Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Military Members, What would be your "dream job" in the service?
This is to all you out there who have military experience. As I mentioned in a previous post, my nephew wants to join the navy. But it seems like you never find out what the really good jobs are until you've actually been in a while. Then one day you see a somebody else in uniform with a certain job and say "Man, I wish I'd picked that when I signed up." So, here's the question, if you could pick any military job, what would it be and why. Thanks in advance for all your feedback!
I have been in the Air Force for over 10 years now. I joined in the Clinton administration so there wasn't a whole lot of opportunities. But I kick myself in the ass everyday when I think about not taking a job flying on the AWACS. Instead, I opted for Munitions (ordnance). Now, my back hurts everyday and I am usually sunburned.

If I was to join the navy, I would opt for anything with the nuclear systems or medical field. You would never have a problem finding a job with that sort of training.
If I had to do it all over again, knowing what I know now and having spoken on this very subject with friends still in the military, I would look at the various ratings (MOS) and see which one would translate into a job I would like doing once I got out. For example, sniper training does not translate very well to civilian life in my opinion, unless you want to be in some sort of protective service or the police; However cryptography, or something in computers would most likely serve to land you a good job, should you decide the military is not for you. Think "What things translate well into the civilian sector?". Thats just my $.02, take it for what its worth Smile

~Rich
Better be wise by the misfortunes of others than by your own.
~Aesop

Pursuing B.S. Nuclear Technologies, Excelsior College

Tests Remaining: 0 (0SH)

Tests Taken: 11 (36SH)

CLEP
U.S. Hist I(57), U.S. Hist II(58), Intro Soc(67), A&I Lit(78), American Gov.(61)
DSST
Intro to IS(73), MIS(65), Ethics In America(68), Intro World Rel.(71), General Anthropology(65), Astronomy(69)
Chopping Block
None and DONE!
Im not sure what i would pick. Of course it will all depend on what he scores on asvab. If they give him options on fields after his asvab i could help you pick one. Well at least give insight cause i dont know all jobs but i know alot of them or had friends in them. The first job i had was in aviation on the catapults. Didnt like it too much cause you do maintenance during the day then at night they fly (when your out in la la land that is). WHen in the US its cool. Regular work days, if that. Some long days when you get deployed. Thats what i didnt like. or maybe it was just my unit. I transferred to another job after 2 yrs to MP.

No matter what though you can always jump around through jobs/MOS etc if you see something you like better. Provided you are smart enough for that particular job.

Now, if your looking to go in for your 4, 5 yrs etc then come out. I would say make sure you find a job that has the potential for some leadership no matter what it is . Something that shows responsibilty. Taking care of floor waxing isnt going to be as good as taking care of more high dollar stuff. Even if it doesnt translate directly. Alot of them dont translate BUT you can use skills attained from those jobs to land a job in the field you want out here.

I wasnt in a highly techinical job and neither were majority of my buddies. But, with that said all of us who got out after our 4, 5, 6 years, have done pretty good. Some stayed in, and are still in now.

Transitioning out is tough. Some guys have a easy time- some dont. Me it took me awhile about 2 years to land (what most would call) a good job. A few of my friends in the same field or similar jumped into a good job fast within 6-12 months after.One is a ICE agent, another a cop, another a contractor making 35 hr, firefighter, the list goes on. This was all based on what they did in there. None have college degrees. Some like me are slowly going back to school now. Most were in aviation fields ABE, ABF, ABH. But those jobs can be tough on the back.

And tell him to take all the dsst/clep exams he can for free while in. I didnt know about this. I saw some postings around base but never looked into it. If i would have known about it I would have taken them cold turkey to see what happens, then if i fail Go Study!

Also, make sure you sign up for your GI Bill to use for school when you get out. some people make this mistake. 1200 sounds like alot when you are a new guy outta high school but contributing 1200 bucks=30k plus. (geez now i sound like a recruiter..)

If youd like to talk more you can email me. Im not going to go into great detail or bash certain jobs on a forum.
Thanks again for all the encouraging posts! I ended up going thru the various job listings on military.com and the navy recruiting website . I also used the ACE guide to cross reference. I'm retired Army and many of the Navy jobs were familiar. My nephew scored high on the ASVAB and so scores weren't a problem. I created a spreadsheet with 14 possibilities and ranked them by order of preference and had him take it with him to the MEPs station. He really wanted to go into the nuclear program but it turned out he's color blind, so that eliminated many of the tech jobs I'd picked out. I focused the selections on technical (computers, electronics, etc) and medical related jobs. He ended up taking navy corpsman, which I think will be a good start for him and if he continues his education he will have lots of opportunities in the future. For instance, he could keep studying and later become a physician's assistant. He doesn't leave for basic until November and has completed 48 credits so far (not bad for an 18 year old GED grad). My wife and I are trying to encourage him to keep studying with the goal of completing the requirements for a BA degree by the time he ships out in November.
Just to play the Devil's Advocate here, your nephew is scoring near the top of the ASVAB and he's already earned over 48 college credits at the age of 18. If they won't let him into the nuclear field because he is color blind, I'd say screw the whole idea.

Mind you, I'm in the Navy and I love it most days but I won't pretend that its cut out for everybody. If your nephew is this far ahead of the curve I feel the need to interject. He almost has his Associate degree. Already being enrolled in Charter Oak, just have him keep earning credits to a B.S. Take somm FEMA courses to cover some of the credit gap and apply it to Charter Oak. (http://www.instantcertonline.com/forums/...es-11.html)

They even take GRE Subject Exams and require a 40% for a pass netting him 18 or 24 credits depending on the subject exam. My honest advice is to go Officer. Hold off joining the military for a year and earn a whole lot more than being enlisted.

My two cents on the issue. For what it matters I am enlisted in the Navy and proud of the fact. But if I had over 40 credits at 18 I'd hope someone would tell me the same thing.
[SIZE="1"]CLEP exams passed:
Management, Accounting, Marketing, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics

DSST exams passed:
Human Resources Management, Organizational Behavior, Statistics, Management Information Systems

Earned:
B.A. in Business Administration: Technology Management from Saint Leo University

M.S. in Leadership: Business Ethics from Duquesne University [/SIZE]
I am with you on that one 100%!!
CCAF-AS Logistics Management
CCAF-AS Bio-Environmental Science
Cerro Coso Community College-AS Administration of Justice
Excelsior College-BS Criminal Justice-2008
TESC-BA Liberal Studies-2009
2 Different Bachelor Degrees completed in under 2 years!
Old Rusty Pipe is dead on. Sounds like your nephew swore in already. Is there a reason why he chose the Navy over say the Air Force? If he was looking at 4 and out, the Air Force may be the better way to go if he can get in there. I know back in my day, when I was aboard ship, we worked first and second, then you had time for a class but work CAME FIRST. Maybe that has changed. The AF definitely works better for the "domesticated program" meaning combining military job w/civilian training. I talked with quite a few enlisted who wished they completed school (Bachelor Degree) before entering, they would have gone the "O" route. As for color blind, I know that too. Lost my right eye to a screwdriver at 5 and it kept me from helicopter school (landing helos) which was a big wish of mine.
That stinks about the color blind but I would get a second opinion. There have been a lot of issues with the equipment at MEPS where their opinions were overturned later. I am in the CG and am amazed everyday the training they have sent me to or have paid for. In 5 years I probably have 150-180 college credits, most coming from schools they have sent me to such as AC&R (6 weeks, 8 hours a day) which I could get out today and either start my own business or be a technician anywhere I go. Diesel schools, hydraulics, anything mechanical related they have sent me to a school for it ranging from 1 week to 6 weeks not including my original "A" school training. In two weeks I am going to a 38 day leadership school worth 12 college credits, all paid for by them, with me getting paid. Heck, they even sent me to Las Vegas for a week a couple of weeks ago for a conference.

The technical ratings in the Navy are much more specialized than the Coast Guard. The job I do is comprised of several ratings in the Navy.
I work Logistics in the Air Force. If I could do it all over again, I would have been more firm about my job before signing the papers. I would have been more persistent with the Computers route... or Public Affairs.

Like another user stated, asking yourself "What would transition into civilian better?" is critical.

Logistics will of course transfer, but stock numbers just aren't my cup of tea.

How much your nephew enjoys the service really depends on his job, supervisor, and co-workers... obviously the job is the most important aspect, and the only one he has somewhat control over.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  opinion on military school for ADHD teen EducationSeeker 18 3,041 10-14-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: martamarti
  Service = Credits Alpha 5 1,458 06-04-2022, 07:43 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  ACE credit for possible military enlistment? dfrecore 33 5,697 05-27-2020, 09:59 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
  Have a military education exit strategy. vetvso 26 5,585 05-07-2020, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  20% off Coopersmith for Active Military Zachcleigh 0 1,795 12-04-2019, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Zachcleigh
  AMU Reducing Military-Affiliated Master's Tuition to $250/credit (and free books) TheMaskedMutant 1 1,894 11-22-2019, 12:16 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Military Residency Requirement natshar 3 1,944 07-08-2019, 11:13 AM
Last Post: natshar
  Military waiver for residency charge at tesu Zachcleigh 4 2,304 05-09-2019, 07:59 AM
Last Post: ECH90
  TESU database of military credits? dfrecore 8 3,430 02-14-2019, 01:00 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  DraftKings Partners With VetsinTech to Offer Free Coding Training to Ex-Military Memb decimon 0 2,114 06-14-2018, 09:08 PM
Last Post: decimon