Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My First week as Advisor, need your help!
Today was my 7th day as academic advisor for XXX college. It is going to be challening but very promising.

The majority of my students are military. I was surprised with the accommodations offered to military learners that allows them to transfer a ton of elective credit. The school takes only 64 credits from ACE and Community Colleges combined and 30 Credits by Examination (CLEP, Dantes, ECE, TECEP). There is no mention of upper level or lower level, however the students are required to take 60 credits from a 4 year institution (CLEP and DDST counts as 4 year credit) 30 of which need to be from our school. So technically you can SL and CLEP up to 94 credit hours, leaving you with 30 credits to complete in residence.

I was very happy to learn that we take PF at face value, without ACE, and the credits count as part of the 60 needed from a 4 year institution Smile we just treat PF as any other RA school! that is awesome!

I want to help my learners maximize their transfer credits so they can graduate. Retention is a key issue we need to improve. While most of my military learners know about CLEP and DSST, they don't take full advantage of them and none of the civilians I have talked to so far have ever heard about CLEP/Dantes or ACE. I finished my degree without using testing, I relied heavily on PF and SL so I don't have first hand experience.

I would like to compile a list of tests as long as the recommended study material and I would like your input. I need to start with some gen eds.
- College Algebra
- English Comp (we take Composition w. Essay as Comp I and II)
- Speech
- US History
- Ethics in America

I would really appreciate your feedback on recommended material and study strategies for those tests!

Very respectfully Smile

Perico
As far as study material for each different CLEP & DSST, free-clep-prep has numerous suggested study resources for each exam.

College Composition CLEP Study Guide - Free-Clep-Prep.com
BA in Social Science-TESC
Arnold Fletcher Award

[h=1]“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” ~Thomas Edison[/h]
^^I second Free-Clep-Prep. There are stickies on this forum that provide excellent resources.

Peterson is my favorite. They provide 3 tests for all Clep/Dsst examines. There are also E-books on many subject.
Clep- Human Growth and Development, Intro to Psychology, Intro to Sociology, College Math
Aleks -Inter. Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry, Intro to Statistic
Fema - 5.
Total: 32
perriquit Wrote:Today was my 7th day as academic advisor for XXX college. It is going to be challening but very promising.

The majority of my students are military. I was surprised with the accommodations offered to military learners that allows them to transfer a ton of elective credit. The school takes only 64 credits from ACE and Community Colleges combined and 30 Credits by Examination (CLEP, Dantes, ECE, TECEP). There is no mention of upper level or lower level, however the students are required to take 60 credits from a 4 year institution (CLEP and DDST counts as 4 year credit) 30 of which need to be from our school. So technically you can SL and CLEP up to 94 credit hours, leaving you with 30 credits to complete in residence.

I was very happy to learn that we take PF at face value, without ACE, and the credits count as part of the 60 needed from a 4 year institution Smile we just treat PF as any other RA school! that is awesome!

I want to help my learners maximize their transfer credits so they can graduate. Retention is a key issue we need to improve. While most of my military learners know about CLEP and DSST, they don't take full advantage of them and none of the civilians I have talked to so far have ever heard about CLEP/Dantes or ACE. I finished my degree without using testing, I relied heavily on PF and SL so I don't have first hand experience.

I would like to compile a list of tests as long as the recommended study material and I would like your input. I need to start with some gen eds.
- College Algebra
- English Comp (we take Composition w. Essay as Comp I and II)
- Speech
- US History
- Ethics in America

I would really appreciate your feedback on recommended material and study strategies for those tests!

Very respectfully Smile

Perico

IC Of course!! Seriously, we have an amazing pass rate here. it would be my first suggestion. Second for me is the REA book series. They don't offer online study, but they offer CDs as an option. Options 1 and 2 are for the highly motivated. For the slightly less diligent, I'd have them complete one of the courses at Saylor.org. I've been using these this year in my family as well as in my virtual online study group- they are really good and have an interesting mix of multi-media learning. (free)
anyway you can state the school? I'm active duty and have taken 31 exams and passed all 31. Wondering where I can maximize my potential...
07-12-2010 College Composition 11-08-2010 Introduction to Business 07-05-2012 Analyzing and Interpreting Literature 07-24-2012 Information Systems and Computer Applications07-24-2012 Principles of Management07-26-2012 Principles of Marketing 10-18-2012 Introduction to Computing 11-01-2012 Here's to Your Health 12-04-2012 Principles of Supervision 12-20-2012 Introductory Sociology 01-03-2013 Human Resources Management
01-08-2013 Introduction to Educational Psychology 02-14-2013 Organizational Behavior
Which exams do you already have completed, Sierraecho? 31 taken and passed should put you pretty close to a degree. I see your first 13 in your signature line, but what are the others?
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
perriquit Wrote:...Today was my 7th day as academic advisor for XXX college...

[COLOR="#000080"]
Triple-X (XXX) College - how do I enroll??!!
[/COLOR] :reddevil: Wink
[COLOR="#FF0000"]
(Sorry - I couldn't resist!)[/COLOR]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
Sounds like Thomas Edison State College. They accepted my 114 credits combined community college/clep/dsst/fema
CLEP
Spanish Language 75
American Gov't 52
A&I Literature 66
Prin. Management 67

DSST
Substance Abuse 453
Prin. of Supervision 450
Organizational Beh. 63
Fund. of Counseling 61

8 FEMA credits
Perriquit,
You'll find the answers for each exam through the exam specific resources through instantcert (Link below) It takes a bit of research on each exam probably took me about 2 hours research for U.S History 1 it costs 14.95 for the first month so you should be able to do all those Gen eds in a month of research. I'm currently working on U.S History II at the moment although very slowly I'm in two classes at Excelsior while working two other jobs. you can always refer your prospective students here to the forum. I've talked to tons of students who've never heard of testing out, or even worse seem to think that it isn't really an achievement worth going after. I have put some stuff up on my blog regarding U.S History 1 but haven't had time in many months to get round to updating what I've done to pass the exam.
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
As an advisor, you should know that there isn't one answer for everybody. Different people need different answers.

The InstantCert flashcards are the right answer for some. They are not right for others. Different people, different learning styles, different needs.

Even with the same person, the right answer may change depending on the circumstances. Does the person just need to pass? Or does the person need to make a high score to get a good letter grade? Does the person need a solid foundation in the subject or is it just to fulfill a distribution requirement? Is the person interested in the subject?

A popular alternative to InstantCert is the REA series of CLEP preparation books. They greatly vary in quality tending to be better in the social sciences.

Khan Academy, YouTube, and iTunes are good for those who need audio or audiovisual learning.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,697 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Online course / hours per week katsiki 6 1,013 03-31-2022, 09:26 AM
Last Post: katsiki
  Studying on a Schedule, week by week RedBeardVII 11 1,310 10-03-2021, 11:05 AM
Last Post: wow
  Excelsior advisor mistake dfwdegree 9 1,438 06-12-2020, 06:31 PM
Last Post: darthweezy
  AP2 in 2 week? 2L8 2 841 11-10-2019, 07:34 PM
Last Post: 2L8
  TESU - Best Academic Advisor? Toastmaster 14 3,496 10-12-2018, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Toastmaster
  Economics is so last week Maniac Craniac 12 2,801 08-30-2016, 08:59 PM
Last Post: RANSOMSOUL
  HELP NEEDED:Can I prepare for the Bio CLEP in one week? How? What pacing/ scheduling? jgbenjamin 4 1,471 02-10-2016, 12:08 PM
Last Post: DBRENNAN118
  Should I challenge my Advisor at EC? My advisor is making me take a UEXCEL course. os4185 22 1,875 09-10-2015, 06:53 AM
Last Post: JTP
  Which of these DSST exams generally can be passed with just 1 week of study mcorye91 14 2,926 01-20-2015, 10:42 AM
Last Post: scribbler