Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Most affordable degree(s)?
Question 
I'm super excited to find this forum. I found BAin4weeks back when the GRE exams were still widely accepted, but I didn't have the money then to follow the plan. After the GREs were dropped, I thought that cheap/easy degrees were done for. I'm excited to find out that's not the case.

I currently find myself in need of a bachelor's degree. (It doesn't really matter what.) Unfortunately, I currently have no credits to transfer from anywhere (I am planning to grab the free credits from Sophia ASAP, though). I've been reading forum posts and looking over the wiki and a lot of the degree plans are outdated and/or have no costs listed.

Ideally, I'd like to get a degree for less than $5k. Is this something that's even possible now? If not, what is most likely to be the least expensive degree(s) these days?
Yes, the cheapest would be the BA in Liberal Studies at TESU, or perhaps the BA in General Studies from COSC if you work fast.

TESU:
$332 grad fee.
$1800 residency waiver.
$1098 capstone.
$75 app fee.
Possibly 1-2 TECEPs to get enrolled/stay enrolled at $117 each.

And then fill it with a lot of the cheapest credits... SL, Saylor, CLEP through Modern States, Shmoop if you work somewhat fast, and Study.com through the scholarship.

And some people can get free/cheap credits because of military affiliate, living in CA, or using the Pell Grant.

We're almost positive the prices will go up after June 30th, and we aren't sure how much. It's probably possible to keep it under $5k if someone really went for the cheapest credits.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • HAYDENTREE77
Apply for study.com guardian scholarship. So many get accepted. Google search.

I'm pretty sure you can knock out the bulk of a degree with SL and Study.com alone.

Good luck!

BSBA at TESU is usually the fastest. It could probably be done in 6 months to a year.
It all depends on you though. Motivation and time organization will help
TESU BSBA (Dual Degree)
Computer Information Systems
General Management

Completed June 2017

For those wondering:
CIS AOS-
TEEX- Bus for IT + IT Professional = 4 UL
Study.com- Digital Marketing = 3 UL
University- Hardware Support Esentials = 4 LL C
Ed4credit- MIS = 3 UL C
SL- C++ Programming 4 UL
CSU Global - System Analysis & Design = 3 C

Gen Man AOS-
Study.com- HRM, Digital Marketing,
SL - Cost Accounting, Managerial Accounting, Organzitional Behavior.
DAU- Contact Administration, Defense Procurement Management

[-] The following 1 user Likes yb1's post:
  • slmartin
the cheapest degree would be whatever you could do with just CLEPs or Saylor or Shmoop, then the capstone. Prob BA in Lit or English, I would imagine, but I bet History comes close.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

English requires the Non-Western Lit course which has not been found for under $680 or so.

Charter Oak still awards credit for graduate subject exams: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...m-list.pdf
(03-15-2018, 07:51 PM)Ideas Wrote: Yes, the cheapest would be the BA in Liberal Studies at TESU, or perhaps the BA in General Studies from COSC if you work fast.

TESU:
$332 grad fee.
$1800 residency waiver.
$1098 capstone.
$75 app fee.
Possibly 1-2 TECEPs to get enrolled/stay enrolled at $117 each.

And then fill it with a lot of the cheapest credits... SL, Saylor, CLEP through Modern States, Shmoop if you work somewhat fast, and Study.com through the scholarship.

And some people can get free/cheap credits because of military affiliate, living in CA, or using the Pell Grant.

We're almost positive the prices will go up after June 30th, and we aren't sure how much. It's probably possible to keep it under $5k if someone really went for the cheapest credits.

I do intend to hopefully complete the degree before the end of the year, so speed isn't (as much of) a problem, but I'm not sold on Charter Oak just yet. A "university" definitely sounds better than a "college". It does potentially seem to be a less expensive way to go, though. I'll have to think about that, thanks!

Unfortunately, I got some grants/loans for college several years ago and ended up having to drop out due to personal reasons, so I don't think I'm eligible for more Federal money at this time.

(03-15-2018, 07:52 PM)yb1 Wrote: Apply for study.com guardian scholarship. So many get accepted. Google search.

I'm pretty sure you can knock out the bulk of a degree with SL and Study.com alone.

Good luck!

BSBA at TESU is usually the fastest. It could probably be done in 6 months to a year.
It all depends on you though. Motivation and time organization will help

That Study.com scholarship is great, I'll definitely be applying for that. And I like the idea of a BSBA better than a generic degree. That could be the way to go.
I think the BSBA can take 1-3 months longer than the BALS if you don't already know some of the material. I'm not sure but I think it may be $400+ more.

(03-15-2018, 08:18 PM)Ideas Wrote: English requires the Non-Western Lit course which has not been found for under $680 or so.

you can't do History without Historical Methods, which you have to take as a "real" class too. Most degrees have a requirement like that now, I know Psych and Business both do

So basically you're looking at the capstone + 1 extra required class for most of them, from what I see. if you can do the rest of the degree on Shmoop or Saylor or whatever, you're saving a ton
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Aw, you gotta take a real class for business? That's a shame.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,226 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,872 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,360 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,681 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,894 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,784 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,030 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,971 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,337 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,695 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero