Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Masters after TESU BA in Computer Science
Hi there everyone, 

It has been a while since I haven't been active on the forum. I have been working towards finishing my BA in Computer Science. I wanted to ask fellow members about the chance of being admitted to a reputable computer science master's degree after the BA. Also, can you recommend some Master's programs to which I can get admission after graduating from TESU?

Thank you.
Your best bet, if you want to go to a "reputable" school for a master's degree in anything - find out what they want, and then make sure you give that to them. So, if you look at 5 schools, and all of them want a 3.5 GPA, you're going to need sure you have a 3.5. If you look and one wants 30 graded credits and 4 want 60 graded credits, I'd get 60 graded credits.

My best advice here: begin with the end in mind. So look at your ultimate goal and then go about doing the things that you need to make that goal happen.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • msa145
I was accepted by both MS CS programs at Georgia Tech and Illinois with a BA Math from TESU. A caveat being I did earn an engineering degree from a "traditional" brick-and-mortar college but it was 15 years ago. The purpose of this TESU degree is to show that I am STEM-current. Choosing BA Math over BA CS was simply because I only need to take one class (LIB-495) for my BA Math degree and don't mind paying the residency waiver as my employer reimbursed all other tuition expenses
[-] The following 2 users Like fmsoa's post:
  • msa145, Pikachu
One thing to remember is that your application is a package. What school you attended is only one factor. Your GPA, work experience, essays, and recommendation letters all weigh in.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • msa145
Thanks for the input, guys. I have seen some get admission into Georgia Tech, including @dfrecore and
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...line-OMSCS

How many graded credits does Georgia Tech require? I am currently planning to do 30 graded credits for my BA. I have some working experience and community service / startup that help kids learn how to code, which might be an advantage in my portfolio.
(11-24-2022, 01:10 PM)msa145 Wrote: Thanks for the input, guys. I  have seen some get admission into Georgia Tech, including @dfrecore and

How many graded credits does Georgia Tech require? I am currently planning to do 30 graded credits for my BA. I have some working experience and community  service / startup that help kids learn how to code, which might be an advantage in my portfolio.

I absolutely have not gotten into GT, as I was a SAHM for 20 years and got my degree in business - so not sure where you got that info.  But I've never claimed it (nor have I ever WANTED to do such a thing).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
My bad, apologies. I wanted to tag @fmsoa . He mentioned above that he got accepted.
To my knowledge, Georgia Tech's OMSCS, while being a very reputable program, is pretty relaxed on admissions requirements. I've seen a LOT of WGU grads gain acceptance with zero graded credits. Don't get me wrong, IMO it's worth it to take steps to be more "competitive" like getting a high GPA with graded credits, but I wouldn't stress it too much. I've also seen a good amount of people with minimal CS backgrounds get in(as long as they displayed the necessary skills in other ways like work experience or moocs).

Another strong but inexpensive program to consider would be UT Austin's MSCS or if you want something tech focused but differently targeted, GT also has inexpensive online programs in in cybersecurity and data analytics.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 2 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • msa145, Pikachu
(11-24-2022, 01:10 PM)msa145 Wrote: Thanks for the input, guys. I  have seen some get admission into Georgia Tech, including @dfrecore and

How many graded credits does Georgia Tech require? I am currently planning to do 30 graded credits for my BA. I have some working experience and community  service / startup that help kids learn how to code, which might be an advantage in my portfolio.

30 graded credits look good, but for me the most important is what courses you take for grades. Data Structures, Algorithm Analysis, Java programming, Python programming, Operating Systems, Computer Architecture, Software Engineering, Linear Programming, and AI are concepts you can't get by with SDC or some other easy ways out. The average for GT's Graduate Algorithms and Machine Learning classes are in the low 50s, I've known some students retook and re-dropped those courses and eventually quit the program for good. TESU does not offer any algorithm analysis above the basic data structures course, you might want to take a course or two from Oregon State, Colorado State, or Florida to get yourself prepared.
(11-25-2022, 10:22 AM)fmsoa Wrote: The average for GT's Graduate Algorithms and Machine Learning classes are in the low 50s

I agree with your overall point, but just wanted to point out that this is a bit misleading without context:

50%-70% in the Graduate Algorithms course equates to a C for that particular course, so it's not that unusual that students in a harder course average a C grade.

I don't know the scoring breakdown for ML, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's similar.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 697 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  ASNSM in Computer Science and TEEX Cybersecurity? Shorn27 2 359 03-18-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 261 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 1 205 03-03-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,158 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP