Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Wife has 77 credits and just needs and Associates to get promoted. Please Help!!
Yeah most RA schools won't take the CSU credits. Clovis is willing to take them?

Maybe she could apply for the Clovis Summer scholarship because it only needs a 2.5. Summer classes are faster which I find more tolerable, and she might. But they need about twice as much time per week, since it's only half the number of weeks.

Otherwise I would try to get a loan because a promotion happening sooner makes it worthwhile.

(03-13-2018, 07:45 AM)Ideas Wrote: Yeah most RA schools won't take the CSU credits. Clovis is willing to take them?

Maybe she could apply for the Clovis Summer scholarship because it only needs a 2.5. Summer classes are faster which I find more tolerable, and she might. But they need about twice as much time per week, since it's only half the number of weeks.

Otherwise I would try to get a loan because a promotion happening sooner makes it worthwhile.

Yeah Clovis took them and my wife already took three classes there however we were told there is an 18 credit residency requirement to graduate so she needs 3 more classes from them to meet that. The 3 classes with books will cost around $2000 and we can't afford that. We thought about using our credit cards to pay for the classes but we did the math and it would better to wait the possible 6 months it would take BOG to look over her credits and hopefully get an Associates because she is guaranteed a promotion as long as she get the degree.
Ok, good that you did the math.

But why around $2000? I believe it's around $100 per credit plus $50 per course plus some smaller fees. With used or rented books, I would estimate only about $1200, especially if she picks courses with cheaper books. I've taken classes there, the used books were cheap. Oh, I believe graduation fee is only $30.

We estimated more like $1700..the last few classes she needs 1 is a 4 credit class because she needs a class with a lab and the lab kit is $150 and the book is $125 and we couldn't find a rental for under $95 then the last 2 are 3 credit classes and one is a computer class that requires 2 books with some type of software with which she has to complete as part of the homework and that kit cost $235 and we can't rent it.
Oh Sad

What about testing out of the computer class, but then taking some cheaper other class to meet the 18 credits. The school takes some CLEPs, or maybe it could be done at the super cheap Luna CC and transferred in.

Personally I felt the computer CLEP was kind of hard. It would depend on her comfort level with it. CLEPs are free through Modern States.

However maybe the BOG is easier Smile

The lab class and the computer class are required for her to graduate from Clovis no getting around them or testing out them because my wife transferred over enough credits where all she has left is the residency requirement..However using the spreadsheet in quigongene's signature it seems like all my wife would need is a computer class which she can take for free through TEEX and hope that due to her veteran status that BOG will take just 2 columbia southern courses and everything else is covered!!

So yeah we are gonna move ahead with applying to BOG and wait the 6 months it seems to be taking to process transcripts!!

THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes eliment's post:
  • Ideas
(03-13-2018, 11:47 AM)eliment Wrote: The lab class and the computer class are required for her to graduate from Clovis no getting around them or testing out them because my wife transferred over enough credits where all she has left is the residency requirement..However using the spreadsheet in quigongene's signature it seems like all my wife would need is a computer class which she can take for free through TEEX and hope that due to her veteran status that BOG will take just 2 columbia southern courses and everything else is covered!!

So yeah we are gonna move ahead with applying to BOG and wait the 6 months it seems to be taking to process transcripts!!

THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!

Sounds like a solid plan, I just want to caution you that they may not give her the same amount of JST credit as previous schools.

Every school evaluates them differently so you may want to take advantage of free and cheap credits in the meantime so you don't have any surprises in the end. Good luck!
(03-13-2018, 12:33 PM)nnahh Wrote: Sounds like a solid plan, I just want to caution you that they may not give her the same amount of JST credit as previous schools.

Speaking from experience, Pierpont took all 38 of my JST credits.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

(03-13-2018, 12:33 PM)nnahh Wrote: Sounds like a solid plan, I just want to caution you that they may not give her the same amount of JST credit as previous schools.

Every school evaluates them differently so you may want to take advantage of free and cheap credits in the meantime so you don't have any surprises in the end. Good luck!

That's a really good idea.  I would have her look at a TESU degree (or any of the Big 3 really), and figure out what she might want to take for a BA/BS, and then start taking courses through various ways to get credit towards that.  Then, she is killing 2 birds with 1 stone.  Between the free courses (11cr), Modern States (free courses and free CLEP exams) and the Study.com scholarship, she could get all of her BA courses completed for free, and only have the capstone and residency waiver to pay for, and she'd be done.  $3300 or so for those 2 things at TESU.  Not even kidding about being able to complete the coursework by the time she got the AAS.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Big 3. CLEP what she doesn't have (if CSU credits don't transfer).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Service = Credits Alpha 5 1,422 06-04-2022, 07:43 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  Nuclear Associates Degree natshar 20 4,760 10-02-2021, 03:04 PM
Last Post: Insert Name
  Straighterline 15 credits rayantanas 2 1,849 09-07-2019, 09:13 AM
Last Post: natshar
  TESU database of military credits? dfrecore 8 3,360 02-14-2019, 01:00 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Another CCAF thread about alternative credits Tracker 9 4,798 02-19-2018, 05:31 PM
Last Post: retire2018
  Taking a break between Associates and Bachelors mps2015 8 3,244 01-01-2017, 08:15 AM
Last Post: 25BangBang
  Advanced Enlistment with College Credits jmeitrem 15 7,149 05-02-2016, 05:16 PM
Last Post: C5259
  Cheap source of credits for veterans UptonSinclair 7 2,686 01-07-2015, 02:02 AM
Last Post: UptonSinclair
  CLEP/DSST credits for advanced enlistment? Arm4L1t3 10 3,100 09-25-2014, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Arm4L1t3
  how to verify credits? cookderosa 22 3,235 06-24-2013, 04:00 PM
Last Post: cookderosa