Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Excelsior Info... and they have outstanding admissions counselors...
Wow, I spoke to Emily today and I had about 12 questions. She absolutely nailed every one of them without hesitation. I'm really impressed with Excelsior's customer service right now. A lot of my questions were really specific about transferring credits and the nature of enrollment fees. For anyone who could use this information, here you go...

For Liberal Studies...

-Every student needs to take Information Literacy (1 credit, $315.) If you are a general degree major, you need only this. If you choose to major in a subject (or double major), you need to also take the Writing and Research course (1 credit, $315.) So if you major in a Liberal Arts subject, put aside $630.

-If you pay the $395 enrollment fee, you need to take at least 20 credits (over $6,000) from Excelsior. If you pay the $895 enrollment fee, you can use as many transfer credits, DSST, CLEP, and GRE as you want. You'll just have to take the required classes stated above.

-Understand that each degree requires a new enrollment fee and a new graduation fee. A double major is considered one degree, but if you want a degree in both Liberal Studies and Business, you'll have to get one, then pay a second enrollment fee, and a second graduation fee, for the other. Likewise, an Associate's degree is considered a separate degree, so if you are planning to get a Bachelor's degree, it's probably not worth paying between ($1,000 and $1,500) to get your Associate's, which will become irrelevant once you get your Bachelor's. Of course, everyone's situation is different, and if it's going to be years in between degrees, maybe you want the Associate's for now.

-You don't have to pay the graduation fee until you are ready for your degree.

-As I understand it, if you are doing a major then you are getting a B.S. You can't do a major with a B.A.
Check out previous posts on Penn Foster and Information Literacy, to save more money.

Can anyone post about the other requirement, Writing and Research, whether or not there's a way to save there?
daniellevine Wrote:-As I understand it, if you are doing a major then you are getting a B.S. You can't do a major with a B.A.

This is not accurate. An EC student can absolutely earn a major as part of the Bachelor of Arts degree.

The Liberal Arts Catalog clearly explains that the Bachelor of Arts has the option of having a major (page 24 of the current edition). The section entitled Guidelines for the Majors states "These guidelines, established by the Excelsior College faculty, define core requirements for major(s) in a specific subject area or areas in either a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science degree program" (page 27 of the current edition).

In addition, although I didn't see it specifically stated in the Liberal Arts Catalog (but I certainly could have overlooked it), the Undergraduate Enrollment Form clearly outlines that the Criminal Justice major is the only Liberal Arts major that is restricted to the Bachelor of Science. Any other Liberal Arts major can be applied toward either a Bachelor of Science or a Bachelor of Arts.
That is correct....You can receive a BA degree with a major
Set yourself goals, not limitations
MaieJaie Wrote:This is not accurate. An EC student can absolutely earn a major as part of the Bachelor of Arts degree.

The Liberal Arts Catalog clearly explains that the Bachelor of Arts has the option of having a major (page 24 of the current edition). The section entitled Guidelines for the Majors states "These guidelines, established by the Excelsior College faculty, define core requirements for major(s) in a specific subject area or areas in either a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science degree program" (page 27 of the current edition).

In addition, although I didn't see it specifically stated in the Liberal Arts Catalog (but I certainly could have overlooked it), the Undergraduate Enrollment Form clearly outlines that the Criminal Justice major is the only Liberal Arts major that is restricted to the Bachelor of Science. Any other Liberal Arts major can be applied toward either a Bachelor of Science or a Bachelor of Arts.

Hmmm... not sure why she told me this. Possibly I misunderstood what she was saying. Thanks for the info.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,496 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Unofficial DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, etc dcan 43 27,073 08-17-2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: elenlushk
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,837 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,183 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,948 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,295 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 965 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Excelsior annual fees homeschoolmom1 1 1,270 07-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Photo Shmoop Excelsior Evaluations In ReyMysterioso 0 1,778 06-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,234 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning