Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Military Education Spending and Stats
I was actually looking for the expenditures for DANTES funded CLEP/DSST exams. I didn't find it, but found this interesting fact sheet which shows DoD voluntary education statistics from FY 1985 through FY 2012.

If you are doing research or you're just bored, check it out:

http://www.dantes.doded.mil/_content/fac...rchive.pdf
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
I was talking about the expenditures to you awhile back defending taking CLEPS/DSST’s without studying on some random board, I don't think you can find an actual number but you can ball park it pretty close with the following,
TOTAL CLEP/DSST FOR MILITARY 2014 = 97,841
2014 Military Only Computer Based DSST's
Passed: 25,243
Failed: 16,000
Total: 41,243 (61.21%)
2014 Military Only Paper Based DSST's
Passed:517
Failed: 733
Total: 1,250 (41.36%)
2014 Military Only Computer Based CLEPS
Pass: 32,745
Fail: 22,603
Total: 55,348 (59%)
Not including the cost of having proctors military paid ~ 9,748,100$ (~100$ a test) on CLEP/DSSTs in 2014 resulting in 58,505 passed tests and 39,336 failures
At the bare minimum if each course is worth 3 credits (completely wrong, but I don’t want to do the math so this number is a very large underestimation) 175,515 credits were earned
If each credit hour were to cost the military ~250$ /Credit hour, 175,515 credits would have cost the military 43,878,750$, (again this is an understatement) this has resulted in the military saving at least 34,130,650$ in 2014

Source: Examinations — Prep for College | Service Members | DANTES - Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support
CCAF Air & Space Operations Technology- COMPLETE
TESC AS - General Managment-COMPLETE
TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems-COMPLETE
WGU MBA IT -COMPLETE
Also, on the thing you posted! My god on the ratio of Air force to other branches taking CLEPS.
WGU MBA IT -COMPLETE
gingerbeefE Wrote:Also, on the thing you posted! My god on the ratio of Air force to other branches taking CLEPS.

yeah, the air force encourages the blind clep taking more than the other services do.

As fsr as the other issue, I still stand by my point that these have real costs and we should be mindful. Especially since if you factor how many of these attempts are by Airmen pressured to take one for an upcoming board, many of whom have zero intention of going to college. Believe me, when I was a maintainer, there was plenty of guys who told me they joined the AF so they wouldnt have to go to college, which is cool.

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

I wonder if DOD pays full rate for DSST exams? I would put money on a bulk discount.
I'm sure there is a contract that gives some type of bulk discount. That info is no where to be found. I'm too lazy and cheap to do a FOIA request on it.

PrLoko-isms

Prloko Wrote:yeah, the air force encourages the blind clep taking more than the other services do.

As fsr as the other issue, I still stand by my point that these have real costs and we should be mindful. Especially since if you factor how many of these attempts are by Airmen pressured to take one for an upcoming board, many of whom have zero intention of going to college. Believe me, when I was a maintainer, there was plenty of guys who told me they joined the AF so they wouldnt have to go to college, which is cool.

Schooling and volunteering are not a factor in the new EPR system, I'm curious to see how all these numbers in this document decline over the next few years
WGU MBA IT -COMPLETE

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  opinion on military school for ADHD teen EducationSeeker 18 3,041 10-14-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: martamarti
  ACE credit for possible military enlistment? dfrecore 33 5,695 05-27-2020, 09:59 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
  Have a military education exit strategy. vetvso 26 5,585 05-07-2020, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  20% off Coopersmith for Active Military Zachcleigh 0 1,795 12-04-2019, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Zachcleigh
  AMU Reducing Military-Affiliated Master's Tuition to $250/credit (and free books) TheMaskedMutant 1 1,893 11-22-2019, 12:16 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Military Residency Requirement natshar 3 1,943 07-08-2019, 11:13 AM
Last Post: natshar
  Military waiver for residency charge at tesu Zachcleigh 4 2,300 05-09-2019, 07:59 AM
Last Post: ECH90
  TESU database of military credits? dfrecore 8 3,430 02-14-2019, 01:00 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  DraftKings Partners With VetsinTech to Offer Free Coding Training to Ex-Military Memb decimon 0 2,112 06-14-2018, 09:08 PM
Last Post: decimon
  The most Military/Veteran friendly College Commencements! Life Long Learning 42 8,896 06-07-2018, 07:18 PM
Last Post: ShotoJuku