Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Masters of Science in Management and Leadership
Still talking with a wgu advisor. She brought up today the possibility of pursuing and Masters of Science education in Leadership and management instead of an MBA. I am not too familiar with this degree, any success or horror stories with this degree? Is it as widely recognized, respected, and worthwhile as an MBA?

My background I have been in banking now for over 8 years. Love every moment of it, and I am currently an assistant manager looking to move up to be Branch Manager.

Now, I am already doing stellar on the work front, but getting that extra degree (since all my competition has bachelors) will put me over the edge.

I a. Motivated by incentives, production, and a successful team. I have a strong desire to show a degree that displays my capabilities.
Mikevalek Wrote:Still talking with a wgu advisor. She brought up today the possibility of pursuing and Masters of Science education in Leadership and management instead of an MBA. I am not too familiar with this degree, any success or horror stories with this degree? Is it as widely recognized, respected, and worthwhile as an MBA?

My background I have been in banking now for over 8 years. Love every moment of it, and I am currently an assistant manager looking to move up to be Branch Manager.

Now, I am already doing stellar on the work front, but getting that extra degree (since all my competition has bachelors) will put me over the edge.

I a. Motivated by incentives, production, and a successful team. I have a strong desire to show a degree that displays my capabilities.

No experience with WGU, but if you're in banking, there is NO option other than MBA. You will regret it later if you opt for MS.
BSBA GM TESU June 2016
120 Credits from July 25, 2015 to March 22, 2016
CLEP
College Comp I/II 63 l Anal and Int Lit 61 l Princ of Management 63 l Princ of Marketing 65 l Intro Psych 71 l Intro to Ed Psych 61 l Human Growth and Dev 62 l Intro to Soc 68 l Am Gov 63 l US History I 69 l Biology 56 l Spanish 63
ALEKS
Int Algebra l College Algebra l Intro to Statistics
DSST
Intro to World Rel 481 l Ethics in Am 483 l Criminal Justice 463 l Public Speaking 465 l Intro Comp 454 l MIS 451 l HR Mgt 461
Straighterline
Acc I l Acc II l Cost Acc l Business Law l Org Beh l Bus Comm l Macro l Micro l Int Acc I
Penn Foster
Princ of Finance 92 l Intl Bus 95 l Strat Mgt 98 l Cons Behavior 95
No way I'd take the MS over the MBA. MBA has the utility I think you're looking for. Take the known and accepted business masters.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Hi Mike,

That's interesting you brought up MS Education in Leadership and Management as that should be for teachers or administrative personnel at an educational institution, such as a principal. I don't think this is as beneficial as an MBA especially if you are in Banking or in the Bank/Financial sector, when you are wanting to move up that chain.

What was your undergrad major and do you have interest in teaching or training others? The only reason I can think of to take that over the MBA is if your undergrad was in Education or if you want to go into corporate training at your workplace.
But that route won't bring you up to branch manager, it'll be something like corporate training advisor.

BJ
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Also (absolutely no offense to my WGU friends) you should look at AACSB accredited MBA. In banking, they will definitely look down on a lower accreditation.
BSBA GM TESU June 2016
120 Credits from July 25, 2015 to March 22, 2016
CLEP
College Comp I/II 63 l Anal and Int Lit 61 l Princ of Management 63 l Princ of Marketing 65 l Intro Psych 71 l Intro to Ed Psych 61 l Human Growth and Dev 62 l Intro to Soc 68 l Am Gov 63 l US History I 69 l Biology 56 l Spanish 63
ALEKS
Int Algebra l College Algebra l Intro to Statistics
DSST
Intro to World Rel 481 l Ethics in Am 483 l Criminal Justice 463 l Public Speaking 465 l Intro Comp 454 l MIS 451 l HR Mgt 461
Straighterline
Acc I l Acc II l Cost Acc l Business Law l Org Beh l Bus Comm l Macro l Micro l Int Acc I
Penn Foster
Princ of Finance 92 l Intl Bus 95 l Strat Mgt 98 l Cons Behavior 95
Maybe I have blinders on, but I don't see the utility of an MS in Management/Leadership, especially when compared to an MBA. I have heard others call this type of degree an "MBA Lite". I suppose if you just need a Master's degree to check the box for a promotion, it would be fine.

[edit] As I read my own post, I realize that I'm in an MS Leadership program now, and laughing a little at myself. However, my program is very specific to the challenges in the healthcare industry (and even more specific to nursing issues). A lot of the material actually crosses over into MBA territory, as far as the financials. I don't think WGU's MS Management/Leadership really gets into those hard financial aspects, and focuses more on the soft people skills. I just don't see an academic program being able to teach those soft skills. That's something that comes with experience.

dmjacobsen http://donaldjacobsen.com
Author, nurse, and all-around awesome guy
MSN Executive Leadership - The University of Memphis - 2016
MBA Healthcare Management - Western Governors University - 2015
DBRENNAN118 Wrote:Also (absolutely no offense to my WGU friends) you should look at AACSB accredited MBA. In banking, they will definitely look down on a lower accreditation.
This is a bit of an oversimplification. There are some MBA programs from quality schools that are either not AACSB accredited or were not until recently. Examples include UCSD and Hopkins, although I'm not sure of Hopkins' current accreditation status. Even HBS didn't bother until relatively recently. Quality programs are quality programs, AACSB or not. AACSB only really helps small schools like Frostburg State or Jacksonville State, the likes of which are not going to get you much respect in banking anyway.

I'll throw my support behind the MBA over a MS Leadership as well. The MBA is a superior degree in just about every way.
CPA (WA), CFA Level III Candidate

Currently pursuing: ALM, Data Science - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (12/48, on hold for CFA/life commitments)
MBA, Finance/Accounting - Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2015
BSBA, General Management - Thomas Edison State College, Trenton, NJ, 2012

That particular MS is essentially a glorified version of human Resources. It is not good. Their MBA is far superior.
bjcheung77 Wrote:Hi Mike,

That's interesting you brought up MS Education in Leadership and Management as that should be for teachers or administrative personnel at an educational institution, such as a principal. I don't think this is as beneficial as an MBA especially if you are in Banking or in the Bank/Financial sector, when you are wanting to move up that chain.

What was your undergrad major and do you have interest in teaching or training others? The only reason I can think of to take that over the MBA is if your undergrad was in Education or if you want to go into corporate training at your workplace.
But that route won't bring you up to branch manager, it'll be something like corporate training advisor.

BJ

It's not an MS in Education Management and Leadership. It's an MS in Management and Leadership taught out of the business school. I, honestly, don't see the purpose of these degrees. You're essentially being taught organizational behavior over and over again from different angles.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Most MS in Management and Leadership degrees differ from MBAs, because they omit finance, economics, and accounting from the coursework. IMHO, these are the MOST important classes in an MBA program. I would not recommend this as an MBA replacement. It has it's role (if you need credit hours to teach), but i don't believe it's what you want.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ENEB to UK top up masters possible? Atoshi 0 5 6 minutes ago
Last Post: Atoshi
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 749 04-18-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: MichiganMax
  Ms data science for 15k Imbanewbie 15 1,661 04-16-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: dutchdragon
  best MBA/Masters in Finance programs after UMPI? CFPhopeful 7 498 04-07-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Mjake260
  Phd in environmental science myopenledger 2 229 03-27-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 694 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 389 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,329 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 3,135 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  Master's in Security Management CBE Online Jeff7 8 589 02-27-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone