Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My Journey: BA in English from TESU
(11-11-2017, 05:54 PM)originalamyj Wrote: Please post back your experience with the CLEPs!

I just took A&I Lit and English Lit. I expected A&I to be fairly easy, but it was a little quicker and easier than expected. The analysis parts of English Lit were harder and more time-consuming than I expected. The main difference was the number of questions per passage. With A&I, it seemed to average about 5 or 5.5 questions per excerpt, but with English Lit it was more like 2.5. 

And the questions for A&I seemed more like you would ask a non-English major. They varied in difficulty, but there were plenty of easy ones. With English Lit, I felt like it was more like for English majors without most of the easy ones. However, some of the non-analysis questions were fairly easy, so I think that's where they put most of the easier questions.

I still felt English Lit was about what I expected overall. I felt like they didn't ask me about many of the major authors/works I had studied, but there wasn't much that was unfamiliar. I didn't memorize many authors and works.

I also found it kind of fun taking these exams since I got to read interesting excerpts/poems. It's been a while since I did any Lit!

I plan to study about 3 times as much material for American Lit, since it doesn't have analysis (or very little of it). I don't plan to take it until May or June.

That’s super helpful! I got the Idiots Guide to American Lit which many people said was the best resource for that one.
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
I plan to do the Study.com Advanced Technical Writing quizzes tomorrow, and pick my assignment topic. Then hopefully start writing it and complete the assignment on Saturday. I'm not sure how busy I'll be tomorrow and Saturday, so I might take until Sunday, but I know occasionally grading is slow.

I'm not loving the assignment topics, but once I do the quizzes and pick a topic, I think I'll be in a better mindset to do it.

This course has a proctored exam too. The exam is 33%, the assignment is 33%, and the quizzes are 33%.

I can't find much about this course on this forum. Just a few posts which didn't say much.

I'm way behind schedule because work got out of hand. I finally finished the quizzes. I wasn't always hitting 100% on them, but I still only need 60% on the final exam and assignment. I wish we could take the exam first, so I could calculate how much I need on the assignment.

I hate doing this so quickly, but it needs to get done fast, since they could take weeks to grade the assignment. I feel like writing on the first topic would be more beneficial to me in terms of learning, but I should probably go with the second topic which will be easier and quicker for me. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the second. Part of why it's easier is they also chose a specific item for us to write about (our phone). I want to knock this out and get it submitted today, but more work keeps coming up! I hope I can get it done.

I doubt it will take weeks to grade. For the two study courses I took that had assignments it was within 5 days IIRC.

Good luck! I'm sure it will be great.

Have you tackled any Shmoop yet? I completed Bible and am in the middle of Shakespeare now. It's much slower going than study, but then again I am actually enjoying it so far because it's in my interest area.
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
(12-06-2017, 11:15 AM)originalamyj Wrote: I doubt it will take weeks to grade. For the two study courses I took that had assignments it was within 5 days IIRC.

Good luck! I'm sure it will be great.

Have you tackled any Shmoop yet? I completed Bible and am in the middle of Shakespeare now. It's much slower going than study, but then again I am actually enjoying it so far because it's in my interest area.

I searched and some people said it took over 2 weeks. I was worried that they would be busier because of people trying to finish the courses that are losing UL. There are quite a few losing UL. But many of them don't have assignments anyway Smile

I did Bible about 6 months ago. I already had a Shmoop membership to get math and history courses done. I started Shakespeare (and the Drugs course, and maybe one other) back then, and got frustrated. That was before I planned to do an English degree, so it was optional and I was less motivated. I was trying to get credits fast.

Study.com has it posted that they grade the assignment within a week Smile

I have most of it done, but I need to pad my writing to meet the length requirements!

I already got my grade Smile If anyone else is doing this assignment, I can give a few tips, now that I got my feedback. They could have made 2 or 3 things more clear. But I'm looking forward to getting the exam done and getting my ACE transcript to TESU. Overall, the course was a little boring, but full of lots of types of information. I knew about half the content already, but anyone who doesn't know that material should learn it. It was somewhat long (for a course that also has an exam and assignment), 116 quizzes with a few more lessons that didn't have quizzes.

The Study.com Adv Tech Writing exam was easier than I expected. I felt like most of the hard ones from the quizzes weren't there. I was only aiming for a B on the exam anyway. (I guess I could have gotten a D.)

Study.com is taking a while to approve at ACE.

I feel motivated to do more English credits, but I can't until I'm enrolled in the degree! The next thing I do might be in early May!

Ideas, thank you for writing about your journey. Smile I will continue to follow your thread as I start my TESU journey as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kev's post:
  • Ideas

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 258 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,157 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 568 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch