Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My Journey: BA in English from TESU
Upon reading an old post by rlw74, it would be too risky for me to do books from different cultures/continents. They seem to count that as World Lit which doesn't count as Non-Western Lit.

As far as Shmoop UL courses, I'm planning to do:
Shakespeare's Plays
Modernist Lit
Women's Lit

And if I can pass those, so I can skip these other UL courses:
Holocaust Lit
Literature in the Media

I think I already scored low on one or two Shakespeare's Plays quizzes, last Spring, so hopefully I can do it. Some people are saying that's the easiest Lit course at Shmoop besides the "Bible as Lit" course Sad Certainly the easiest UL. I was tired at the time since I'd just struggled through ALEKS Statistics and Shmoop history courses.

So that's the plan, but I might skip around and see. I wonder if Holocaust Lit might be more history-based and therefore easier for me. (Kind of like the "Bible as Lit" course which is the only one of 3 that I didn't give up on). 

I hope that Women's Lit is easier for me than Shakespeare's Plays.

Now I think I'll need 2 additional LL Shmoop courses, based on https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthr...pid=250263

I better not complete Shmoop UL Lit courses, and just hope for no downgrades Sad

I'm very interested in doing all 3 of the Harvard Extension poetry courses. I just don't know if I can handle it without slowing down on my CompSci credits, but I guess I would save some Shmoop time! I will probably enroll in the first and see how it is. 2 are not until the Fall and the registration for the first starts soon.

Shmoop vs. Harvard. Haha.
[-] The following 2 users Like eriehiker's post:
  • Ideas, leland.kirk
(02-15-2018, 10:02 AM)Ideas Wrote: I'm very interested in doing all 3 of the Harvard Extension poetry courses. I just don't know if I can handle it without slowing down on my CompSci credits, but I guess I would save some Shmoop time! I will probably enroll in the first and see how it is. 2 are not until the Fall and the registration for the first starts soon.

Get them pre-planned into your degree - if they come in as EDU courses, then they won't go into the AOS.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Ideas
I am annoyed that my English degree would have to wait all the way until March 2019, because it's not a separate degree from the CompSci degree. A whole year from now.

However, I should just be glad I can do it at all! I'm really looking forward to having an English degree.

I would love to finish the English requirements in June or July. I feel like putting on my resume that I completed the requirements, and it's not confirmed because of the CompSci portion, is so much less nice than putting that the degree is confirmed.

I plan to enroll in that Harvard poetry course in April or May. (I'll check if that's too late. I think it's fine.)

I'm less concerned with speeding up the English degree. It would be nice to have sooner, but it's not going to happen. Unfortunately the CompSci is probably going to delay the Eng until June 2019 graduation.

I plan to take the English Lit CLEP in early to mid April. Or possibly before.

I might enroll at Shmoop in April. It's hard to decide. Because I'll have other things keeping me busy, so I feel like I'm wasting my membership somewhat, if I don't have enough time to dedicate to Shmoop. However, maybe it's worth spreading out. As long as I finished on UL Lit course, one LL Lit course, and then had time to do at least one other easy LL non-Lit course for fun, that's great for $88. Then later I could repeat to get the final 2 Lit courses done, and be done with Shmoop. But, I am that overachiever type and would probably feel like I had to attempt 2 UL Lit courses and more, and I would neglect other things in my life because of the membership ticking away! I'm trying to tell myself that I want to pay Shmoop twice, and not be going quickly, so I can be less stressed during my next month-long membership.

Actually, what I need to do is start getting familiar with the books.

I believe I'm going to drop the English degree, but replace it with a Learner Designed degree in Writing/Editing/Publishing, if allowed. It shouldn't cost a lot more since I would be PLA-ing. It would certainly take more effort than Shmoop plus Chinese Poetry, but I believe it would be worthwhile for me.

In general, I think most people should go for the more general, broad degree because they want flexibility, and they can always add a certificate or two later, or a Masters. But I believe this will be right for my situation which is atypical due to health and other reasons.

I feel I already have 3 courses that would work in my LDAS, but of course I will need 21 new credits (plus capstone). I believe I can get 6 credits quickly through TECEP(s)/ACE. I would take one expensive non-self paced course, and attempt to PLA 12 credits. I think it's good plan.

I feel sure that I want to do this, but I have to think about how it fits into some other life plans for 2018-2019.

If anyone happens to know of inexpensive credit sources, that could help. I believe I've already checked all the cheap sources and many of the self-paced sources. I have also done some further research.

That’s an interesting path. Can you detail what courses you see will fulfill this path? I know I’ve seen a few technical writing options but what about editing/publishing?
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
(03-10-2018, 10:16 AM)originalamyj Wrote: That’s an interesting path. Can you detail what courses you see will fulfill this path? I know I’ve seen a few technical writing options but what about editing/publishing?

PLA of courses in TESU's database. Desktop publishing may be one. They have at least 4 editing courses. But with PLA you are not limited to their own course database anyway. I don't have specific PLA courses picked.

A lot of the technical writing ones will duplicate each other but there are at least 2.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 16 2,351 04-18-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 531 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 456 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 480 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 261 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,236 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 233 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 377 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 300 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 280 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27