Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Math Requirement - Liberty - Help Deciding
(03-08-2019, 02:30 PM)xjarhead1999 Wrote: You will hear different opinions from different people. I thought ALEKS was way too easy for the College Algebra. On the first initial assessment, I scored something like 67 or 68%.  A little later I forced another assessment and ended up scoring something over 70%. At that time I went to ace and added it to my transcript.  I might have spent a total of 2 hours to get those credits.
Of course, I spent the rest of the month trying to get the business statistics credits and never could get over 69%. That one seemed like they ignored everything they knew you were good at and avoided asking questions about it.

I did Beginning Algebra and Intermediate Algebra on ALEKS, back when they were both ACE-approved and TESU accepted both of them.  I thought they were both easy.  Then, I switched to College Algebra and came to a screeching halt.  It took ages to pass.  More than a month of diligent study.  I finally gave up.

It really depends on how you learn, and how quickly you can progress through the program.  I say if you want to spend $20 to give it a shot, then do so.  But if you find yourself struggling with it, then cut your losses and switch to something else.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-08-2019, 03:42 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(03-08-2019, 02:30 PM)xjarhead1999 Wrote: You will hear different opinions from different people. I thought ALEKS was way too easy for the College Algebra. On the first initial assessment, I scored something like 67 or 68%.  A little later I forced another assessment and ended up scoring something over 70%. At that time I went to ace and added it to my transcript.  I might have spent a total of 2 hours to get those credits.
Of course, I spent the rest of the month trying to get the business statistics credits and never could get over 69%. That one seemed like they ignored everything they knew you were good at and avoided asking questions about it.

I did Beginning Algebra and Intermediate Algebra on ALEKS, back when they were both ACE-approved and TESU accepted both of them.  I thought they were both easy.  Then, I switched to College Algebra and came to a screeching halt.  It took ages to pass.  More than a month of diligent study.  I finally gave up.

It really depends on how you learn, and how quickly you can progress through the program.  I say if you want to spend $20 to give it a shot, then do so.  But if you find yourself struggling with it, then cut your losses and switch to something else.

Thanks for your input, jarhead.  

If I take the SDC course, do I have to make an ACE account first?  I have never used ACE before.  My school states that the transcript needs to come from ACE.
If you take SDC courses, the transcript comes directly from SDC. Only for other sources like Saylor or Aleks, you need to create ACE transcripts.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
(03-08-2019, 11:29 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(03-08-2019, 08:42 AM)mepdblue Wrote:
(03-08-2019, 08:39 AM)Supermind Wrote: How about Aleks’ College Algebra?

I am considering ALEKS.  Although I am worried about the required 70% on the ACE knowledge check.  I would prefer a course that averages all scores in determining final grade.  I would hate for one bad test to sink the whole thing.  Thank you for your input!

ALEKS doesn't work like that. It is like a cycle where you start with an initial assessment, followed by a learning section where concepts are introduced and tested, followed by a knowledge check to test your mastery of new concepts followed by the learning section, and then another knowledge check. This cycle continues until you hit 70% on any knowledge check, at which time you have the option to take a semi-proctored "ACE knowledge check" for college credit. If you're just barely hitting 70% and feel that you need more study time, you can always skip the ACE knowledge check and try again later when you think you're ready. If you try the ACE knowledge check and don't hit 70% it just sends you back to the learning section again so you can focus on mastering what you missed.

So there is no "one bad test to sink the whole thing". You either hit 70% on a given knowledge check or you go back to learning and can keep trying until you do. There is no time limit on how long you can spend working through the course.

Just to clarify, if you take and fail the ACE knowledge check you can take it as many times as you like? Does it force you to gain a higher mastery than the initial 70% required to to take the first ACE knowledge check? Currently sitting at 72% and want to take the ACE Check but am unsure what happens if I don't pass it on the first attempt.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sambeaux's post:
  • alab21
(04-13-2019, 11:26 PM)sambeaux Wrote:
(03-08-2019, 11:29 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(03-08-2019, 08:42 AM)mepdblue Wrote:
(03-08-2019, 08:39 AM)Supermind Wrote: How about Aleks’ College Algebra?

I am considering ALEKS.  Although I am worried about the required 70% on the ACE knowledge check.  I would prefer a course that averages all scores in determining final grade.  I would hate for one bad test to sink the whole thing.  Thank you for your input!

