Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motivations behind multiple degrees
Hey All!

Just curious why some of us have multiple bachelor degrees...I've seen some pursue a second degree after obtaining one already, etc. Is it regret? Enjoyment? Change of occupation? Professional student mentality? 

Dabbling with the idea of a double major, so would love to hear your thoughts and insight!

Thanks!

Danielle
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
@CarpeDiem8 I think a lof of people try to knock out a degree quickly to 'check the box', then take their time and earn one they reall want.

In my case I knocked out the BALS in about a year then took my time with the CS degree....So I ended up with a double major.

Even though I finished these two...Right now I'm considering earning another degree in Mathematics at TESU or AMU and Electrical Engineering at Arizona State or AMU since I always wanted them.....

Its a lot of reasons but most people realize the BALS dosent open as much doors as a specific major will and some now that they have the 'check the box' degree behind them will take their time and focus on what they want.

I would love to hear what others have to say...
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 2 users Like armstrongsubero's post:
  • CarpeDiem8, suzycupcake
My work pays for my degrees so i'm not leaving money on the table Smile
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 4 users Like jsd's post:
  • CarpeDiem8, hsfamfun, Nixi, suzycupcake
When I did my first degree, I thought I just wanted a quick degree with a lot of testing out, and then I would stop. Business degrees were easier at the time and I also find business topics pretty interesting and sort of easy.

But I ended up taking some regular online classes due to the Pell Grant and enjoyed them pretty well, in addition to enjoying most test out courses. So now I am going for the degree that I feel suits me best. (After first getting a grad degree. I wanted one fast for the income boost and other reasons.)

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • CarpeDiem8
May I ask if it also helps to have multiple degrees/double majors if looking towards a specialized masters degree next as well or not so much? I know it depends on the program and school, but wondering what (generally speaking) helps us to get into MA programs from the Big 3, especially since loads of our transcripts are pass/fail grading.
Multiple degrees is a different ballgame, but doing a double-major is a great bang-for-your-buck proposition if you plan it well and don't have many pre-existing credits that don't fit. For few to no extra courses, you can have two subjects that you can truthfully say you have a degree in.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • CarpeDiem8
@CarpeDiem8 It depends on the field. For example if I wanted to do a masters in EE or Mechanical Engineering a double major from TESU in Mathematics and Computer Science will give you a good chance, since these fields are math intensive.

If I wanted a masters in humantities or something it wont matter much.

Having a double major also shows a grad school that you're dedicated and can undertake the work given to you, it can also help you meet pre reqs.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 2 users Like armstrongsubero's post:
  • CarpeDiem8, suzycupcake
(07-05-2019, 07:20 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Multiple degrees is a different ballgame, but doing a double-major is a great bang-for-your-buck proposition if you plan it well and don't have many pre-existing credits that don't fit. For few to no extra courses, you can have two subjects that you can truthfully say you have a degree in.

Right, I can see that for CS + Math, sure!

But something like Communications + Psychology would be more work I'd imagine since neither have courses that overlap in the AOS.
(07-05-2019, 09:35 PM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote:
(07-05-2019, 07:20 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Multiple degrees is a different ballgame, but doing a double-major is a great bang-for-your-buck proposition if you plan it well and don't have many pre-existing credits that don't fit. For few to no extra courses, you can have two subjects that you can truthfully say you have a degree in.

Right, I can see that for CS + Math, sure!

But something like Communications + Psychology would be more work I'd imagine since neither have courses that overlap in the AOS.
If you plan it right, you should be able to do Psych and Comm with no extra credits required, though it depends what you already have
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • CarpeDiem8
(07-05-2019, 09:58 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: If you plan it right, you should be able to do Psych and Comm with no extra credits required, though it depends what you already have

Ok, thank you for letting me know that I misunderstand the double major requirements. I will have to take another look. You rock!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will online degrees become worthless because of AI? blablablox 2 43 52 minutes ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Associate degrees??? midnite123 10 604 04-03-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  UVEG - Inexpensive Official Degrees in Mexico bjcheung77 13 1,772 03-28-2024, 03:30 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 731 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,719 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Inexpensive Certificates, Diplomas, Degrees bjcheung77 1 443 02-20-2024, 01:13 AM
Last Post: mancheseter24
  Futurelearn has BA degrees in Marketing & Design for 13k USD. Masters for 7k USD. nyvrem 1 263 02-16-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How others think of college degrees... bjcheung77 5 570 12-31-2023, 02:27 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Why degree mills center so hard in post-graduate degrees? elcastor21 7 950 12-08-2023, 06:56 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Do extended level 6 diploma's from the UK get evaluated as Bachelor degrees in the US Pinko64 3 597 11-02-2023, 12:01 AM
Last Post: Pinko64