Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Music theory
Is there any other cheap provider for music theory for credit other than the AP exam?
(06-24-2018, 07:43 PM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: Is there any other cheap provider for music theory for credit other than the AP exam?

Does it have to be music theory? Would an Art or Theatre credit work? Which program are you attempting to apply the credit to?
The only thing that jumps out at me in the ACE database is Penn Foster. I can't find a way to get my results link to populate here, but if you go into the database and type "music" in the "course title" box, you'll see the results. http://www2.acenet.edu/credit/?fuseactio...rchResults
what about

https://www.excelsior.edu/exams/introduction-to-music
Intro to Music - UExcel
Music History II - TECEP
The Music of the Orthodox Jew from Antiquity through the 20th Century - Coopersmith
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thanks for all your responses. I am trying to apply it to the Gen Ed requirement at COSC. I forgot what the category is called, but it included Art or Music. So Art History and such would work, but our son is good at piano and enjoys music theory and does not particularly like art. Having said that, he might be able to power through an art class if it is either easy or enjoyable or both. Maybe theater would work, but I did not see any cheap credits for that. He likes making stop motion movies and drawing manga. So I thought that he might enjoy Film Studies at Shmoop, but I am not sure if that would fulfill this requirement. I am sure Art History at Shmoop would fulfill it, but I would have to see if it is too "shmoopy" and painful. The UExcel Intro to Music might be a good option. The AP Music theory has two things going against it: The singing component and having to go to a test center/school in person. Thanks again.
(06-25-2018, 10:23 AM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: Thanks for all your responses. I am trying to apply it to the Gen Ed requirement at COSC. I forgot what the category is called, but it included Art or Music. So Art History and such would work, but our son is good at piano and enjoys music theory and does not particularly like art. Having said that, he might be able to power through an art class if it is either easy or enjoyable or both. Maybe theater would work, but I did not see any cheap credits for that. He likes making stop motion movies and drawing manga. So I thought that he might enjoy Film Studies at Shmoop, but I am not sure if that would fulfill this requirement. I am sure Art History at Shmoop would fulfill it, but I would have to see if it is too "shmoopy" and painful. The UExcel Intro to Music might be a good option. The AP Music theory has two things going against it: The singing component and having to go to a test center/school in person. Thanks again.

My oldest son took guitar lessons at our local CC with the MUS prefix. Maybe your local CC has piano?
For the COSC "Literature and Fine Arts" section you the A&I Lit or Humanities clep through modern states. The bad part is going to a test center. The good part is no singing is allowed : )
CLEP
Natural Sciences -Social Sciences -US History I -Intro Psychology -Human Growth and Development -Humanities -A&I Lit -College Math
DSST
Organizational Behavior -Human Resources Management -Ethics in America -Business Ethics and Society -Technical Writing -Substance Abuse
ECE
Organizational Behavior -Human Resources Management -Labor Relations -Psychology of Adulthood and Aging -Abnormal Psychology -Social Psychology -Foundations of Gerontology-Research Methods in Psychology-Contemporary Mathematics
Kaplan
Prior Learning Assessment
Maybe Sophia's Greek philosophers would work?
I forgot about that one. They may still have that "phoenixhalf" promo so the course would only cost $75.50
CLEP
Natural Sciences -Social Sciences -US History I -Intro Psychology -Human Growth and Development -Humanities -A&I Lit -College Math
DSST
Organizational Behavior -Human Resources Management -Ethics in America -Business Ethics and Society -Technical Writing -Substance Abuse
ECE
Organizational Behavior -Human Resources Management -Labor Relations -Psychology of Adulthood and Aging -Abnormal Psychology -Social Psychology -Foundations of Gerontology-Research Methods in Psychology-Contemporary Mathematics
Kaplan
Prior Learning Assessment

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abandoned Hymns Bring New Life to Our Christian Worship Music from Olivet University jacobmark 0 415 08-26-2022, 04:59 PM
Last Post: jacobmark
  Credit-by-exam For Music Degree JimmyNeutron 11 2,611 03-30-2021, 06:07 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  British Music Diplomas KayV 2 1,526 12-22-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: Seagull
Music Music History TECEP TexasTink 4 1,494 02-11-2019, 08:04 PM
Last Post: TexasTink
  Goal: Music Teacher cookderosa 13 4,642 11-03-2018, 04:18 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Looking to get 6 credits in Foreign Language or Art/Music Credit to graduate in May dg1996 5 1,919 04-15-2018, 12:01 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BA in Music from TESU: Feedback on PLAs, TECEPs, LearningCounts, etc. strawberrygreen 13 2,964 09-02-2016, 06:45 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  TESC Organizational theory / Organizational development and change requirement Can219 9 1,433 05-09-2016, 03:13 PM
Last Post: JLS81
  TESC Organizational Theory PSY-360 Feedback? Can219 0 512 03-10-2014, 11:18 PM
Last Post: Can219
  Penn Foster Art Appreciation vs Music Appreciation GoodYellowDogs 1 1,572 02-18-2014, 10:02 AM
Last Post: BrandeX