Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maximizing Sophia courses at COSC
It is Sophia - "US History I" accepted by COSC??

Based on this link it isn't:
https://charteroak.sophia.org/#courses
BSBA: 70% completed (84 credits of 120)
(06-06-2020, 09:21 PM)cecilgambe7 Wrote: It is Sophia - "US History I" accepted by COSC??

Based on this link it isn't:
https://charteroak.sophia.org/#courses

That list is a few years out of date from my understanding. The best thing to do would be to e-mail the registrar and ask.

I haven’t heard anyone confirm which Sophia courses for sure got added to their transcripts in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tedium's post:
  • cecilgambe7
(05-28-2020, 10:04 AM)Tedium Wrote:
(05-28-2020, 03:59 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(05-27-2020, 06:22 PM)Tedium Wrote: Back on topic: I think I'm going to take as many of the Sophia courses as I can before the deadline. I'm going to start with Statistics to replace my ALEKS for math, then move on to Project Management for the UL credit, and then just start knocking as many out as possible.

FYI, you do not have to COMPLETE the Sophia courses before July 31st. You only have to enroll in them. You can enroll in them and set the start date to August and/or keep pushing the start date forward indefinitely until you can actually begin working on them. They'll still be free.

I appreciate that and that is good information for people to keep in mind. I only need a math (I'm going to try and do both Statistics and Algebra) and the Project Management course, though. That's just three courses. The rest would just be for fun. July 31st is just a good stopping point for me, so I don't procrastinate anymore.

Also, I realize that I never thought it would take this long to get my BA. I never thought I would be looking at the tail end of CLEP expiration dates. I have waited so long to graduate that the FEMA, NFA, Institutes, Shmoop, and ALEKS credits I earned are no longer usable. And one of the CLEP exams I originally took, Freshman College Composition, has been retired. So finishing these courses is just an insurance policy against my bad life/decisions getting in my way again. 

That second paragraph is a little lagniappe you didn't need to know, but I'm just feeling down about it at the moment.

Yikes! My daughter took her algebra thru ALEKS and that was a struggle for her, but she finally passed! So ALEKS is no longer accepted at the Big 3? It's on her ACE transcript. Please don't let this be so.... She took that course several times before passing!!
Huh
BA, Religion, AMU, 2019, Summa Cum Laude & Class Speaker
AA, General Ed., AMU, 2016

RA: Northern Virginia CC; St. Leo Univ.

Alt Credit:
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams
TEEX: Cyber Security for Everyone; Cyber Security for IT Professionals
SL: Intro. to Religion (the class 1 transferred to AMU-wish I had known sooner)

Angel 
Unlisted USArmy and Fed govt prof credentials
(06-09-2020, 10:15 PM)warriortaupou Wrote: Yikes! My daughter took her algebra thru ALEKS and that was a struggle for her, but she finally passed! So ALEKS is no longer accepted at the Big 3? It's on her ACE transcript. Please don't let this be so.... She took that course several times before passing!!
Huh

Pretty sure it's because of the age of the credits. If your daughter just took it, she should be fine. But I don't know if ALEKS is/will be a "partner" of COSC, though, and that might mean that the credits aren't accepted at COSC but they would still be accepted at TESU or EC. My credits from The Institutes were accepted at TESU even though I took them a couple of years ago. Even if your daughter can't get a degree at COSC, she still has options.
(06-10-2020, 05:00 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(06-09-2020, 10:15 PM)warriortaupou Wrote: Yikes! My daughter took her algebra thru ALEKS and that was a struggle for her, but she finally passed! So ALEKS is no longer accepted at the Big 3? It's on her ACE transcript. Please don't let this be so.... She took that course several times before passing!!
Huh

Pretty sure it's because of the age of the credits. If your daughter just took it, she should be fine. But I don't know if ALEKS is/will be a "partner" of COSC, though, and that might mean that the credits aren't accepted at COSC but they would still be accepted at TESU or EC. My credits from The Institutes were accepted at TESU even though I took them a couple of years ago. Even if your daughter can't get a degree at COSC, she still has options.

I don’t know that age of credit has anything to do with it. According to the language they use, it’s all about a partnership. Credit acceptance is dependent on COSC’s relationship with ALEKS, and since COSC doesn’t maintain a list, we don’t know what that relationship is.

If someone needs ALEKS credit at COSC, the best thing they can do is reach out to both ALEKS and COSC and ask about it. ALEKS may not be aware of the change, or it could be they worked it out behind the scenes and haven’t posted it to the site yet. We won’t know till someone asks.

You have to remember that while these changes affect the members of this board massively, they don’t affect too many other COSC students. We’re the outliers. It’s not COSC’s priority to set this out nice and neat so we can easily map our degree hacks because it doesn’t affect that many students in the scheme of things. Not that many people go to COSC and even less rely on alternative credits beyond CLEP or AP to graduate. We need to be proactive in determining how this affects our future efforts by reaching out to companies and schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
Huh

So first, COSC is only 1 of the Big 3, and there haven't been any issues getting ALEKS credits into any of the Big 3, so even if COSC doesn't take them because they aren't a "partner" the other 2 still will (as will plenty of other schools).

Second, ALEKS may end up being a partner, in which case you don't have to worry about this.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Tedium
(05-28-2020, 03:15 AM)kevie Wrote: I know that the Sophia project management class will come in as an upper level business course, too.

I approved it with my counselor there to make sure it was pre-approved and I am taking the course now.

Do you know if it comes in as MAN-435 Project Management? My husband may need that one.
I was wondering since time is of essence..... which of the Sophia courses are the quickest to get done?  Any suggestions?  
I am shooting for COSC  
Microeconomics
Macroeconomics
World religions
I have these three completed with Sofia

I am doing currently at ASU
English comp
Western civilization
Intro to communications
Intro to health and wellness
Algebra

Plan to do eng comp2 
Astronomy with lab
Intro to sociology
at ASU

Also, would my communications class cover the oral communication requirement?  Any thoughts?  And the astronomy with a lab should cover the science with a lab ? 
Also, do you have to take them in order?  For example, for COSC using Sophia, US History 2 is considered to cover gen Ed but US History 1 is just an elective.  So my priority would be to start with US History 2 right?  Thanks for any advice!!!!
(06-10-2020, 03:45 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
Huh

So first, COSC is only 1 of the Big 3, and there haven't been any issues getting ALEKS credits into any of the Big 3, so even if COSC doesn't take them because they aren't a "partner" the other 2 still will (as will plenty of other schools).

Second, ALEKS may end up being a partner, in which case you don't have to worry about this.

COSC takes credit only from following: 
  • StaighterLine
  • Study.com
  • Saylor
  • Sophia
  • CSM learn
ALEKS  is not accepted. I got email from them today
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cofffeee's post:
  • Tedium
My understanding is that Sophia's Conflict Resolution course is also accepted by Charter Oak, but only as a free elective. (If someone has current experience to the contrary, please correct me.)
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 105 52,156 8 hours ago
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 370 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,574 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 274 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,788 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,860 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,387 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 6 545 03-03-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 3 601 03-01-2024, 09:13 PM
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 3,957 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet