career changes, it probably won't do much for your resume.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 244 4 hours ago
Last Post: armado
  ENEB Master Thread MrsBulletPoints 2,663 514,551 8 hours ago
Last Post: eLearner
  Recognition of Execute Master Lorvey 10 482 03-19-2024, 02:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Master of Public Administration BSBRose21 9 1,512 03-18-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Leedeedee
  Cheapest/Easiest Master's? Hellenic, WGU, UMPi? mohelena02 19 1,614 03-18-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  South College Developing CBE Master's in Criminal Justice Jonathan Whatley 2 199 03-18-2024, 03:29 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 546 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  ENEB MBA/Master + OTHM level 8 Postgraduate | Combination Evaluation ecdw94 4 711 02-28-2024, 11:05 PM
Last Post: lincolnlawyer
  Master's in Security Management CBE Online Jeff7 8 491 02-27-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Master’s (Titulo Propio) from Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona? lincolnlawyer 40 2,445 02-27-2024, 02:04 AM
Last Post: lincolnlawyer