ALEKS doesn't work like that. It is like a cycle where you start with an initial assessment, followed by a learning section where concepts are introduced and tested, followed by a knowledge check to test your mastery of new concepts followed by the learning section, and then another knowledge check. This cycle continues until you hit 70% on any knowledge check, at which time you have the option to take a semi-proctored "ACE knowledge check" for college credit. If you're just barely hitting 70% and feel that you need more study time, you can always skip the ACE knowledge check and try again later when you think you're ready. If you try the ACE knowledge check and don't hit 70% it just sends you back to the learning section again so you can focus on mastering what you missed.

So there is no "one bad test to sink the whole thing". You either hit 70% on a given knowledge check or you go back to learning and can keep trying until you do. There is no time limit on how long you can spend working through the course.

Just to clarify, if you take and fail the ACE knowledge check you can take it as many times as you like? Does it force you to gain a higher mastery than the initial 70% required to to take the first ACE knowledge check? Currently sitting at 72% and want to take the ACE Check but am unsure what happens if I don't pass it on the first attempt.

Yes. Doing poorly on a knowledge check just rolls back the % mastered for any sections in the pie chart you didn’t do well on, and those get added back into the topics to learn/review until the next knowledge check. So the overall % mastered rolls back too, if you don’t know it, but if you’ve mastered the topics you should be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
(04-14-2019, 12:22 AM)alab21 Wrote:
(04-13-2019, 11:26 PM)sambeaux Wrote: Just to clarify, if you take and fail the ACE knowledge check you can take it as many times as you like? Does it force you to gain a higher mastery than the initial 70% required to to take the first ACE knowledge check? Currently sitting at 72% and want to take the ACE Check but am unsure what happens if I don't pass it on the first attempt.

Yes. Doing poorly on a knowledge check just rolls back the % mastered for any sections in the pie chart you didn’t do well on, and those get added back into the topics to learn/review until the next knowledge check. So the overall % mastered rolls back too, if you don’t know it, but if you’ve mastered the topics you should be ok.

So, like alab21 says, if you fail the ACE knowledge check and you miss questions that you had mastered before, you lose mastery over those topics and your percentage of the pie goes down to represent how you scored in the knowledge check. You then have to work on mastering the topics again until you're ready to re-take the ACE knowledge check. You can do this as many times as you need since there is no other adverse impact.

Once you pass the ACE knowledge check with at least a 70% score, you're done and can request credit. It doesn't matter how many times you failed and had to work your way back up to take it again.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Aleks College Algebra felt quite straightforward and easy. Trigonometry felt a bit difficult. But more than difficulty, what really drove me crazy was the length of the program. 426 lessons!!! Anyways, I managed to achieve a 98% mastery on the ACE knowledge check.

Introduction to Statistics on Aleks is terrible! I will not recommend this course. The explanations are incomplete; they seem to suddenly show some calculation with some strange numbers, and do not explain how they arrived at those numbers. And I felt the calculator was also behaving crazy. When you have long lists of 26 3-digit numbers, for which you have to calculate the standard deviation, you can imagine how painstaking that process is. And when I very diligently calculate the standard deviation, it shows that the calculation is wrong. I go to the explanations page, and it is an entirely different number. I cannot for the life of it, understand how they came upon such a number. I used three different calculators and still, I was not getting the standard deviation as Aleks was showing. So, I just somehow dragged along, and still managed to score 89 on the ACE knowledge check. I only completed 90% of the course. Trig and Algebra, I completed the entire course.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,389 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Any good self-paced option for math such as Calculus II? zcao15 3 954 06-11-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Sophia US History for PUG as a Social Science requirement faresayari 5 647 05-20-2023, 08:15 PM
Last Post: faresayari
  Study.com Math 108: Discrete Mathematics - Optional Quiz and final exam Titan_s 5 2,072 11-11-2022, 10:13 AM
Last Post: simonbellfi
  Need 12 Math Credits - Please Help (and read :) ) acamp 48 8,837 07-08-2022, 08:47 PM
Last Post: creationstory
  Math Course Giantzebra 18 3,425 05-29-2022, 10:47 PM
Last Post: StudentOLife
  Coopersmith Upper Level Math? eriehiker 19 4,774 05-27-2022, 08:06 PM
  Study.com Discrete Math prereqs decibel 18 3,624 03-16-2022, 12:15 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Algebra - which provider for math idiot back2schoolin22 8 1,314 02-02-2022, 08:40 PM
  SDC | Discrete Math akr680 2 1,235 08-16-2021, 12:36 PM
Last Post: akr680