Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayday! One more course for History minor: what are my options?
I need just one more lower division course to complete the minor in history and I am scrambling for options. I thought I had completed all of the requirements, but I did not realize that I need 18 history credits instead of 15. I am starting two more classes on Monday and then I'll be done, so I don't have time to squeeze in one more class before the end of the term. Except for those two classes, all of the other courses for my degree are complete and I am not returning for Spring term. 

Possible options to get that one last history class (lower division is okay):
  1. I already completed Art History; does anyone have experience with that counting as a history course? I'm thinking it's a long shot.  
  2. I could quickly take Topics in History via Sophia and get that onto my transcript. 
  3.  I also have about 20 credits in Native American and Southwest history, but they are listed on my transcript as Native American Studies because they were under the Native American Studies program at my last university. They're definitely history classes, just not Westernized/European history. Is there any way to get them to count?
  4. Worst case scenario is that I drop the history minor (I already have the management and social studies minors) so I can graduate. I just hate doing that when I only need one lower-division class!
Any suggestions, advice, or ideas?
For 3, file an appeal and provide a syllabus as proof, if possible. If you don't have a syllabus, at least try to provide an official class description.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • RachelB
Art History is an art course not a history course. While you can appeal your transfer credit in Native American Studies courses, you don't have time as the last day to add a class is coming up quickly. Did you transfer in US History 1 AND 2? Both are on Sophia. Topics in US History does transfer in as a LL history course. Sophia is probably your best soption, but you need to get the updated transcript into UMPI before the term ends.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • RachelB
@Junco, it's best to list your classes you've taken and we can provide recommendations for an easy to finish lower level class. You can take anything that is ACE recommended for credit from CLEP/MS, Saylor, Sophia, Study.com or whatever, even StraighterLine has a few to select from. We can't recommend you anything without knowing what you have, as we may be recommending duplicate courses...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Thanks so much for your replies, everyone! I think I am going to try two options: US History 2 at Sophia (should be an easy turnaround) and also petitioning to allow the Native American Studies class to transfer as a history class. The term ends in 2 weeks and I know Jessica is just about the busiest person on the planet and I don't know what her capacity will be to help me with this,  so we'll just have to see how this turns out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Junco's post:
  • RachelB
(12-03-2023, 06:23 PM)Junco Wrote: Thanks so much for your replies, everyone! I think I am going to try two options: US History 2 at Sophia (should be an easy turnaround) and also petitioning to allow the Native American Studies class to transfer as a history class. The term ends in 2 weeks and I know Jessica is just about the busiest person on the planet and I don't know what her capacity will be to help me with this,  so we'll just have to see how this turns out.

Transfer credit isn't determined by Jessica. Barbara works on them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • RachelB

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is a philosophy minor possible at UMPI? LevelUP 8 105 Yesterday, 11:34 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Undergraduate Degree Liberal Studies w/ a Minor in Psychology molov 4 231 04-21-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  UMPI YourPace BLS w/ Management Minor Reference Plan valentvne 6 317 04-21-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  BLS Degree Options Question dm.hans32 3 251 04-17-2024, 10:17 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is a Criminal Justice Minor Possible? Marlin9276 3 198 04-13-2024, 09:13 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  BLS Management Minor Degree Plan mohelena02 4 418 04-12-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: mohelena02
  UMPI Minor Question WayToGoGrad 6 330 04-09-2024, 09:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  BLS with a minor in Information Systems or BBA PM & IS ZO10 23 1,039 03-28-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  Educational Studies Minor Adrian245 11 1,752 03-26-2024, 11:58 PM
  UMPI BLS Minor Business theea 5 399 03-20-2024, 02:41 PM