Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Masters in Elementary Education
Hi Everyone!

I graduated last winter with a BA in Middle School Math with a 6-8 licensure in the state of TN. I have subbed at a number of schools in my area, completed 2 long term maternity leave positions,and have found my favorite grades are 3-5. After the fact Dodgy , I found that I am more passionate about these grades then middle school. Three questions.

1. Is there a Master's in Elementary Ed degree out there that leads to licensure but does not require you to take student teaching and edtpa all over again?

2. Is there a self-paced option other than WGU who does NOT require student teaching and edtpa?

3. As I have just graduated and am still running tight, would anyone know the most affordable and efficient choice ? I would like to finish before the 2021-2022 school year.

Thank you!
CLEP:College Comp. w/essay, A & I Lit. w/essay, College Algebra, US History 1 & 2, Biology, Human Growth & Development   DSST: Foundations of Edu.  TEEX: Cyber Security 101 & 301 Sophia: Developing Effective Teams The Institutes: Ethics & CPCU Prof. Code.

Straighterline: Intro to Religion, Intro to Com., Western Civ. 1& 2, American Gov, PreCalculus, Intro to Bio Lab

Study.com: Personal Finance, Edu. Psychology, Classroom Management, Special Edu. History & Law, Geology, Civil War & Reconstruction, History of the Vietnam War

2018 WGU BA Mathematics Education (5-9 licensure)

Current Work: VIPKID ESL Teacher and Substitute Teacher

[-] The following 1 user Likes teacher2's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs
Licensure requirements vary by state. In some you just need a Bachelor's in any subject. In others you need a regionally accredited Bachelor and/or Master's in a specific subject plus a 2 year state-run teacher training program and annual or biannual continuous education via state-approved schools.

Good news is regional vs national accreditation is scheduled to disappear, so a regionally accredited school will soon enable you to get a teacher's license.

The only online Master's in Elementary I've seen has been from University of the People, at about $4000.
(09-08-2023, 12:59 PM)nykorn Wrote: Good news is regional vs national accreditation is scheduled to disappear, so a regionally accredited school will soon enable you to get a teacher's license.

Although the federal Department of Education is moving away from a distinction between regional accreditation and national accreditation towards the umbrella term institutional accreditation, as far as I know there's been no talk of federal legislation to bar any other level of government or entity from making their own distinctions between regional accreditation and national accreditation.

So if a state-level law or state- or institution-level policy specifies regional accreditation or lists the historic list of regional accreditors but no historic national accreditors, that will stay in effect until the state or institution acts to change it, if it does.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • MrPanda, ss20ts
It seems that nykorn is reviving a bunch of old threads to promote UoPeople's Master of Education program. It might be a good program for learning, but its utility may be limited.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vle045's post:
  • ss20ts
(09-08-2023, 12:59 PM)nykorn Wrote: Licensure requirements vary by state. In some you just need a Bachelor's in any subject. In others you need a regionally accredited Bachelor and/or Master's in a specific subject plus a 2 year state-run teacher training program and annual or biannual continuous education via state-approved schools.

Good news is regional vs national accreditation is scheduled to disappear, so a regionally accredited school will soon enable you to get a teacher's license.

The only online Master's in Elementary I've seen has been from University of the People, at about $4000.

While the federal government may no longer distinguish between NA and RA, the fact remains that states do still distinguish between the two. An NA degree does not ensure a path to licensing of any kind in my state. All degrees must be RA for every license. 

Master's in education also widely vary based on the state they're in. In my state, we have several certifications for teachers that are broken down into different age groups. We are different than most states. So a master's in elementary education will limit you to certain grades in my state if the state recognizes the degree. They would not accept a degree from U of the P as they are not RA. 

Every state is different, but it's irresponsible to say that RA and NA accreditation is scheduled to disappear as that is 100% not true. While you may not be aware of other online degrees, the fact remains that there are numerous online master's in elementary education. WGU offers multiple master's in elementary education. SUNY has numerous master's in education available online. There are actually quite a few options. You seem to be pushing U of the P as an agenda.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 278 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 496 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 269 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,098 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 2,976 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  ENEB MASTERS Accreditation, Questions Sara143 10 1,631 02-20-2024, 02:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 524 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  Masters level credits from Sophia and others? jb111 24 1,591 02-09-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
  Summary of ENEB Masters in Big Data and Business Intelligence Pinko64 4 1,135 02-04-2024, 03:49 PM
Last Post: housecat
  Online Psych Masters from VIU, WES Canada eligible? Earind_00 6 1,276 01-31-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: muca3