Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My Journey: BA in English from TESU
"1 more new credit needed, unfortunately. I think this needs to be UL if my Non-Western is LL."

Just FYI, I did African Encounters through TESU as my non-Western requirement, which is UL, and it did not satisfy a slot for my UL electives. They just counted it as non-Western and that's it. So you'll prob need another UL one either way.

The Jane Austen course at TESU looks to be extremely easy, and it's UL, if that helps you. It's only 3 discussion forums, 3 written assignments, and a final paper.

If you find another UL English course though please let me know, I am looking for 1 more since my African course didn't come in as filling a slot
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

(12-29-2018, 12:24 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: "1 more new credit needed, unfortunately. I think this needs to be UL if my Non-Western is LL."

Just FYI, I did African Encounters through TESU as my non-Western requirement, which is UL, and it did not satisfy a slot for my UL electives. They just counted it as non-Western and that's it. So you'll prob need another UL one either way.

The Jane Austen course at TESU looks to be extremely easy, and it's UL, if that helps you. It's only 3 discussion forums, 3 written assignments, and a final paper.

If you find another UL English course though please let me know, I am looking for 1 more since my African course didn't come in as filling a slot

It doesn't make any sense that any courses you use in the Requirements area won't count as both fulfilling the requirement and UL if they are UL courses.  I would probably get something in writing from TESU, including asking that it be taken up to the Dean before I'd give up on that.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(12-29-2018, 12:24 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: "1 more new credit needed, unfortunately. I think this needs to be UL if my Non-Western is LL."

Unless the English degree is different from others, there is no UL elective requirement. Only a total UL requirement. So having the African Encounters course means you need 1 fewer UL elective than if you had taken a LL course for Non-Western.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
I'm just going by what their academic eval says about my progress. if that's wrong then all bets are off

the advisers won't be back til Jan 2nd so there's no one for me to ask til then
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

(12-29-2018, 12:24 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: The Jane Austen course at TESU looks to be extremely easy, and it's UL, if that helps you. It's only 3 discussion forums, 3 written assignments, and a final paper.

I plan to PLA a couple courses, but it will depend on the cost. I think the LearningCounts discount which sanantone found is gone. 

Did you already take the Coopersmith course? And the two Harvard Poetry? Those don't end until late May though.

no, i didnt take the Harvard poetry or the Coopersmith one either. I might check those out but tbh I would pay more money not to have to take a poetry class so it wouldn't be my first choice. I'll see what the advisers say about this UL Africa thing and go from there I guess

I talked to TESU's advising today and they said they can't count African Encounters as both a required course and an elective, so I still need 2 UL. The adviser suggested taking their other non-Western lit course, and also BYU's course. I asked about Coopersmith's Poetry course and she said she'd never heard of it so I guess that's a maybe.

I have to really say that Shmoop getting kicked messed this whole process up good and tbh if I had it to do over again I would have picked a different 2nd major for the other half of this degree.

(01-03-2019, 12:11 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: I talked to TESU's advising today and they said they can't count African Encounters as both a required course and an elective, so I still need 2 UL. The adviser suggested taking their other non-Western lit course, and also BYU's course. I asked about Coopersmith's Poetry course and she said she'd never heard of it so I guess that's a maybe.

I have to really say that Shmoop getting kicked messed this whole process up good and tbh if I had it to do over again I would have picked a different 2nd major for the other half of this degree.

Did they specifically tell you that would mean you need another UL? Because the way you seem to be understanding it (that a certain number of your ELECTIVES have to be UL) isn't how it works for most degrees.
Completed:

Up Next:

(01-03-2019, 12:11 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: I talked to TESU's advising today and they said they can't count African Encounters as both a required course and an elective, so I still need 2 UL. The adviser suggested taking their other non-Western lit course, and also BYU's course. I asked about Coopersmith's Poetry course and she said she'd never heard of it so I guess that's a maybe.

This is not what anyone here was suggesting!  We said that the UL course in the requirements area counts towards the number of UL credit needed, not that it counts in 2 areas.

I would call again and talk to someone else.  Until someone understands what you're asking.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-03-2019, 01:21 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

This is not what anyone here was suggesting!  We said that the UL course in the requirements area counts towards the number of UL credit needed, not that it counts in 2 areas.

I would call again and talk to someone else.  Until someone understands what you're asking.

To put what dfrecore is saying another way, you seem to be asking whether it can count as both Non-Western and an elective (which it can't). What you need to be asking is whether it can count as Non-Western and an UL class (NOT an UL elective), which it almost assuredly can unless there is some obscure policy that only applies to the English degree that no one here knows about (and if dfrecore doesn't know about it, it probably isn't a policy).

Here's an example of how it should be working, from my History degree plan: I'm going to take the Soviet Union DSST for my Non-Western requirement. I have confirmed with advising that it will meet that requirement. Since that is an UL course, it also means I only need to take four other UL courses (which for me will likely be three electives + historical methods). If, on the other hand, I had taken History of China at my community college (or through TESU) for my Non-Western requirement, I would need five other UL courses (Historical Methods + all 4 electives). It doesn't matter at all where my UL classes fit into the area of study, just that I have enough of them. Heck, if I could find an upper level Western Civilization I that would've meant I only needed 2 UL electives.

To put it another way, the number of UL electives you need is dependent on the number of UL courses you take for other area of study requirements. Taking an UL Non-Western class means you need fewer UL electives than if you had taken a LL Non-Western class. You'll still need the same number of total electives, but more can be LL.
Completed:

Up Next:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 16 2,308 3 hours ago
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 524 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 451 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 476 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 258 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,228 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 233 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 375 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 300 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 278 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27