Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Military Transcript
Does anybody have any insight as to which school is the friendliest with AARTS transcripts? (AARTS is the database used to get credit for Army training) I want to get the max credits possible for my military experience. I know I can always apply at several schools and see who gives me the best results... but I just thought I could save some time if somebody has already been through this. Thanks for everybody's help... you guys are great! Smile
Being in the Navy, they use the SMART system. You can basically see which colleges take which credits and then go on from there. You should look in eArmyU program if it's avaliabel there. If not, talk to your base educational officer. TESC usually takes the most credits but it all depends on what you want to do.
[COLOR="DimGray"]Intro to World Religions 68
Social Science and History 60
Principles of Statistics 60
Western Civilization I 58
Intro to Sociology 55
Astronomy 54
Technical Writing 54
Humanities 50
College Composition 50[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]C Programming - C
Electronic Instrumentation and Control - A
War and American Society - A
International Economics - A
Calculus II - B[/COLOR]
Excelsior has been very good about accepting my Air Force technical school credits, so I imagine credits earned from your Army training would be treated similarly. The only potential difference I can think of is that the Community College of the Air Force is a regionally accredited institution, which might affect the acceptance of some courses. Don't really know for sure though.

I'm biased, but my research says to stick with Excelsior.

Regarding B&M schools, you may want to search for schools that participate in the AU-ABC program, which is a program to turn a two-year CCAF degree into a Bachelors. I realize you are Army, however I imagine such schools would be more military credit friendly overall.
Pursuing B.S. in Liberal Studies through Excelsior
A.A.S. in Allied Health, Community College of the Air Force
A.A.S. in Criminal Justice, Community College of the Air Force

Abnormal Psychology (B)
ECE Gerontology (B)
Drug & Alcohol Abuse (57 - A)
Here's to Your Health (58 - A)
Intro Sociology (71)

Awaiting scores:
ECE Ethics
[/SIZE]
Thanks guys... I'm almost set on Excelsior, but I have a couple more things I want to accomplish before enrolling.

Unfortunately I don't have a Base Education Officer here in Iraq... just an AF girl that proctors the exams.

Thank goodness for IC Forums! You guys are basically my Base Ed. Officers. Smile

Ken
I am currentlly enrolled at TESC, so I will tell you a little about them. They only allow a max of 27 free electives(which I am guessing most of your Army schooling will go too). Excelsior accepts up to 60 applied professional credits (which is the equalivent of TESC free electives is most cases). For us military members, overall, I would recommend Excelsior. I enjoy going to TESC, however in you have alot of Army schooling then you will end up losing valuable credits. Plus Excelsior's Military program is more versatile then TESC's.
A.A.S Aviation Operations (Community College of the Air Force) April 2008
B.A. in History (Thomas Edison State College) March 2009

"To achieve the possible we must attempt the impossible, to be as much as we can be then we must dream of being more."
Just my two cents here...

Maximizing your college credit for military training is dependent upon a couple of factors. The big one being, how relevant is your training to the major you want to pursue? For example, military police would probably have more college credit applied to a Criminal Justice degree than say a History degree.

If it isn't being applied directly to your major, military credit is usually dumped into the Applied Professional credit. This is usually used as free electives. Each one of the big three will handle these differently, again dependent on what kind of degree you have in mind.

1) Excelsior College: The B.S. in Liberal Arts is one of the most flexible degree programs imaginable. Up to 60 credits can be applied professional credit. 9 of these credits must be upper level. In my experience, the majority of military credit tends to be lower level. Worst case scenario, you have a max of 51 credits that you can net for your military training.

2) Thomas Edison: Thomas Edison is where you really want to be majoring in something related to your military credit. Otherwise, their B.A. in Liberal Arts has the most potential for credit. 27 free electives are allowed for that particular degree. That is where your military credit will likely count towards.

3) Charter Oak: The B.S. in General Studies w/concentration. Charter Oak can work out better or worse than Excelsior all depending upon how you look at it. The B.S. allows a maximum of 60 credits of non-liberal arts credits. Some of the concentrations will count towards this 60 credits of non-liberal arts. Military training will also fall into the non-liberal arts category.

All 3 colleges have similar advantages:

1) All 3 have a military enrollment option. Take 12 credits with them, and recieve discounted fees. This shifts the majority of the burden of cost to the military tuition assitance.

2) No residency requirements.

3) No limit on CLEP, DSST, and Excelsior exams. All of which are free for military personnel.

There are a couple of things you need to keep in mind when making your decision. Depending upon what exactly you want a degree (or concentration) in will be the big factor. Excelsior and Charter Oak will probably give you the largest amount of credits to apply towards a degree. Which one exactly, depends a lot on what you had in mind.

For example if you were interested in a Business Administration degree, Charter Oak would probably be the best way to go. At Excelsior a Business Admin degree only allows for around 15 free electives. That is how much your military trainng would apply. At Charter Oak, you are still looking at a 60 credit cap on non-liberal arts credit. Some of the business admin concentration will also count as non-liberal arts (but some of it is liberal arts). You're more likely to get more credit with Charter Oak.

Another issue to consider is using FEMA courses for extra credit. Credit earned through FEMA will usually be applied in the same manner as miltiary credit. If you are already getting 60 credits with Excelsior for applied professional credits, FEMA courses aren't going to help you out. But they can be used to shore up the difference.

Excelsior requires the FEMA credit to be issued through Fredericks Community College for $60 a credit hour. Thomas Edison will transcript them for free if you are enrolled there, but they will compete with military credits for space. The last time I checked, Charter Oak WILL accept FEMA credits that have been credit-banked at Thomas Edison. The only stipulation is that they will NOT count credit that Fredericks Community College would also not give credit for. But for $250 for active duty to credit bank at Thomas Edison, this is something to consider. Obviously you should consult with an advisor from each of the schools concerning the use fo FEMA credits before making any decisions.

GRE Subject Exams: You can use these at both Excelsior and Charter Oak. Excelsior will award from 3-30 credits depending on your score. To earn the full 30 credits you must score an 80% or higher on the exam. Charter Oak has the easier requirement: a score of 40%. Charter Oak will reward 18 credits for the Literature and Psychology exams. 24 credits for the others. Even if there isn't a GRE that would apply directly to your major or concentration, GRE Subject Exams can be a great way to fill up those college credit requirments.

Lastly there is the issue of TECEP exams. As an enrolled student at Thomas Edison you pay 1/2 the cost that non-students pay in order to take one. $75 a credit versus $150 a credit. All three schools will accept TECEP for credit though. Not free like CLEP, DSST, and Excelsior exams; but there are a few subjects covered by TECEP that aren't by the rest. Something to keep in mind.

There are a lot of things that will play into how much credit you will recieve for military training.

Did you have a specific degree in mind?
[SIZE="1"]CLEP exams passed:
Management, Accounting, Marketing, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics

DSST exams passed:
Human Resources Management, Organizational Behavior, Statistics, Management Information Systems

Earned:
B.A. in Business Administration: Technology Management from Saint Leo University

M.S. in Leadership: Business Ethics from Duquesne University [/SIZE]
peacfulchaos2001 Wrote:I am currentlly enrolled at TESC, so I will tell you a little about them. They only allow a max of 27 free electives(which I am guessing most of your Army schooling will go too). Excelsior accepts up to 60 applied professional credits (which is the equalivent of TESC free electives is most cases). For us military members, overall, I would recommend Excelsior. I enjoy going to TESC, however in you have alot of Army schooling then you will end up losing valuable credits. Plus Excelsior's Military program is more versatile then TESC's.

Not true. TESC accepted over 70 credits for my degree. Nuclear Engineering Technology
[COLOR="DimGray"]Intro to World Religions 68
Social Science and History 60
Principles of Statistics 60
Western Civilization I 58
Intro to Sociology 55
Astronomy 54
Technical Writing 54
Humanities 50
College Composition 50[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]C Programming - C
Electronic Instrumentation and Control - A
War and American Society - A
International Economics - A
Calculus II - B[/COLOR]
Can't speak for the other schools since I am enrolled @ Excelsior. But very happy with how much credit I received from them.
Excelsior accepted 58 credits from from my 91C course licensed practical nurse,(91W20 now).
When I am not studying - https://youtu.be/C-kk8xa0BLQ

MS in Public Health at SNHU in progress. Expected Grad Date - August 2017

Hardstyle Kettlebell Certified -2014, Ice Chamber Kettlebell Sport Certified - 2015

NCSF Personal Trainer -2010

Done! BS in LIBERAL STUDIES From Excelsior. Conferral Date - Dec 18, 2009!

Licensed Practical Nurse - 1996

Completed!
Military - 58 credits
Traditional - 12 credits
Clep - 21 credits
Excelsior Exams - Organizational Behavior(B), World Population (A), Ethics (A), Cultural Diversity (B),Psychology of A&A (A), Gerontology (B)
DSST -Drugs & Alcohol (A), Civil War (A), Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union (A), Social Psychology (A)
Penn Foster- Info Lit (passed)
larry7crys Wrote:Not true. TESC accepted over 70 credits for my degree. Nuclear Engineering Technology

Thats understable. That why I said MOST of his credits will go to free electives. It all depends on his major. If you were to change from a concentraion other than Nuclear Engineering Technology then TESC would take 27 and put it toward free electives.
A.A.S Aviation Operations (Community College of the Air Force) April 2008
B.A. in History (Thomas Edison State College) March 2009

"To achieve the possible we must attempt the impossible, to be as much as we can be then we must dream of being more."
Charter Oak took most of mine. Didn't take my Physical Fitness credits. Big let down. usually the location the test administrator gives the test should have some info. I know al asad and TQ both have poorly run Army education centers. Every once and a while you can find a few people that will have some usefull information for you. I'd reccomend asking around there if you have one. Charter Oak offers a military discount which probably is the same as in state tuition if not a little less. Unfortunately I'm not sure if TA will pay for the matriculation fee.
[CHARTER OAK
English Composition W/Essay 56
Clep Freshman College Comp. 61
Clep Information Systems and Computer Applications 58
Dsst Intro to the not so modern middle east 45
intro to sociology 65
Intro to Psychology 71Smile
U.S. History 1 50
Ethics in America 78!Smile

3 Tests Left
Astronomy
Humanities or Art of the Western World
Principals of Public Speaking

In the military? take as many as fast as you can. You don't pay for them. Doesn't matter if you fail them. If you fail try again with another Test Provider. (DSST CLEP ECE) If you fail Humanities Try Art of the Western World.

NEED A STUDY GUIDE?
PM me or Email me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  opinion on military school for ADHD teen EducationSeeker 18 2,934 10-14-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: martamarti
  ACE credit for possible military enlistment? dfrecore 33 5,583 05-27-2020, 09:59 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
  Have a military education exit strategy. vetvso 26 5,539 05-07-2020, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  20% off Coopersmith for Active Military Zachcleigh 0 1,776 12-04-2019, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Zachcleigh
  AMU Reducing Military-Affiliated Master's Tuition to $250/credit (and free books) TheMaskedMutant 1 1,878 11-22-2019, 12:16 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Military Residency Requirement natshar 3 1,925 07-08-2019, 11:13 AM
Last Post: natshar
  Military waiver for residency charge at tesu Zachcleigh 4 2,259 05-09-2019, 07:59 AM
Last Post: ECH90
  TESU database of military credits? dfrecore 8 3,360 02-14-2019, 01:00 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  DraftKings Partners With VetsinTech to Offer Free Coding Training to Ex-Military Memb decimon 0 2,092 06-14-2018, 09:08 PM
Last Post: decimon
  The most Military/Veteran friendly College Commencements! Life Long Learning 42 8,780 06-07-2018, 07:18 PM
Last Post: ShotoJuku